MELTONIAN...what have you used it on?

I use a fine microfiber cloth, the on you get in a household store.
MM, in Europe they recommend a Collonil product, I think it's called Diamant cream or somthing like that.

I use Saphir Renovateur from France. Someone brought a tube back for me and I think it is smoother than Meltonian. Unfortunately, now I can't find a source to ship it to the USA. Since i'm down to the end of the tube I am thinking about trying polish made by John Lobb. The company is owned by Hermes and makes custom shoes under John Lobb Bootmaker. They are in Europe, NY and soon CA. They said they would ship polish. They have a website are friendly over the phone.

After the discussion of caring for box calf, I thought this thread should be bumped up to the top because it offers some great advice.

(Apologies everyone for resurrecting sleeping threads... I'm still catching up after months of absence!)

One question - what exactly is it supposed to do? Clean the leather? Protect? Shine? Help with scratches? I got a free tub of Meltonian with my box birk but I'm still not sure what it's for :shame:

Also am I right in thinking that you are supposed to smooth it on, let it dry and then buff?

^^^ yeah, I would like to know more about method - and timing - too. I think I remember someone saying twice a year for meltonian on box...is that true?

Do you rub just a little on, let it dry all over, then buff it off? Or do you apply, then buff section by section? Or does it matter?

And, the white residue...on box, is that from a bit too much meltonian applied?

And finally, if one cleans and moisturizes, should they still go to spa once a year? Or is every other year sufficient?

TIA and thanks for resurrecting this thread, beaumonde!

LOL, you guys.......

Here's the S'Mom method of Meltonian Management.

I have used NEUTRAL Meltonian on Clemence, Swift/Gulliver, Box, Chamonix and Chevre without problems. I will try a little on my Ostrich later today when I feel brave and confident! LOL!

I put a dab on a clean, soft white cloth. Just a dab. Don't load the bag up with the stuff.

Rub LIGHTLY on a small area in a circular motion. No elbow grease here. LIGHTLY is the operative word. DO NOT LET IT DRY. Immediately, wipe the Meltonian off with another clean soft cloth and then buff LIGHTLY. Move to the next area and repeat. This will clean some surface dirty and condition the leather.

If you have black bags that need a little sprucing up, like perhaps a Box bag with rubbed corners (typical).....get Meltonian Black Shoe Polish. Most cobblers have this. Put a DAB of polish on a clean, soft white cloth and cover the rubs with it. This you can let set for a minute. Wipe the area with another soft, clean cloth and buff. I use a small, soft bristle shoe brush for the buffing. You can get these from the cobbler as well.

The key here is to use the cream sparingly when you use it and only ONCE a year if you intend to also send the bag to the spa.

This method has served me very well and I continue to clean/polish my own bags once a year (the corners of my box bags I do when needed) and send them off in rotation to the spa ONCE a year as well.

Hope this helps........:flowers::flowers::flowers: