LV or Gucci?

Thanks for your help guys. I think you all have valid points. I think I have learned that Gucci is quality though. I have been going to the Gucci store here in Atlanta. I was really surprised at how large the medium boston bags are. They don't look that large in the pictures. After really looking around on this forum and learning that you can actually order from an outlet without going to one. I contacted the Gucci outlet in MD and he sent me a list of items. It actually is the same list that was last posted on the "sale and outlets" topic here. I ended up getting two purses, that cute bue whale pouch, my son those really cute leather sneakers with the gucci print. I got them all for the price that one purse was going to cost me at the store so I feel pretty good. There are no returns so I hope I like it all! I will post pics when they come.:graucho:

Thanks for your help guys. I think you all have valid points. I think I have learned that Gucci is quality though. I have been going to the Gucci store here in Atlanta. I was really surprised at how large the medium boston bags are. They don't look that large in the pictures. After really looking around on this forum and learning that you can actually order from an outlet without going to one. I contacted the Gucci outlet in MD and he sent me a list of items. It actually is the same list that was last posted on the "sale and outlets" topic here. I ended up getting two purses, that cute bue whale pouch, my son those really cute leather sneakers with the gucci print. I got them all for the price that one purse was going to cost me at the store so I feel pretty good. There are no returns so I hope I like it all! I will post pics when they come.:graucho:

Congrats! I'm glad you got the purse you were looking for at a great price!

:woohoo: Good for you! Ordering by mail can be so exciting. That's how I got my Gucci-online. I chose the Joy Imprime Boston bag in antique rose. It's a lovely bag. You're right about the size-it's a generous bag, about the size of an LV Speedy 30. The Imprime canvas is so strong and durable. Hope you enjoy your bags as much as I enjoy mine.:choochoo::jrs:

Oh really? Tell me more ha ha :graucho:

I was told by a Gucci boutique SA in a Nordstrom store that the Gucci family started out by making equestrian tack (saddles, bridles, all that) and that's part of what made me fall in love with the brand because I love horses as well. Well I read a book that addressed that point (I wish I could remember the name of the book but it was a biography) and it stated that was just a rumor that started because of the use of bit and stirrup looking hardware and the Gucci's went along with it and continued with the designs. I mean, own your design. That's just me though lol. More irritating was that the SA wasn't even educated enough to know this story was false.

I have a crystal joy Boston and 2 lv speedies...they are.about the same quality in my opinion. But here's the kicker...my dooney and Bourke satchel that I have used amd thrown around for the past 4 years) has more durability. Im not a huge dooney fan...so dont get me wrong...just wanted to share that interesting tidbit :smile:

I was told by a Gucci boutique SA in a Nordstrom store that the Gucci family started out by making equestrian tack (saddles, bridles, all that) and that's part of what made me fall in love with the brand because I love horses as well. Well I read a book that addressed that point (I wish I could remember the name of the book but it was a biography) and it stated that was just a rumor that started because of the use of bit and stirrup looking hardware and the Gucci's went along with it and continued with the designs. I mean, own your design. That's just me though lol. More irritating was that the SA wasn't even educated enough to know this story was false.

Oh I see. LOL. Well SAs were are very good with history or even inventory in some cases. You are correct though, in recent history the origins of the company and the dates were obscured by BS until someone actually did some proper research on it.

Guccio Gucci's family were originally straw hat makers, and it was only after a stint in London as a bell-boy carrying luggagefor the rich and infamous that he knew that in his native Florence leather-workers could make better and with superior materials. Actually G Gucci was proud of his 'heritage' (the bell-boy carrying luggage as a symbol was used by Gucci until it was changed by the son Aldo into the knight carrying shopping bags) and never glossed over it in favour of a more 'noble' background, that was his sons at a time when many Italian aristocrats started working in the fashion business like Pucci and a keen rivalry was felt between Hermes and Gucci evident by a very similar clientele such as Jackie Bouvier (think of the Trim I and 11 /Bouvier and Jackie bag) and Princess Grace (think of the Kelly and the Flora print).

There were much darker things going on with/at Gucci that I won't bother anyone with, it might put you off the brand completely :biggrin:

All I know is, the actual items that I have bought and are in my wardrobe from Gucci are comparable or better to any other brands I possess or have seen. I don't seem to ever regret a purchase from them, I wish I could say the same for everything. And now Gucci do an equestrian range too ;)

Oh I see. LOL. Well SAs were are very good with history or even inventory in some cases. You are correct though, in recent history the origins of the company and the dates were obscured by BS until someone actually did some proper research on it.

Guccio Gucci's family were originally straw hat makers, and it was only after a stint in London as a bell-boy carrying luggagefor the rich and infamous that he knew that in his native Florence leather-workers could make better and with superior materials. Actually G Gucci was proud of his 'heritage' (the bell-boy carrying luggage as a symbol was used by Gucci until it was changed by the son Aldo into the knight carrying shopping bags) and never glossed over it in favour of a more 'noble' background, that was his sons at a time when many Italian aristocrats started working in the fashion business like Pucci and a keen rivalry was felt between Hermes and Gucci evident by a very similar clientele such as Jackie Bouvier (think of the Trim I and 11 /Bouvier and Jackie bag) and Princess Grace (think of the Kelly and the Flora print).

There were much darker things going on with/at Gucci that I won't bother anyone with, it might put you off the brand completely :biggrin:

All I know is, the actual items that I have bought and are in my wardrobe from Gucci are comparable or better to any other brands I possess or have seen. I don't seem to ever regret a purchase from them, I wish I could say the same for everything. And now Gucci do an equestrian range too ;)

Oh! I think i know the scandal. I have and read a book by Gerald McKnight called Gucci: A House Divided. It's about the inside account of the battle for the Gucci Empire. I read and it kind of repulsed me. Especially Aldo and Rodolfo and their family hatred for each other and i felt bad about the way they treated Paolo and OH GOD...Aldo's Tax Fraud that got caught...SCANDALOUS! Rodolfo and Aldo just seemed so evil..

Oh! I think i know the scandal. I have and read a book by Gerald McKnight called Gucci: A House Divided. It's about the inside account of the battle for the Gucci Empire. I read and it kind of repulsed me. Especially Aldo and Rodolfo and their family hatred for each other and i felt bad about the way they treated Paolo and OH GOD...Aldo's Tax Fraud that got caught...SCANDALOUS! Rodolfo and Aldo just seemed so evil..

LOL, :yes:, I've read a lot of books and it really is like the 1980s Dynasty soap opera. I think the problem with Aldo and Rodolfo was Aldo wanted Gucci to be bigger and bigger at all costs and Rodolfo (an former silent movie star) wanted Gucci to the best and the most exclusive. Guccio also left his daughter out of his will regarding shares (although she worked for Gucci all her life) because she was a woman :rant:

Then there was the plotted murder of Maurizio Gucci and all the stuff Paolo did to get back at the family including owning 'fake' Gucci factories of his own and the whole sorry scandal when his last wife divorced him, which I really am not going to go into details with :-s.

Last edited:

I meant to say of course "SAs are NOT very good with history or even inventory in some cases.

They do get reg training but I think it goes in one ear and out the other. How I miss my old SM and my old SA too :crybaby:

LOL, :yes:, I've read a lot of books and it really is like the 1980s Dynasty soap opera. I think the problem with Aldo and Rodolfo was Aldo wanted Gucci to be bigger and bigger at all costs and Rodolfo (an former silent movie star) wanted Gucci to the best and the most exclusive. Guccio also left his daughter out of his will regarding shares (although she worked for Gucci all her life) because she was a woman :rant:

Then there was the plotted murder of Maurizio Gucci and all the stuff Paolo did to get back at the family including owning 'fake' Gucci factories of his own and the whole sorry scandal when his last wife divorced him, which I really am not going to go into details with :-s.

I know!!!! but i really felt bad for Paolo...his own father went to court with him and Rodolfo was mean!!!! And yes...it was scary..Maurizio's plotted murder...and Paolo tried to make Gucci Plus (i wudnt consider this fake but its like another brand altogether lol) but failed and i kinda like it that Aldo got into trouble for his tax fraud...

I know!!!! but i really felt bad for Paolo...his own father went to court with him and Rodolfo was mean!!!! And yes...it was scary..Maurizio's plotted murder...and Paolo tried to make Gucci Plus (i wudnt consider this fake but its like another brand altogether lol) but failed and i kinda like it that Aldo got into trouble for his tax fraud...

That was all Maurizio's doing, his shopped his own uncle :Push: Oy, what a family!

Wow, interesting stories! You guys are very knowledgeable! I know what you mean about sales people not knowing much sometimes. I buy Swarovski figurines and jewelry. At one store I go to they know me and they also know everything about pieces which are coming out etc. There is another store at a mall I sometimes go to and the people there know nothing about the merchandise. I find myself telling them things and sometimes and I have to stop myself. Do you guys know anything about LV being involved with Nazi's? I have heard that he supplied them with leather goods.

Wow, interesting stories! You guys are very knowledgeable! I know what you mean about sales people not knowing much sometimes. I buy Swarovski figurines and jewelry. At one store I go to they know me and they also know everything about pieces which are coming out etc. There is another store at a mall I sometimes go to and the people there know nothing about the merchandise. I find myself telling them things and sometimes and I have to stop myself. Do you guys know anything about LV being involved with Nazi's? I have heard that he supplied them with leather goods.

I heard of that story before and read it somewhere and it is quite interesting. LV wasn't the only designer to work with Nazis because Nazi Uniforms were made and designed by Hugo Boss and don't forget Coco Chanel's fling with the Nazi general.

I am kind of wondering about the kinds of "boston" bags that are out there. The two I got at the MD outlet are not the ones I see in the store and on the website. The ones in the store have smaller handles and seem to be thicker. The ones I got look like they have longer handles and the handles go half way down the purse, they don't have that strip that goes all around the bag if you know what I mean. The guy I talked with at the outlet said they didn't have any boston bags, but had boston style ones, so I think that is what I got. I do like the pictures of the ones I got but I guess I won't know completely how they are until I get them. I am guessing they will come this week..