Review Mason Pearson is the BEST brush EVER!!!!

considering getting this brush. I have very long, very thick hair (long like below your chest/mid back long). and recently my hair has been getting very dry and tangled and breaking

(also ive noticed a LOT more of my hair falling out and more often, my hair used to shed in the shower only and it would be somewhere between 10 and 30 strands - now its just clumps of hair, i cant even count the number and every morning when i go to do my hair or attempt to brush with a regular paddle brush more and more hair falls out)

which brush would you recommend???

Yeah I don't know if this is a brush issue. I mean yes, MP's are better/gentler on the hair then most other brushes on the market (love mine) and it may be beneficial to get one however what you're describing seems to be another issue - have you changed your diet recently? Switched shampoos/etc.? Started or discontinued a medication? (I had this problem after getting off of BC pills because of side effects, and a side effect of ending BC pills includes some amount of hair loss for a little bit) Have you had bloodwork done recently to see if your vitamin/mineral/etc levels are up to par? (being deficient in some of these can cause a whole host of issues including excessive hair loss) Are you getting enough protein in your diet? (this was also an issue for me and I lost hair until I bulked up my diet with more protein) All of these factors can cause abnormal amounts of hair loss - have you brought it up with a physician?

Supplements like a high quality fish oil and perhaps some biotin may also help, but its best to see if there are other issues at play (ex. you can take biotin til the cows come home but if you're not getting enough protein or you're deficient in a certain mineral it's not going to work lol)

Yeah I don't know if this is a brush issue. I mean yes, MP's are better/gentler on the hair then most other brushes on the market (love mine) and it may be beneficial to get one however what you're describing seems to be another issue - have you changed your diet recently? Switched shampoos/etc.? Started or discontinued a medication? (I had this problem after getting off of BC pills because of side effects, and a side effect of ending BC pills includes some amount of hair loss for a little bit) Have you had bloodwork done recently to see if your vitamin/mineral/etc levels are up to par? (being deficient in some of these can cause a whole host of issues including excessive hair loss) Are you getting enough protein in your diet? (this was also an issue for me and I lost hair until I bulked up my diet with more protein) All of these factors can cause abnormal amounts of hair loss - have you brought it up with a physician?

Supplements like a high quality fish oil and perhaps some biotin may also help, but its best to see if there are other issues at play (ex. you can take biotin til the cows come home but if you're not getting enough protein or you're deficient in a certain mineral it's not going to work lol)

your right - its not brush or product related - its vitamin/nutrient defficient related (i just went to the derm)

Just wondering what does everyone have all boar bristle or combination? I bought the combination and I love it but just wondering how the all boar bristle is. I'm thinking of maybe getting the pocket all boar so I can see how it is. I got the combination only because my daughter's hair is thick and I was afraid the all boar would not get through her hair. The combination has actually made my hair more manageable in washing every other day. Before I could see my hair being greasy by the end of the night. Would the all boar distribute the oils even more then the combination? And how often does everyone clean their brushes? I'm such a fanatic that I dry clean constantly to the point I think I might damage the brush. I can see maybe 3 of the boar bristles are bent already and I've had the brush for 2 months now.

Just wondering what does everyone have all boar bristle or combination? I bought the combination and I love it but just wondering how the all boar bristle is. I'm thinking of maybe getting the pocket all boar so I can see how it is. I got the combination only because my daughter's hair is thick and I was afraid the all boar would not get through her hair. The combination has actually made my hair more manageable in washing every other day. Before I could see my hair being greasy by the end of the night. Would the all boar distribute the oils even more then the combination? And how often does everyone clean their brushes? I'm such a fanatic that I dry clean constantly to the point I think I might damage the brush. I can see maybe 3 of the boar bristles are bent already and I've had the brush for 2 months now.

I got the combination, feel it has more bite. Pure boar bristle feels too soft to me.

I have to disagree with everyone here- I HATED IT. I have fine hair and the static it gave me was just... miserable. I tried to love it for over a month, no dice. It's not the dry weather- I use any other cheap brush?- no static. Boar bristles tend to do it to me anyway, but the MP was just awful. Maybe a version without the boar bristles would do well, but then I'm not entirely sure what the point would be :sad:

I love the Mason Pearson. My hair feels so different since I've begun to use it. I purchased the popular mix and it took me a little while to get used to the feeling, but now I love it. I have tried to cut down on washing/blowdrying every day, and this brush has made a huge difference in how effective dry shampoo is in my hair. The only minor issue with it was the way the handle felt while I would use it. Somewhat difficult to explain, but it felt like the handle was too small and the brush was too top heavy. I suppose that is because the handle is quite a bit smaller/thinner than brushes I've used in the past. However, after using it for a few months I don't notice it anymore.
I am a big advocate in using the best tools over the best products for hair and makeup. I've noticed that the right makeup brushes can make even cheaper makeup formulas work better for my skin, and using a better flat iron has made a larger difference in my hair than just upgrading my products. This brush is a perfect example of that - it has made a noticeable difference in my hair without changing anything else in my routine.
It is a little pricey - but I just waiting until Folica had a good coupon code (like 30% off) and purchased through them.

I have the small purse handy one my mom bought back in the 80's (still looks good!) and a couple years ago I bought the large mixed boar bristle brush. It doesn't pull my hair and cause breakage. Plus I swear it helps distribute the oils from my scalp leaivng me without greasy looking roots the next day.

I once didn't have it handy and used a regular cheap brush and afterwards I noticed how limp and flat my hair was! I had no idea until I switched to a cheaper brush. Love Mason Pearson and they are totally worth the price!

I have the small purse handy one my mom bought back in the 80's (still looks good!) and a couple years ago I bought the large mixed boar bristle brush. It doesn't pull my hair and cause breakage. Plus I swear it helps distribute the oils from my scalp leaivng me without greasy looking roots the next day.

So which do you like better? The mixed bristle or just bristle

Hi! I'm thinking of finally splurging on an MP brush too! I'm just stuck on size... I have longish straight hair of medium thickness (almost down to my lower back), and the brush I currently use is about the same size as the Handy. Just wondering should I get the Junior, Handy or Pocket sized? Thanks in advance xx

The longer the hair, the bigger size I'd go personally. I have a full size and one that fits in my purse. The full size one works for my long hair better, the small works in a pinch/touch up.

I ended up purchasing the MP Handy in blue (boar/nylon mixed). Love it! Makes the hair so shiny and soft, gets all the tangles out without yanking on the hair either. Best splurge ever!