LOVE Valentino, but need to stop spending money for awhile?

LabelLover81

Peace Love & Purses
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
So I have bought ALOT of stuff the last few weeks, and I REALLY need to go on a mini-ban. I've heard that once you get past the first week, it's not so bad. So I'm hoping I can have a miniature support group here.
I need encouragement to stop spending, not enabling to spend anyway :P I need a ban that will last at least three weeks.
Anyone else in the same boat?

You've been a very, very bad lady LL! Hehehe :P
Think about the pros and the cons of excessive buying. Maybe the biggest pro is that you get some sort of instant gratification, but it doesn't last long and you'll end up buying more things.
For the cons, there are many and very obvious. One would be that you'll spend more money than you should, the second would be that you'll end up selling many of the thing you bought because you discovered you didn't need/like them or were not for you anyway.

Best you can do is plan your bag/fashion spendings and stick to the plan!

LL, I'm also on a shopping ban right now. My ban is at least for the next 1 - 2 months and I don't know what to do about the upcoming Saks F&F event in April as I've got 2 - 3 Valentino items on my Wish List thus far. Plus, there's also the mono LV peep toe pumps that I've been wanting for the past 4 months now.

Perhaps you can take a look at all of the items in your current collection to see if there are any that you'd be willing to let go in order to justify the purchase of the newer items? When taking stock of my hand bag collection, I found that I've actually got more hand-carry items versus true shoulder bags, which is the opposite of what I really need. However, I currently have two hand-carry bags on my Valentino wish list :Push:

Thank you MGA and Expy!
I have good news! The offers I submitted on eBay were declined and counter-offered, so that's the perfect opportunity for me to NOT purchase!
In addition, today I went to the mall and returned a $200 sweater that I bought on Friday. I feel good about it. PLUS I carried my Alice Glam satchel and got SO many compliments! WAY more compliments than if I had carried some lame bag I bought just to satisfy my instant gratification :biggrin:

That's great news indeed, LL, regarding the declined eBay offers! It's so hard to not get caught up in the moment when we want a particular item or see something at a really great price. I'm literally running out of storage room for shoes and hand bags so going forward, I have to really think about any future purchases.

Ashley....I am supposed to be on a ban....but still managed to acquire my LV Mahina XL, Tiffany Manhattan Satchel, several silver Tiffany pieces, my LV nice case and a ton of beauty products, not to mention little things at mall etc....

I just got my nice case yesterday and now what a few small cases to put in my big case to help organize...I am thinking prada, lv, chanel:nogood::nogood::nogood:

oh..... then you had to post that gorgeous David yurman bracelet so now I want one too....

LL, we can do it, as long as we remain focused and strong!! :tup: :angel:

Tanya, you got some wonderful goodies during your ban...hehehe. LL and I will be there for you if you think that you need some encouragement and support with regards to sticking to your new shopping ban :yes:

I will join you!!!! I told myself I was on a ban about 2-3 weeks ago from buying a bag & that I needed to stay on it until May or June. Well, I suck!! I bought the most GORGEOUS leather Burberry bag (not the signature plaid) 2 days ago. I am super picky about other designers except MJ or Valentino, & I have always wanted a Burberry bag---so I have bought a few Burberry bags in the past only to return them because 1.) I never did use it & 2.) It wasn't what I really wanted after thinking about it. Or I see a MJ bag that I would rather have. Well, not this time! I am keeping this one----this IS THE Burberry bag. The one. And now I have to stop for awhile.

One thing that I started doing is every time I buy something (even if it doesn't cost much, like something at Target), I write it down. I can't believe how fast things add up. It helps me because I forget sometimes that I had bought something just the other day or a few weeks ago, so I don't think about the current purchase I am about to make.

Another thing that helps me is that I have to LOVE it to buy it. Even if it's a good deal. If I just like it and I don't get excited about it----it's not worth it because I will end up returning it. That has helped me alot the past few months and kept me from purchasing things on a whim.

Those are my tips and they work for me. (most of the time :P )

If you havn't done this already---start going through your stuff and decide what you havn't worn and return it. If you are having a hard time deciding if you want to keep it-----then even more so you should return it! If you have to question it, then it needs to be done. You will be shocked at how much you end up returning!

Alright, well these are all AWESOME suggestions. I think to keep myself accountable, I'm going to take dbeth's suggestion. Not only am I going to write down what I buy, but I'm going to post it here! How's that?! Here's today purchases:

Gas - $50.66

That's a good idea LL and dbeth!

Once you see on paper what are you spending your money on it will be easier to stay on track.
Another good idea would be to write down any savings, like, how much you thought you'd spend vs. how much you really spent, that way you'll see how much you saved, maybe that will inspire you to save more :smile:

Maybe you can also limit your bag purchases to one or two per season, just buy what you really, really want. Buy things that you are sure you won't end up selling because you don't use them or because you don't feel like they were for you, things you really feel like should be part of your collection.

That's a good idea LL and dbeth!

Once you see on paper what are you spending your money on it will be easier to stay on track.
Another good idea would be to write down any savings, like, how much you thought you'd spend vs. how much you really spent, that way you'll see how much you saved, maybe that will inspire you to save more :smile:

Maybe you can also limit your bag purchases to one or two per season, just buy what you really, really want. Buy things that you are sure you won't end up selling because you don't use them or because you don't feel like they were for you, things you really feel like should be part of your collection.

LOL---when I first read this, I thought you meant 1-2 bags per year and I about died! :lol:

Alright, well these are all AWESOME suggestions. I think to keep myself accountable, I'm going to take dbeth's suggestion. Not only am I going to write down what I buy, but I'm going to post it here! How's that?! Here's today purchases:

Gas - $50.66

Not a bad idea...........maybe someone will jump in and give their opinion on something you don't really need and that might help you in some way.

Speaking of gas----CRAZY prices. :mad: $60 for me yesterday. My neighbor spent $90 for her SUV.