Men's LV Club

Hey Everyone, what do you guys think are the pros and cons of epi vs canvas. im looking at the christopher pm and cant decide between the two. what are the differences in terms of long term structure, cracking, scratches and overall wear/durability. Thanks. Right now I got the Josh(cup) appollo( cup) and Jake backpack. I also wondered if people feel the epi is more subtle when wearing. how do you guys guys use it.Thanks so much

I am fairly new to the LV world. Well I have been around it because of my mom and her love for this brand. But recently I started to buy it for myself. I went into the store yesterday with my mind set on buying the Christopher in damier graphite. I was also going to get my mom a bday gift and got her a bag too. She saw the Christopher in graphite and told me that there will be so many issues in the future. She said the design of the bag doesn't look comfortable and that the bottom of the bag, the canvas material is too light that she thinks the material will stretch and basically give a dip look. I did notice that there is not enough material in the base in my opinion as well. I am wondering if people noticed this as well or for the ones who have this bag does the bottom sag over time? or does it hold up over time. she also saw the side pockets and that the canvas is only pinched for that pocket shape and that over time the canvas will crack or ripe entirely. I do trust my mom because she does have experience with LV products. Also the pipe lining on the base and the pocket area, my mom noticed that it isn't even, its kinda wavy hahaha. She was like.... the quality of LV has declined so much lol. But she told me that I would be stupid to drop 3k on bag that is ill-formed/made. So I wanted this bag for its casual look and to use it as an office bag too. But I ended up buying the Anton briefcase in graphite hahahaha. I do love it a lot. But my mom literally bashed on the Christopher bag so much. But when we the Epi leather Christopher she told me that will be ok. The bag looks sturdy but the 4k price tag was a little to much for me. Maybe I will buy the Chris in Epi in the future... but wanted to know if there was any opinions good or bad with the Chris backpack from the people who have it.

Reactions: aykc
I am fairly new to the LV world. Well I have been around it because of my mom and her love for this brand. But recently I started to buy it for myself. I went into the store yesterday with my mind set on buying the Christopher in damier graphite. I was also going to get my mom a bday gift and got her a bag too. She saw the Christopher in graphite and told me that there will be so many issues in the future. She said the design of the bag doesn't look comfortable and that the bottom of the bag, the canvas material is too light that she thinks the material will stretch and basically give a dip look. I did notice that there is not enough material in the base in my opinion as well. I am wondering if people noticed this as well or for the ones who have this bag does the bottom sag over time? or does it hold up over time. she also saw the side pockets and that the canvas is only pinched for that pocket shape and that over time the canvas will crack or ripe entirely. I do trust my mom because she does have experience with LV products. Also the pipe lining on the base and the pocket area, my mom noticed that it isn't even, its kinda wavy hahaha. She was like.... the quality of LV has declined so much lol. But she told me that I would be stupid to drop 3k on bag that is ill-formed/made. So I wanted this bag for its casual look and to use it as an office bag too. But I ended up buying the Anton briefcase in graphite hahahaha. I do love it a lot. But my mom literally bashed on the Christopher bag so much. But when we the Epi leather Christopher she told me that will be ok. The bag looks sturdy but the 4k price tag was a little to much for me. Maybe I will buy the Chris in Epi in the future... but wanted to know if there was any opinions good or bad with the Chris backpack from the people who have it.
Hi timmylv3. Congratulations!
I use my Anton briefcase for work and take it with me for formal events too. Check out my post on Nov 20 last year.

Reactions: timmylv3
Here is my Keepall 45 Macassar :loveeyes: that I travel a lot with.

View attachment 4944267
Has anyone had issues with the MM handles being sticky due to storage? Mine which I purchased preloved had a date code 2018 and the handles were a bit sticky.. the seller offered to take it back and I as I needed 1 day to think and check with LV boutique if they can repair it, as I am afraid it might get worse over time. I am happy with the bag except for the handles.

Can someone advise who owns this encountered the same issue, how did you resolve it? TIA

Has anyone had issues with the MM handles being sticky due to storage? Mine which I purchased preloved had a date code 2018 and the handles were a bit sticky.. the seller offered to take it back and I as I needed 1 day to think and check with LV boutique if they can repair it, as I am afraid it might get worse over time. I am happy with the bag except for the handles.

Can someone advise who owns this encountered the same issue, how did you resolve it? TIA

I have the Christopher in Epi. I use the hell out of it... I take it on public transport and the gym and traveling and it still looks great and keeps its shape. I do keep it stuffed when not using it to prevent it from losing shape. I think I bought it a little over 5 years ago? I use it at least once a week (well not since the pandemic) but full disclosure I have more than 10 bags so I don’t use any single one many times in a row and I think that tends to keep them looking pretty good for a long time.

As for the bottom possibly sagging... I think the bottom is reinforced and also it gets quite narrow towards the bottom so unless you are carrying some very dense heavy small objects, I don’t think the bottom actually bears a ton of weight from everyday usage.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: timmylv3
I have the Christopher in Epi. I use the hell out of it... I take it on public transport and the gym and traveling and it still looks great and keeps its shape. I do keep it stuffed when not using it to prevent it from losing shape. I think I bought it a little over 5 years ago? I use it at least once a week (well not since the pandemic) but full disclosure I have more than 10 bags so I don’t use any single one many times in a row and I think that tends to keep them looking pretty good for a long time.

As for the bottom possibly sagging... I think the bottom is reinforced and also it gets quite narrow towards the bottom so unless you are carrying some very dense heavy small objects, I don’t think the bottom actually bears a ton of weight from everyday usage.

I hope this helps.
Just a follow up to this conversation, how does a Christopher macassar hold its shape over the years? I heard recently they have changed the leather on this item that made the quality less desirable?

Please confirm.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much!! I will save up and get the navy epi Christopher. I’m sold

From what I understand, sticky handles/bag straps due to glazing was an issue for certain batches of LV products. I bought a keepall in 2018 and in 2020, faced this exact problem. I think some other threads have also mentioned that 2018 bags suffered quite seriously from this problem. LV was willing to do a full and free repair (took only 3 weeks) and replaced the handles and strap entirely. The cost would otherwise be SG$660.

It seems like they changed the formulation for the glazing and leather, and the handles on the newer bags are different from the old ones - its a bit rougher and drier (i dont mean this in a bad way), as opposed to the older version which is very smooth and glossy and almost has a plasticky look to it.

From what I understand, sticky handles/bag straps due to glazing was an issue for certain batches of LV products. I bought a keepall in 2018 and in 2020, faced this exact problem. I think some other threads have also mentioned that 2018 bags suffered quite seriously from this problem. LV was willing to do a full and free repair (took only 3 weeks) and replaced the handles and strap entirely. The cost would otherwise be SG$660.

It seems like they changed the formulation for the glazing and leather, and the handles on the newer bags are different from the old ones - its a bit rougher and drier (i dont mean this in a bad way), as opposed to the older version which is very smooth and glossy and almost has a plasticky look to it.
Thanks for this information , this is certainly helpful for me. I kept the bag as I like the design a lot. I am going to the boutique tomorrow and hopefully will get the same offer to do the same.

May I ask, how do I ask if LV could do that replacement of the handles and strap with no charge , or I don’t need to ask for it and see what they have to say?

Thank you so much!! I will save up and get the navy epi Christopher. I’m sold
For sure! I know people that have 20 year old Epi pieces that still look new and hold their shape. Just keep it stuffed with air paper when not in use as with all other LV pieces. It will get superficial scratches which I call “beauty marks”, but it is a solid leather that takes a beating.

Reactions: timmylv3 and BULL
Love Macassar! The leather trim on the new macassar keepall is the rubberized leather used on the eclipse keepall. I thankfully got the original black dyed vachetta leather. I think they changed the leather in 2020.
I noticed the new leather as well in the new keepalls. The old leather was matt and could wrinkle. The new one looks super smooth, but I have noticed that some of the bags has some "bubbles" or folds in the leather. I would like a bag like this, but did not like the folds/bubbles I saw in the store.

Reactions: Madrye28