LV in psychological terms

I'm a 2nd year psych student!! :yahoo: YAY..!!

let's see... i think my fixation with purses started when i was a child... my parents are divorced, and as the only child of too succesful working parents i was pretty much on the move a lot... like monday - wed i'll stay with grandma, thursday with aunt, friday with grand uncle.. that kind of thing. and basically anybody would pick me up from school :P so i pretty much had to be prepared for everything, and needed to have all my 'stuff' with me, hence needing a bag with me all the time, after awhile it pretty much became the most permanent thing in my life..hence the attachment! :Push:

Today, i always need my 'stuff' around me, and since i tend to get attached to my bags i want GOOD ONES, that will last a lifetime because nothing pisses me off more than still loving the bag to bits and it's literally falling to bits. the excellent quality handcraftmanship on LV gives every bag it's own personality, and the quality gives it its own lifespan...and with LV because it's such a classic, it can be a companion with me wherever i go and not be outclassed or 'not good enough'... :supacool: and like me, my bag must be of the highest quality at least to the extent that it won't keep me from showing full potential of MY qualities...! :rolleyes:

hope that made sense... heehee :sweatdrop:

I like to think about it this way....... No matter what I eat for dinner.....my handbag will always fit in the morning!!:yes:

I love this!!!! So true!!!

I think that has a lot to do with why I love bags so much. I am a big accessory girl. I always feel like I should be on What Not To Wear because I am alwasy struggling with what the best clothes are for me. I am not a big girl - but I still dont know what is most flattering. I love fashion but am somtimes clueless. When it comes to makeup, jewelry and handbags...I'm a pro!

Well, I have a degree in psychology, so I'm inclined to reason about myself.:yes:
So, I have to say, ther's something more than a simple passion behind my love for handbags.
I would like to confront with you to elaborate on it.
Bags are also for me a "refuge" an answer to a need of protection.:search:
They are my Linus' rug...:shame:
in particular I love LV denim with theyr comfortable and smooth interior... they are so soft and comfortable... What do you think? What's your experience?
:heart:Stephanie.

As a psychiatrist, I would say its Maslow's. After the basic needs are fulfilled (food, shelter etc), we are trying to attend to our aesthetic needs.

I like to think about it this way....... No matter what I eat for dinner.....my handbag will always fit in the morning!!:yes:

Amen to that!!! :roflmfao:

I guess my problem is that - as somebody mentioned - I have kind of a need to be the best in everything I do, pushing myself (and others :yes: ) to get always the best results... so is a logical consequence that, once you are able to afford a better bag, you'll go for that... why settle for 3 "cheap" ones when you can buy 1 that will last longer and has more class? (it could also be a reaction to my upbringing: middle class family, no money for "stupidly" expensive trainers or clothes, but yes to pay for university and trips that would get me somewhere... and here I am, a lawyer with an international career and leaving in Europe... I guess that would qualify as having made it :s ??).
I have the same "problem" with shoes... since a couple of years ago I realised that I want to have the best shoes because, together with the bag, would make any outfit look like a million dollars... so, now I'm in big trouble :roflmfao: because this doesn't come cheap!!!

I also think that it has something to do with being a perfectionsit (I am) Everything has to be the best including me. Perhaps it really is OCD (Obsessive compulsive Disorder) :yahoo:

Here here

My BF looks at me crosseyed (ok, not really) when I talk about watches, purses, and designer jewelry... but for me, I guess it's comes down to a statement of "arriving"?

I grew up in low-income housing and my parents (I was lucky to be in one of the few non-single parent households in the neighborhood) were always scrimping & us kids always knew it... heck, I grew up with the feeling of being "too poor" to eat out at McD's!

Anyway... I guess since I make my own money & don't yet have a family to support... it's nice to say "I want it & I can afford it." It's kinda fun to have a few luxury goods to gloat over...

I love my bags almost on a fetish level. I freaking love the zipper mechanism on an LV bag that is new, the smooth way it zips and unzips. I love clean new mono and damier canvas, the smell and the texture of it. I love the way the clean lines are on a hand sewn piece.

I also think that it has something to do with being a perfectionsit (I am) Everything has to be the best including me. Perhaps it really is OCD (Obsessive compulsive Disorder) :yahoo:

I like your quote. I understand why I am obsessed now. Because I am a perfectionist like you. So I just wanna collect and collect. Just so that i can fill up my wardrobe, all the pochettes in one shelf, all the speedys together...etc To do that I have to keep collecting to fill up the empty space in between in the shelf... OMG, its nvr gonna end, because there is always going to be new empty spaces...:shrugs:

My bags make me feel supremely confident. I guess they are my shield.
They're also a statement I'm making about myself.
I've always battled with my weight - up and down like a yoyo - but it doesn't matter what size you are to carry a great bag.
I guess subconsciously I'm saying 'I may have a big(gish) arse but I've got style and confidence.'

Absolutely true! I used to say that's why I loved shopping for shoes. It doesn't matter how much weight you've gained, all you have to look at in the mirror is your foot! Although, now I do actually look at "the whole me" when shopping for shoes. Thank Stacey and ******* for that.:rolleyes:

I just realized I answered this question on a physical level with how I love the feel(canvas), movement(zipper mech) and smell(canvas).

On a psychological level, my bag is like my attachment object, sort of like the way my boys need their action figure of the moment when they leave the house.

I just realized I answered this question on a physical level with how I love the feel(canvas), movement(zipper mech) and smell(canvas).

On a psychological level, my bag is like my attachment object, sort of like the way my boys need their action figure of the moment when they leave the house.

I totally agree with the attachment issue, speedy! Someone sent me one of those silly emails recently about when you know you've had too much to drink... the stupid things you do and say... and one of the items on the list was that you don't know where your purse is. I howled! I NEVER don't know where my purse is.

... that I never had growing up. They're also pretty perfect points of beauty in my somewhat chaotic life.

So, dependable rewards.[/quote]

Pretty perfect points of beauty...in my somewhat chaotic life...

love it....:love:

v.

For me, it's about quality. I'm not obsessed with LV or any designer brand, but I want excellent quality in most things I buy. I'm not sure why I'm this way, because I didn't grow up in a "designer label" home at all. I think it has something to do with inheriting my mom's "basic good taste" and my love for reading and travel...broadening my horizons to realize that it makes more sense to buy one item that is of the best quality, than twenty items that are just average. I'm also a bargain hunter and it gives me a thrill to know that I didn't pay full price for that luxury item! :P