Louis Vuitton & Hong Kong

Clake76

Young Broke and Fab
Dec 10, 2006
I am visiting Hong Kong in March 07 --- I have always been told that I should wait until I go to Asia to buy LV since it is cheaper and I can get my VAT refunded. I wanted to see if this was true since I have been drooling over the Keepall 50 and the Sac Plat (both in monogrammed canvas).

Any feedback would be appreciated......

There's no Tax when you buy things in HK, so there will be no VAT returns :shrugs:

I found that the prices are about the same, so basically you just save the tax. However, you have to worry about smuggling everything past customs on your way back :s

I figure ever since smuggling in enough liquor into the US to supply a small bar in college in nothing but a duffle bag, I can smuggling in some Louis Vuitton. I figure the easiest thing to do is actually use it on the trip back -- additionally, my bf is coming with me and can "use" something else. All the pieces could pass for either sex.....

Thank you for the explaination on the VAT -- appreciate it!

Yeah.. no tax so no VAT and in my prior experience.. it depends on the item because I found that LV was the only store where the price in HK with no tax was more than prices in Canada including tax which says a lot since the tax in Canada was 15% at the time I was comparing. But I only checked a few items and this was almost 2 years ago though. Maybe things are different now.

but if without tax like let's say in elux, its cheaper in US right?

My cousin goes to HK often and we've compared prices before, it's about the same. Depending on which specific itemm you buy, there's like.....max 20$ difference of the ones we looked at... so ya.... 20$ aint' much imo.....

However, I'm from Canada (6%GST and 7.5%PST), so for me, HK is always a lil cheaper

You have to really check your prices, sometime they are higher. Last year, even with no tax the pieces I was interested in were 5-6% high than the prices here is CA with 8 % tax

As far as I know, the places you could get the cheapest LV from are Paris and Dubai and prices in the US are always cheaper (from a whole lot to a little bit) than in Asia. I could be wrong though!

I think we should do a price check for each of the countries since the ladies here come from all over the globe, like say, the speedy 25 in US is $595, in France 400 euro, and so on :yes:

italy its 465 euro for the speedy 30, US its $620, in hk i think around $660? not sure though... philippines its around $702, i know singapore is cheaper than US. not sure about thailand.