LV or Gucci?

moosethedog

Feb 12, 2012
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a nice bag. I like Gucci because it is not overplayed like LV is. I don't know I just can't get into them, but I do see a new fabric which looks sort of interesting to me. Anyway, I have been going up to the Gucci store eyeing everything. I do like the Boston bags. Are Gucci bags as good quality as LV?

Yes, they are as good quality but don't buy anything you "can't get into". Save your money or buy something else. Just because you don't want another LV, why force yourself to purchase from a brand you're not attracted to, it's too bizarre :shrugs:

There's a lot of brands out there, I wouldn't buy Gucci just because it's not LV. Buy a purse you like because of it's style and that it compliments your lifestyle. Where I live there is Gucci, LV, Celine, Balenciaga, Chanel and Prada constantly, does this mean I need to buy Hermes? Of course not! I buy what I like.

I think you guys misinterpreted me. I don't like LV at all. I don't even own one. I don't even own one luxury handbag. I am very attracted to Gucci, always have been. I have it in my head (and I don't know why) that LV is better quality but I have nothing to base that on. I just want to know if Gucci is really good quality. When I buy my first luxery bag I want to know I got a good one! Thanks!

I think you guys misinterpreted me. I don't like LV at all. I don't even own one. I don't even own one luxury handbag. I am very attracted to Gucci, always have been. I have it in my head (and I don't know why) that LV is better quality but I have nothing to base that on. I just want to know if Gucci is really good quality. When I buy my first luxery bag I want to know I got a good one! Thanks!

Haha...LV and Gucci are the same quality because I have both Gucci and LV bags and never had problems with any. :smile:

Well I guess it means by what think better quality is. Do you perceive quality as a hand bag that is durable or by the quality of the products that go into it.

Both brands have bags that can be made from all different types of exotic skins and leathers.

If your thinking quality as durability to be a workhorse it depends on which type of bag your picking from each of the brands. LV's monogram and damier print are made from canvas which makes them very durable. My LV's have gone through rain/snow and the canvas still looks great years later. But not all the LV fabrics are durable, the vernis (shiny patent print) is not as durable and shows wear and scratches.

I perceive my fabric gucci's as not as durable as my canvas LV but I do believe that they are BOTH high quality. I only think that because I wouldn't bring my fabric gucci's out into the rain and the snow the way i would with my LV's. I cannot speak about the guccissima leather because I dont have a piece from that line.. yet. :biggrin:

I have both Gucci and LV and I love them. I would rate them as equal. As for your statement that LV is overpriced- what are you basing that assumption on, if I may ask? Both Gucci and LV offer a wide range of styles, shapes, sizes, and prices, and there are some Gucci bags over $10, 000. The pricing is determined by materials, including trim, and how labor intensive it is to hand make them.
I would close by encouraging you to buy what you love. If, however, your only reason for not considering LV is the pricing, I would encourage you to take another look. LV has some lower-priced options that are great both in terms of style and durability. If you budget yourself and plan out your purchases carefully, you have BOTH!:flowers::happydance:

I think you should go to Gucci and check the bags out for yourself :yes:

Gucci have been making luggage and bags for over 90 years. They make so many different types and styles, from sig canvas wristlets to real gold 'plated' crocodile evening bags. I have bought bags at many different price-points and were made for different purposes, some of my bags are nearly 50 YO. Most products are guaranteed (length of time depends on the bag, ask the SA about the piece you're checking out) and IMO, have excellent after-care too. If you need a bag repaired years down the line, you just take/send it in.

I didn't/don't rate all the bags Tom Ford did from 1996-2002, his forte was most def with clothes then, but since Frida has joined (2002) the bags' quality and the infinite variety of styles (maybe too many) has meant handbag heaven. OK, now I am outing myself as a real Gucci fan :P. Trust me, I wouldn't have 'invested' quite so much of time and money in products had I not been pleased.

No problems! Yeah, I did say overplayed. It just seems like everyone has one. My son was reading somewhere that less then 1 percent of the ones you see are real!! That is crazy, but it might even be true. I was in the mall the other day and all I saw were LV's everywhere. I kept thinking about what my son said and it made me try to really inspect them lol. I probably looked like a crazy person...

I enjoy both brands. I have three LV bags and two Gucci bags. HOWEVER, that being said, LV bags are EVERYWHERE, so when purchasing mine, I went for special editions which you don't see every day. I have my Stephen Sprouse Roses Speedy (because I LOVE Disney and the roses make me think of Alice In Wonderland lol), my Watercolor Papillon (because I'm an artist and it looks like something Monet may have done), and my Mon-Monogram Speedy, unique obviously because it has my initials and I chose the colors. So as you can see, I didn't go for the every day, I wanted an iconic piece, yet something different that suit my tastes. As for my Gucci bags I just have two Sukey Bostons, one in denim and one in a burlap color. Also styles you don't see every day. One isn't better than the other (though I don't like one of the lies behind the Gucci design but that's another story). In my opinion they will probably all outlast me, the quality is there in both brands. If you have to hmm and haw too much then you probably just haven't found one that pops out at you yet. :smile:

I enjoy both brands. I have three LV bags and two Gucci bags. HOWEVER, that being said, LV bags are EVERYWHERE, so when purchasing mine, I went for special editions which you don't see every day. I have my Stephen Sprouse Roses Speedy (because I LOVE Disney and the roses make me think of Alice In Wonderland lol), my Watercolor Papillon (because I'm an artist and it looks like something Monet may have done), and my Mon-Monogram Speedy, unique obviously because it has my initials and I chose the colors. So as you can see, I didn't go for the every day, I wanted an iconic piece, yet something different that suit my tastes. As for my Gucci bags I just have two Sukey Bostons, one in denim and one in a burlap color. Also styles you don't see every day. One isn't better than the other (though I don't like one of the lies behind the Gucci design but that's another story). In my opinion they will probably all outlast me, the quality is there in both brands. If you have to hmm and haw too much then you probably just haven't found one that pops out at you yet. :smile:

Oh really? Tell me more ha ha :graucho:

No problems! Yeah, I did say overplayed. It just seems like everyone has one. My son was reading somewhere that less then 1 percent of the ones you see are real!! That is crazy, but it might even be true. I was in the mall the other day and all I saw were LV's everywhere. I kept thinking about what my son said and it made me try to really inspect them lol. I probably looked like a crazy person...

See now in my area LVs are rare. Sig. Coach is more common for those who want to carry a designer bag. If the commonality bothers you, you could choose a rarer type- something in epi or empriente leather, maybe? Both are really beautiful and a bit more understated.
I feel that way about perfume. In my area most women wear the celebrity fragrances, Burberry or Victoria's Secret. My favourite has always been Shalimar. I also wear Emeraude, which is similar to Shalimar, but lighter. I recently went shopping in Chicago and purchased Jicky. It's made by Guerlain, as is Shalimar, but is older and not well known in the USA. I love being unique. Vive la difference!:wlae::choochoo::wave:

My apologies Moose, I thought you wanted Gucci because LV was everywhere. I can't say I have experience with the coated fabric Gucci uses, but their pebbled leather is pretty durable compared to softer leathers like lambskin. They have a lot of different styles so I'd go to a Gucci boutique if you can to test them out and see for yourself.