Mad Men Season 5

Just saw Jon Hamm and his gf Jennifer walking on the upper west side when i went out to lunch...my co-worker is obsessed with the show and totally inspired me to start watching this weekend. She has all the DVD's...can't wait to start watching so i can catch up to this season!

Remind me please, is Roger still married to that 11 year old?

Yes I just watched the last 5 episodes....

Summary in case anyone forgot what happenned, using spoilers in case

Roger and Jane still married but he is disenchanted, had affair with Joan. Joan got pregnant by Roger and was supposed to have an abortion but did not. Roger or anyone in the office does not know she is pregnant yet. Her husband does and thinks it is his, he is still in Vietnam

Don- engaged to Megan in the last episode after he took her to Calif to settle his affairs there after his friend Mrs Draper died as he needed someone to watch the kids. Engagment announcement was a shock to all. Joan thinks he will make her a copy writer because she "admires" Peggy and Don told Peggy this and Megan told him she wanted to be a copy writer or artist. Plus Joan thinks he will not want his wife to be a secretary. He told Betty at the end and she had her usual emotionless reaction. Don was still seeing that Dr Miller woman who ran the focus groups when he went off to Calif with Megan and the kids. To say she was shocked when Don broke things off AND said he was getting married is an understatement.

Betty- marriage seems in trouble, she appears bored. She fired Carla the children's nanny because she allowed Sally to play with that boy (can't remember his name, the odd kid). Her husband is really upset that she fired Carla and will not even provide her with a letter of recommendation. Now they are selling the house because Betty now thinks there is a "bad element" in the neighborhood. I think she is shocked by Don's announcement of engagement even though she said nothing. She looked crushed because in the house before it was sold and locked up she went there knowing she would run into Don and think she was hoping something would happen

The agency is in trouble. They lost Lucky Strike. Had to layoff a bunch of minor players (show wise). Roger screwed this up by not telling everyone for weeks and only when he had to. He was supposed to fly to NC to meet with them and save the account. He only pretended to do so. He told Joan the truth and she seems to have lost respect for him and that is when she broke off the relationship

Peggy & Ken Cosgrove landed a panty hose account at the episode. Not Lucky Strike big but it was the first account anyone landed after losing LS. They seemed to have become black listed after and then Don wrote that anti-cigarette letter to the NY Times. They did pro bono for the American Cancer Society.

Peggy was with some beatnik kinda guy, not sure what his name or if this is ongoing

Joan was made Director of Operations - title only, no money, she is not thrilled

Lane has his family back in US. His father came from London and beat him for dallying with an African American waitress at a Playboy type club and ordered him to get his family in order.

Pete and Trudy had a baby girl. His father in law is trying to get him to leave the agency. After the partners were all supposed to kick in like $50k a pop to keep the agency afloat, Pete did not have the money and was surprised that Don covered his part to repay Pete for contacting his Fed Agency friend and calling off the Security Clearance check so they could land a govt account. And Pete took the fall for losing the account to protect Don. Don was afraid they would find out who he was and deserting the military

That's a good synopsis Melissa, thank you for that.

There have been some fierce discussions in past Mad Men threads about the behavior of some the characters, especially Don and Betty. I can't blame anyone for being infuriated at Don for all the things he's done over the years, but the only time I've ever been infuriated at him was when he fired Salvatore for rejecting the advance of Lee Garner Jr. who then insisted Salvatore be fired or else they were going to lose the account.

He fired Salvatore, then they lost the account anyways. I don't think you should ever desert a member of your team that way, but Don does have a history of being a deserter. In the case of Sal, Don sold out for nothing. Captain Picard would have stuck by Sal even if it meant bankrupting the agency.

I hope they bring back Sal one day. They did bring Freddy Rumsen back after all.

I wonder if Glenn will come back. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't since Matt Weiner has a history of keeping the flings of the major characters brief, like most of Don's mistresses and Father Gill (after his attempted courtship of Peggy). I think Don's original mistress Midge might continue to make cameos until the series is over, especially with the hippy era approaching. Maybe she will meet Sally?

I would have liked to have seen Don try to black mail Lee Garner Jr with the Sal thing but.....yes I would like to see him back too even if he just did the occasional free lance job for them. But I can see why he did it, even if I don't agree. Lucky Strike was obviously their top revenue generating account. Then and now. Without it, it cripples their business. I don't think Don liked it but it was a sacrifice for the "greater good" so to speak. Fire one person to save hundreds of jobs. Think Don was ok with Sal's sexuality as long as it did not impact business and kept it a secret from the others.

And LGjr obviously made other crazy demands and had everyone jump through hoops for him, he expected this or he would take his toys and money and go home. Remember the Santa suit thing? Different I know but he wanted to humiliate Roger and see how far he would go to keep his business.

Midge was back also for the last episode or two....it was all very awkward. My favorite of Don's mistresses were the school teacher and the the Dept Store owner. I think he had most in common with the Dept Store owner. Don truly is one of those men that has scarred all his women for life and does not even realize it. It will take Dr. Miller years to get past this. The school teacher was supposed to run away with and he left her sitting outside for hours and gave her no explanation while Betty busted his identity? Imagine if you were that teacher? Think Midge was the only one who was truly casual in her relationship with Don. And you know the Dept Store woman is not happy with that dorky guy she married when she ran into Don at the restaurant with yet another mistress Bobbi. She was not my favorite but she was amusing

The ironic thing is that we all know these Tabbacco accounts will soon be worth nothing since the govt put such strict rules on them they cannot do TV, radio or print ads and cannot even sponsor Nascar...remember the Winston Cup anyone? But believe that is a decade or so down the road.

That's a good synopsis Melissa, thank you for that.

There have been some fierce discussions in past Mad Men threads about the behavior of some the characters, especially Don and Betty. I can't blame anyone for being infuriated at Don for all the things he's done over the years, but the only time I've ever been infuriated at him was when he fired Salvatore for rejecting the advance of Lee Garner Jr. who then insisted Salvatore be fired or else they were going to lose the account.

He fired Salvatore, then they lost the account anyways. I don't think you should ever desert a member of your team that way, but Don does have a history of being a deserter. In the case of Sal, Don sold out for nothing. Captain Picard would have stuck by Sal even if it meant bankrupting the agency.

I hope they bring back Sal one day. They did bring Freddy Rumsen back after all.

I wonder if Glenn will come back. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't since Matt Weiner has a history of keeping the flings of the major characters brief, like most of Don's mistresses and Father Gill (after his attempted courtship of Peggy). I think Don's original mistress Midge might continue to make cameos until the series is over, especially with the hippy era approaching. Maybe she will meet Sally?

I will they would bring Sal back, as well. I thought his storyline was really interesting. It was not a good time for a gay man...

Ready for the new season...just got all 4 season DVD's on Blu-ray at Costco for 11.99 a season. They are beautifully filmed...:heart:

I will they would bring Sal back, as well. I thought his storyline was really interesting. It was not a good time for a gay man...

Ready for the new season...just got all 4 season DVD's on Blu-ray at Costco for 11.99 a season. They are beautifully filmed...:heart:
Agree! Sal is one of my favorite characters. So pumped for tonight!