Mansur Gavriel MANSUR GAVRIEL General Chat Thread

How are you liking the calf one? I just ordered the mini lady bag in blush from Ssense and can't wait to feel the leather. I've only gotten veg tanned for my other MG bags.

I really like it! It doesn't quite hold the structure the same as the veg tanned ones (noting mine are still new) but it's not like it is crazy slouchy or anything like that. It's still a relatively structured bag and I don't feel like the look of the bag is compromised at all.

I guess a good example is from when I was taking that photo. The two veg tanned bags didn't need any filler in them to stand up perfectly straight, but the calf skin just looked a little better with some filler at the bottom. It didn't slouch like a balenciaga city or anything like that! The bottom just bent a little and it didn't stand up quite so perfectly. It's hard to see in the photo - there is a subtle difference in the way they're standing there though.

I store all my bags with filler (I use a dustbag from a smaller bag and put in that plastic inflatable void filler stuff or, if I'm out, crumpled up tissue paper) - the veg tanned ones don't strictly need it (right now at least) but I feel like the calf one does.

It works really well for me for the way I wear that particular bag - I use the top handle over my shoulder so the bag sits under my arm where something a bit softer seems to work better. I'm not sure I'd love the calf in the bucket bag, but I think it works well in the lady bags.

Oh, I think the leather feels thicker than the veg tanned too.

Hope that helps!

I really like it! It doesn't quite hold the structure the same as the veg tanned ones (noting mine are still new) but it's not like it is crazy slouchy or anything like that. It's still a relatively structured bag and I don't feel like the look of the bag is compromised at all.

I guess a good example is from when I was taking that photo. The two veg tanned bags didn't need any filler in them to stand up perfectly straight, but the calf skin just looked a little better with some filler at the bottom. It didn't slouch like a balenciaga city or anything like that! The bottom just bent a little and it didn't stand up quite so perfectly. It's hard to see in the photo - there is a subtle difference in the way they're standing there though.

I store all my bags with filler (I use a dustbag from a smaller bag and put in that plastic inflatable void filler stuff or, if I'm out, crumpled up tissue paper) - the veg tanned ones don't strictly need it (right now at least) but I feel like the calf one does.

It works really well for me for the way I wear that particular bag - I use the top handle over my shoulder so the bag sits under my arm where something a bit softer seems to work better. I'm not sure I'd love the calf in the bucket bag, but I think it works well in the lady bags.

Hope that helps!

Makes sense! Thanks for that detailed description I think it's really helpful for those deciding between the different leathers and color ways. Will let you all know how I like the mini calf ladybag!

I know this is a tough (perhaps impossible) question...

I was reading that the veg tanned ones will get a gorgeous patina over time. Does anyone know how much wear/what treatment will bring out the patina? Is there a way of hurrying it along?

I know 'how much wear' is such a ridiculous question, but wondering if anyone had a rough idea or be able to say '6 months of rough daily wear' or something like that.

I know this is a tough (perhaps impossible) question...

I was reading that the veg tanned ones will get a gorgeous patina over time. Does anyone know how much wear/what treatment will bring out the patina? Is there a way of hurrying it along?

I know 'how much wear' is such a ridiculous question, but wondering if anyone had a rough idea or be able to say '6 months of rough daily wear' or something like that.
Leather conditioner and sun exposure accelerated mine.

Reactions: prepster
Is anyone else having trouble selling MGs lately? I have found they're definitely not being sought after like they were. I know they're easy to get now but even with a substantial amount off retail I'm just getting no interest so I wonder if people are still buying them new as much as they were. Regret not selling the ones I want to offload a while ago...

I ended up donating mine. I deleted my Posh closet a few months ago and didn't really want to waste time on eBay answering a barrage of questions and requests for more photos. Didn't seem worth it for the hassle so I'm just taking the donation credit. You may want to consider that if it's going to take too long to offload.

Reactions: lexus72
I'm selling to clear space, so I'm happy to keep them if I don't get an ok price. I'm sure someone would be happy to pay $50 if I really wanted them gone.
I have given up for now and will hold onto them for a while even though they are unused.

I'm trying to decide between the lady bag and the mini lady bag and didn't realize that there was so much size difference. I don't want a tiny bag but I'm finding most of my bags are tending to be quite large and when I go out they need their own chair. Is your sand Lady Bag the really large one (discontinued I believe) or the standard. Your pic makes it look so much larger than the mini. Thanks.

Finally, they arrived! I'm in Australia and had to use a freight forwarding company to get the one off Tradesy.

So, the Lady Bag in sand is off Tradesy. The black Mini Bucket (raw interior) and the brandy Mini Lady Bag (brick interior) are new from the MG website. All are veg tanned.

I opened the bag from Tradesy first - I actually thought it was nearly brand new because it still smells of leather and is in perfect condition. The leather on it is really soft. Then I opened the new bags and realised that the Tradesy one must have had some wear because the leather seems to start off really quite firm - the new ones definitely need some wearing in!

So very happy with them. And I only got one in black - pretty proud of that!

View attachment 3566376

Sorry I posted earlier without using the quote function. Did you say the sand Lady Bag was the really large (I think the discontinued size). I looks so much bigger than the mini lady bag. I'm waffling over which size. It took me two weeks to decide between the calf in Navy and yet another black bag because I am enamoured with the veg tanned leather. Thanks.

Sorry I posted earlier without using the quote function. Did you say the sand Lady Bag was the really large (I think the discontinued size). I looks so much bigger than the mini lady bag. I'm waffling over which size. It took me two weeks to decide between the calf in Navy and yet another black bag because I am enamoured with the veg tanned leather. Thanks.

Yes, the Lady Bag I have is large - actually quite large - and there's a big difference between the two. Just measured it and it's (very roughly) 13.5" H x 16" W.

I just looked at the MG website and they say the Lady is 10.5” H X 13.5” W X 5” D and the Mini Lady is 8.5” H X 12” W X 4.5” D.

I think mine is larger...maybe an older bag? The Mini Lady I have seems true to what's on the website. Based on what's on the website, there shouldn't be a great deal of difference between them...

Actually, do you want me to post a photo of both MG bags next to another bag? I have a few that are a medium to large size that may be useful for size comparison - I have a Mulberry Bayswater, Balenciaga City, Coach Swagger 27, Michael Kors Selma Tote, Givenchy Large Antigona Tote, Mulberry Small New Bayswater or a Balenciaga First. They're all in the same realm, if you have any of these...

Some pics of the regular lady and mini lady together.

Attachments

• 20170131_195709.jpeg
    20170131_195709.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 934
  • 20170131_195702.jpeg
    20170131_195702.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 937
  • 20170131_195653.jpeg
    20170131_195653.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 965
  • 20170131_195644.jpeg
    20170131_195644.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 952
  • 20170131_195636.jpeg
    20170131_195636.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
Actually, do you want me to post a photo of both MG bags next to another bag? I have a few that are a medium to large size that may be useful for size comparison - I have a Mulberry Bayswater, Balenciaga City, Coach Swagger 27, Michael Kors Selma Tote, Givenchy Large Antigona Tote, Mulberry Small New Bayswater or a Balenciaga First. They're all in the same realm, if you have any of these...
I actually don't have any of these bags. Lol! But now knowing that you have the really large one it helps. How are you liking the calf leather? Does it hold the structure well?

I actually don't have any of these bags. Lol! But now knowing that you have the really large one it helps. How are you liking the calf leather? Does it hold the structure well?

I do have too many bags!

Here's what I wrote about the calf leather earlier:

Hope that helps!

Some pics of the regular lady and mini lady together.
How do you find the lady bag compared to the mini for everyday (not work). I often carry my iPad mini, a pencil case size bag inside with lipsticks, pen, etc, my phone and a regular wallet. Not much else, as when I'm out and about, I don't want my bag too heavy. I'm wanting to lean towards smaller but not tiny. Any difference with the sizes when it comes to carrying it cross body. Does one lie flatter than the other. I'm leaning toward a Blu in Calf, just need to figure out size.