Martha Stewart Show - for handbag fanatics ! (like us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's what the ticket confirmation email says--tell me if YOU think this sounds like a recipe for tackiness??

Women in our live studio audience should bring in their "investment handbag". Was there a purse/handbag that you splurged on because you knew it was an investment? A Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Hermes, (or any other high-end designer bag). We'll also show you the latest in "investment bags" in a fashion show hosted by Blueprint's editor Katie Hatch...

Hmmmm.

And also? I don't mean this to come out wrong, but was I asleep while Coach started making actual high end bags? I guess they have those limited edition whatevers, but every one I have seen in a magazine or elsewhere has looked like something out of a rapper's closet. And they're all made in China as far as I'm aware. It just confuses me to see Coach listed in the same category as even Chanel or LV, let alone Hermes. One of these things is not like the others.

OK here's what the ticket confirmation email says--tell me if YOU think this sounds like a recipe for tackiness??

And also? I don't mean this to come out wrong, but was I asleep while Coach started making actual high end bags?
:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:
I thought the same thing as I read it. It's horrible and bratty of me to say, but I was thinking "huh. that's not really much of an investment."

I don't know if I'd make a special trip downtown. But I'm confused - is the whole show on handbags? The shows I've seen have had segments - maybe this is a special for the new season?

It's horrible and bratty of me to say, but I was thinking "huh. that's not really much of an investment."

Hee. Well at least I'm not going to burn in hell alone! LOL!!

Yeah, I have no idea if the whole show is on bags--it seems like it, since they made a big deal out of the RSVP process and they're apparently taping on a day that they normally don't tape?
I really can't decide if I want to subject myself to all this. Maybe if it cools off a bit, it wouldn't seem like such a bad idea, but it's been like 90+ degrees here and traversing the city in that heat is just awful.

OK here's what the ticket confirmation email says--Women in our live studio audience should bring in their "investment handbag". Was there a purse/handbag that you splurged on because you knew it was an investment? We'll also show you the latest in "investment bags" in a fashion show hosted by Blueprint's editor Katie Hatch....

i get why they'd want audience members to bring in their handbags for the show. the question is, will they give me an extra chair to put my crocs and ostriches to sit on when i show up cause i can't decide which one to bring :roflmfao: and won't put them on the floor? or do i bring little rainkits and spread them out on the floor. oh too much trouble i will just stay home.

tell me about it! i love coach but its not high end. there are those who insist that it is though.

Women in our live studio audience should bring in their "investment handbag". Was there a purse/handbag that you splurged on because you knew it was an investment? A Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Hermes, (or any other high-end designer bag). We'll also show you the latest in "investment bags" in a fashion show hosted by Blueprint's editor Katie Hatch...

Hmmmm.

And also? I don't mean this to come out wrong, but was I asleep while Coach started making actual high end bags? I guess they have those limited edition whatevers, but every one I have seen in a magazine or elsewhere has looked like something out of a rapper's closet. And they're all made in China as far as I'm aware. It just confuses me to see Coach listed in the same category as even Chanel or LV, let alone Hermes. One of these things is not like the others.

Per Tivo online scheduling looks like this may be the air date

10am Sept. 14th with replays on the following Monday and Tuesday at different times

Martha

"Handbag fashion show with Katie Hatch" Handbag fashion show with Katie Hatch, fashion editor for Blueprint magazine; radio-show hosts Alexis Stewart and Jennifer Koppelman Hutt; gardener Amy Goldman cooks with Martha. View in Grid

coach does make bags in the 300-500 dollar range (and possibly some higher). and that is an investment for lots of people. and no small amount of money imo.

I'm not trying to slam Coach, necessarily, I just don't think it belongs in that list. As you probably know, I own plenty of Coach bags which I've had for many years (though I think their new stuff is largely crap).

My point was that the invitation specifically asks "have you splurged on a bag because you considered it an investment"...implying to me anyway that it would hold its value or possibly increase in value. I don't know of too many bags by anyone which can do that, except Hermes and a few limited editions by other people here and there. So to me, in that respect, there's really only one brand that I consider an investment handbag. Maybe it's an issue of semantics, in that I read "investment" to mean one thing and others might interpret it as meaning "spent a relative lot of money on it". Which makes sense, of course.

At any rate, I'm not going. Too much other stuff to do this week.

and i read investment as an investment in oneself. and most people (because i don't believe purse forumers to be the norm) consider a nice leather handbag to be an investment, something that will make them look more polished at work and the weekend. and coach, while it may not be hermes, makes a nice leather handbag.

I have to admit that I actually enjoy carrying my H bags without being 'noticed'...I love the beauty of the bags and don't care if someone knows it's H..so many around here would think they are frivolous spending. I'd rather keep the 'secret' of them to myself. That's just me though....I'll watch the show and hope all of you who go will have a great time!! Let us know when the taping will air..

Hmmmm.

I totally agree with you about Coach. While it's an extremely popular brand, I don't see it as an "investment" IMHO but a decent bag along the lines Kate Spade, Dooney & Bourke, etc. Perhaps the staffer or intern who wrote up that ticket info thinks Coach is a "high end investment bag."

A few years ago I saw a red Hampton tote in Croc at one of the bigger stores in Manhattan. It was $9,000 and lovely. To me that is a lot of money. Some might consider that an investment bag.
God! I assume it was a super special one of a kind (or one of a few)...that IS a lot of money.
Hlfinn, I see your point about interpreting that email as meaning an investment in oneself. I just didn't read it that way. It was titled "Investment Handbags", or "Investment Quality Handbags" or something like that.

Again, I am not slamming Coach here--their older bags were beautifully made out of lovely quality leather. I just don't feel that 99% of what Coach sells today is to be considered an investment quality item. That's just my opinion and I'm not trying to be snobbish.

Sadly, what I associate Coach with nowadays is beauties like this:
55d8_1.JPG

Ahem.

Status
Not open for further replies.