LV French Company Value

Jun 18, 2008
Is there a reason why LV French Company speedy is worth less than a standard LV Speedy? Looking up on the internet, I see Regular Speedys being sold around $500-$800 where Vintage French Company Speedys are being sold between $250-$400. Are French Company Louis Vuittons on the same level as the Modern Louis Vuitton?

On the same level using what metric?

Not everyone knows what 'French Company' means, far more people know what LV means. Perception... Also the French Company products are usually older; I don't know the exact date LV ended contracting out to them.

^I think it has more to do with the condition of the French Co. bags, as many of them are quite old they aren't in the same shape as say Speedys from the 90s.
They tend to have issues with zips/cracks which aren't necessarily repairable.

Yeah, LV will no longer grant repairs on the FC items. Also, I don't like the way they didn't use vachetta, how the handles are attached, and also the strip along the bottom. It all just bothers me, but that's just my opinion.

French Company bags were before the new LV came about in the 90's.
They were made by a private company before LV took the manuf under its wing.
I have one and dig it, but they are from so long ago in the past not everyone knows about them or doesn't find them attractive I suppose. They kind of look different and the other person posting here is right, some are not in great condition (the one I bought was though!)

Reactions: DankMemesNBeans
There's no different in quality. I have FC luggage, and it's held up extremely well. So much so that I had it converted and now all of my pieces have wheels, etc. It's fabulous, and I like that it looks well traveled.

Reactions: Q Suzi
I have a mint condition FC Speedy 25 and it's absolutely TDF! Looks it's brand new, just off the shelf. It's been valued at more than the newer Speedies. I love how both sides of the bag have the LV's right side up. And the lock is really special too.
I have had other FC Speedies and have had no problem with getting them repaired at LV.

Yeah, LV will no longer grant repairs on the FC items. Also, I don't like the way they didn't use vachetta, how the handles are attached, and also the strip along the bottom. It all just bothers me, but that's just my opinion.

I just took a vintage LV carryon made by FC to Neimans to send in for repair, they told me they were still doing repairs.

I just bought a really awesome French Company Bandouliere messenger bag, and I love it! The quality is every bit as good as the internationally known Louis Vuitton Company (The FC was made through a special license issued by LV, so it is essentially the same product). The designs are slightly different because they were trying to appeal to the growing demand in the United States for Louis Vuitton in the 1970s. They were mainly sold by Saks Fifth Ave. and Neiman Marcus, and many were specifically designed to be personally monogrammed (this is why many FC bags have blank oval patches). I think the reason why many may cost less than modern LVs is due to age/condition (The FC bags were made 1970s-1990s, so many of them are not in as great of shape as modern bags), and an unfamiliarity with the product. They do not have the same datecode system that LV has used since the 1980s. Instead, they included a tyvek tag (essentially paper) that claimed that the item was made in the U.S. under special licence from Louis Vuitton. Many of these tags were ripped out or have fallen out over time. They also used slightly different hardware (best example: The FC Speedy has a completely different lock system instead of the traditional brass lock with key). Some people also do not like that the FC bags used coated leather (light brown, orange-ish brown, and a darker brown). They did this because they believed that it made the leather sturdier than untreated vachetta leather, and it automatically displayed the coveted "aged" look. I must admit, I am not a huge fan of the coated leather, but I love the high quality that all Louis Vuittons are made with, which includes the US French Company.

I personally don't like them as I don't like coated vachetta - and I honestly don't love the styling differences. I think a lot of people don't love them, which is why there is not as much demand, hence the lower prices.

I personally don't like them as I don't like coated vachetta - and I honestly don't love the styling differences. I think a lot of people don't love them, which is why there is not as much demand, hence the lower prices.
Interesting you say this because I've read much the opposite.....that because there weren't as many FC pieces made that to find one (especially one in good condition) makes them that much more valuable. I find them beautiful but as most things it all boils down to ones personal taste.

A little clarity on repairs to FC LV. As I understand it, from very recent experience with repairs to several LV FC bags, LV does not repair anything that they can not secure or have the original replacement part. So since FC LV's are very dated most parts are scarce. The luggage bags I've had reparied still had the NM metal tag so this is where I took them. You wait about a month and then you'll get notified that LV no longer repairs....BUT NM then can send it to (assume, as don't really know who is repairiing) their repair department who does match or re-create the original part. Mine have all been expertly repaired and completely match what it looked like originally. Most recently late 2013.

A little more info that I've learned about FC LV's. They are called domestic made LV's because they were made for the domestic (US) market and made to be a little more affordable. You will notice that all original LV's are mostly made from one piece of material, ie a speedy where the LV design is in opposite directions on one side. But the domestic made, has a leather piece across the bottom because it was not made from one piece, just a suttle difference. Also not all hardware is embellished and different closurers were used, also suttle difference. I prefer the FC made LV's as I find them more durable.

Just another update. I currently have both the French-made Speedy and the French company USA made speedy. Honestly? They're both awesome. I actually like my french company vintage item even more. The leather is very sturdy and because it is treated, I can rest easy if it starts to rain. The canvas is nice and thick (much thicker than many of the newer LVs), so it holds its shape beautifully! I will have this purse for SO many years. This and my other french company piece (messenger bag) are two of my absolute favorite LVs.