Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Dear star, our likes and dislikes are very individual, so please keep that in mind when soliciting opinions:smile: IMO, you should save your money and take a pass on it (all other owners of this scarf - please forgive me). If you are really "itching" to spend money (sometimes we just want to buy something - I know!), get yourself another Samourai on a second hand market (provided you already have one or two) - you won't regret it. And if you will, you would be able re-home it at no loss to you. Best of luck on your decision.
Thank you! I would love Samourai and I do not have any, the prices however are astronomical!

Reactions: Lellabelle
Dear Scarifies, I need your help making a decision. I tried this Le Cavalier a la Trompette scarf in a boutique. I feel I have a gap in my collection for a corral/peachy scarf. I feel this design is very abstract and unusual for Hermes. Is it a good thing or bad thing? P.S. 90 silks became soooo expensive that I am now really thinking over all my purchases.
This is just my experience, but every scarf I’ve ever purchased with the idea of ‘gap filling’ has been sent along to another happy home. I think it’s because the premise forces the issue and the result is just ‘meh’. Especially at these prices, if I don’t feel absolutely thrilled, it’s not leaving the boutique with me. ‘Oh gee, I could use an X color scarf’ isn’t good enough, it really has to ring the bell. And while the bell is ringing I need to be convinced it will play well with other elements of my wardrobe. Just because it’s beautiful doesn’t mean it has to come home with me. The long game is important here, there will always be a new season.

As to Trompette there are no good or bad things. This sort of painterly, brush stoke style has been done before (Rives sur Leman, I think a Dumas design, and maybe the Aboriginal design Gloria is a bit in this category). You are paying for it and wearing it so you need to love it.

Thank you! I would love Samourai and I do not have any, the prices however are astronomical!

Whatever the amount you would spent for Trompette plus Pampa would cover Samourai on the second hand market:smile: and you would acquire a true masterpiece:smile:
I’d also add that grail chasing can be a very expensive activity. Sometimes it’s possible to get swept up in a FOMO experience and find the design/cw just doesn’t sing on you. JMO.
:flowers:

I’d also add that grail chasing can be a very expensive activity. Sometimes it’s possible to get swept up in a FOMO experience and find the design/cw just doesn’t sing on you. JMO.
:flowers:
GRAILS have a lot more FOMO than FILL IN THE GAP scarves. GRAILS are like crack in terms of addictions. FILL IN THE GAPS are like legalized marijuana.

My FOMO mistake was Valle de Cristal. I appreciate the artistry and the H colourists outdid themselves, but I’m not a unicorn/crystal universe/cartoony design person. At all. Maybe I’ll come around to it…..
I've seen quite a few of them for sale on ebay including the much desired green one. They've all been priced above retail but not hugely so which is amazing given the amount of FOMO on that one.

I was never able to get my hands on the green one and also don't want to pay over retail on it so I just keep my eyes open and hope. I wouldn't say it's in a grail category for me. There are definitely scarves in my collection I would very happily trade for it though!

I’m finding my collection falls into 3 categories:
1) grrrrrr (why did I buy this? Why can’t I knot this well? Needs rehoming but taking a loss is painful)

2) oh but… (I don’t wear it often, oh but I can’t rehome it because of <fill in the blank>)

3) cold dead hands (never to be rehomed!)

Alas I think I have more Oh Buts than anything

1) grrrrrr (why did I buy this? Why can’t I knot this well? Needs rehoming but taking a loss is painful)

2) oh but… (I don’t wear it often, oh but I can’t rehome it because of <fill in the blank>)

On item 1, knotting. A recent thought of mine might help.
Motifs on scarves can be tiny - Henry designs for ex. Or medium - recent Jamin designs with tresses. Or Humongous - the peonies in PIVOINES.
I like the medium sized designs - the Goldilocks scarf criterion - not too big or too small. But I always use a simple bias fold.
Anyway, figure out your fav motif size. Recent designs - Batjtlik, Gattoni have a lot of tiny stuff. And that tends to work better with origami knots that highlight a 1 in tall horse or whatever. Tiny motifs work well, if you like necklace-style knots - coiled around neck.
So, figuring out my fav motif size has been a great help to me.

I feel I have waaaaaaay too many in category 3:lol:

On item 1, knotting. A recent thought of mine might help.
Motifs on scarves can be tiny - Henry designs for ex. Or medium - recent Jamin designs with tresses. Or Humongous - the peonies in PIVOINES.
I like the medium sized designs - the Goldilocks scarf criterion - not too big or too small. But I always use a simple bias fold.
Anyway, figure out your fav motif size. Recent designs - Batjtlik, Gattoni have a lot of tiny stuff. And that tends to work better with origami knots that highlight a 1 in tall horse or whatever. Tiny motifs work well, if you like necklace-style knots - coiled around neck.
So, figuring out my fav motif size has been a great help to me.
I can related to this - absolutely. As much as I love Henry's designs, I can't wear them in a 90 format - as I feel like the small details just get lost on me and disagree with my proportions (=re-home pile:smile:) However, I love to wear her designs in 140 cashmere as I mainly wear the shawls with minimum knotting (either loose cowboy knot or as traditional shawl over my shoulders).

Also - and perhaps it will be an unpopular opinion - there is an age-appropriate factor to every design (again, I know I will get a few rotten eggs thrown my way). Of course, anyone can wear anything as a premise, but I do think a girl in her 20s will look more harmonious wearing something like Hermes on the Beach, than let's say La Presentation de Chevaux, and so forth. Some designs and colorways do have an "aging" effect - perhaps we subconciously avoid them for that reasons?

Last edited:
I can related to this - absolutely. As much as I love Henry's designs, I can't wear them in a 90 format - as I feel like the small details just get lost on me and disagree with my proportions (=re-home pile:smile:) However, I love to wear her designs in 140 cashmere as I mainly wear the shawls with minimum knotting (either loose cowboy knot or as traditional shawl over my shoulders).

Also - and perhaps it will be an unpopular opinion - there is an age-appropriate factor to every design (again, I know I will get a few rotten eggs thrown my way). Of course, anyone can wear anything as a premise, but I do think a girl in her 20s will look more harmonious wearing something like Hermes on the Beach, than let's say La Presentation de Chevaux, and so forth. Some designs and colorways do have an "aging" effect - perhaps we subconciously avoid them for that reasons?
Gonna go the other way on this, especially because I'm generally opposed to artificial boundaries on principle. It's funny that you picked Hermes on the Beach because that's the exact scarf that turned my head around on the newer scarf designs. (I have to add Exposition Universal to that epiphany). The newer, busier style of designs don't often call me but I feel that when the combination of design and cw are right they are spectacular. These I will wear with abandon because it's the spectacular that brings joy to my day and I'll take it in whatever form I can get it.

ETA: I think it also matters how one feels in a particular scarf. If Presentation de Chevaux is in your comfort zone, for whatever reason, that will feel different from sporting something like Animopolis, if that design doesn't resonate. I'm just not convinced that the number on a birth certificate is dispositive; it's more about personal style and aesthetic.

Last edited:
Gonna go the other way on this, especially because I'm generally opposed to artificial boundaries on principle. It's funny that you picked Hermes on the Beach because that's the exact scarf that turned my head around on the newer scarf designs. (I have to add Exposition Universal to that epiphany). The newer, busier style of designs don't often call me but I feel that when the combination of design and cw are right they are spectacular. These I will wear with abandon because it's the spectacular that brings joy to my day and I'll take it in whatever form I can get it.

ETA: I think it also matters how one feels in a particular scarf. If Presentation de Chevaux is in your comfort zone, for whatever reason, that will feel different from sporting something like Animopolis, if that design doesn't resonate. I'm just not convinced that the number on a birth certificate is dispositive; it's more about personal style and aesthetic.
Interesting thoughts all around on themes and proportions. Generally speaking I avoid ‘the classics’ not because they’re dowdy or aging but because classics don’t appeal to me (not limited to scarves - I also avoid classic literature, opera, classic movies, etc). :shrugs:

I have noted that I lean toward busier designs in most formats but less so in 140s.

My ‘Oh But…’ scarves trap me with design details (oh but it has dogs, oh but it has bears, oh but the horsecycle is so cool, oh but it’s so weird, oh but it has metallic ink).