Mad Men

Oooh i've only just discovered the show! Just finished the the entire first season over the week!!

Argh am i the only one who wants to b*tchslap Pete Campbell whenever he has a scene? Grrrrr

^haha, no you're not, esp at the beginning of the series.

but lately, they've really been putting in effort to make you feel a bit of sympathy for him. there was something about that last convo he had with peggy that, even though he's a cheating bastard who used her, made you feel kinda sorry for him. even though she had every right to tell him to f*ck off, even though she politely told him to go away.... i felt a bit bad for him. and earlier in the season when his dad died too.

i can't hate pete and i think that's the beauty of his character. on the surface, we really have every reason to. but he's a lot more complex than the simple love to hate 'em character.

I think Betty almost believed him; he's the best faker ever, she probably didnt WANT it to be true, AND she wasn't finding anything..... You could tell she was sort of feeling defeated, but at the last minute, no way, she decided to trust her intuition. It played great. Earlier, she would have let it go.

I love how they showed the napkin with the campaign from one of the very first episodes. I think even in the first scene of the series he had one of those.... nice detail.

in her last scene, when she saw jimmy barret in that RIDICULOUS commercial... i almost thought she was going to think, i'm believing this ridiculous jackass over my husband? it really could've gone either way. when she was on the phone, up until the moment when she told him not to come home, it was a total toss up. they dragged it out a bit, i think we were supposed to be wondering what exactly she'll say to him in response to that commercial.

in her last scene, when she saw jimmy barret in that RIDICULOUS commercial... i almost thought she was going to think, i'm believing this ridiculous jackass over my husband? it really could've gone either way. when she was on the phone, up until the moment when she told him not to come home, it was a total toss up. they dragged it out a bit, i think we were supposed to be wondering what exactly she'll say to him in response to that commercial.

I think what he was saying in the commercial played its dual purpose because he seemed to be telling her not to be made a fool of. It could make sense so many ways though, that commercial. Betty and Jimmy were both the wronged parties. She was none the wiser, he however was smarter, and right.

They set the whole thing up really well. Don's false logic worked really well. It was all, in fact, true as well.

Yay! I am so glad to have found this thread. I have been obsessed since early last season. So, the betty thing--I am convinced something crazy is going to happen to her and/or she is going to do something crazy. I know I would :smile:

^she's ready to snap, that's for sure. not just her discovering don's affair, but the "mysterious" issues she's been having throughout the show, aka the feminine mystique syndrome. i think it's even more complicated by the fact that she doesn't have any hard evidence, she's only going on jimmy barrett's word vs. don's. he asked her what she knew, what she had on him, and she didn't have anything. now she has to truly go on instinct alone, and her instinct and real self is something she's repressed for so long.

That was a great interview with Jimmy Kimmel. Thanks for posting MichelleAntonia!

I like that they're friends in real life. I wonder if he will be over at Jimmy's house again watching football before the Emmy Awards.:P Go Jon!