Louis too much for a five year old?

5 years old is too young for luxury stuff like LV. I agree with other TPFs, you might want to ask the parents for their opinion. When my daughter was 5, all she wants was toys toys toys.

I am in agreement with the other posters. My daughter is 12 and I am still undecided as to whether or not to get her a small pochette or not. I definitely think 5 is too young.

I would worry that her safety would be compromised with a luxe item such as a pochette...someone might just snatch it from her....my daughter is 10 and I would love for her to sport LV but I am more afraid that her carrying one would put her in the wrong kind of situation...mainly someone stealing it and putting her in jeopardy that way....scarey thought....

I think 5 is too young! I'm not opposed to buying nice things for kids. My dd has nice clothes like Juicy that I know she's going to grow out of. But I don't see myself buying her LV until she's older. Besides at 5, kids want toys!

Welcome to tpf!

I think kids should be kids for as long as possible. It is a nice gesture because you're coming from the right place but with due respect, five years old, IMO, is far too young an age to give a child a Louis Vuitton bag. And I would most definitely say that if you genuinely feel it's appropriate, you must check with your neice's parents first. I can think of a few parents I know that would not appreciate that sort of a gift for their children at all.

giving her an LV at 5, what will she wants at 16? 21?
i gave my younger sister her first designer bag was my used balenciaga. she saw how i appreciated my bags and she talked to me about how she wants one and promise (it's been 2 years) to keep and value the bag as much as she can. and i dont regret giving it to her. but she was 17 at that time.
anyways, giving ur niece an LV when she was young, not only will/might spoil her, but also letting her into danger (thief....). jeolousy from friends....
IMO

Omg thanks so much for all the replies( and all the honesty)!I know this is a little outlandish buti totally thought everyone was going to say"No, go right ahead she'll never grow out of it"! I talked to her parents about it they honestly don't care about anything I buy for her.My sis said " I don't care just no more toys" ( She has a room full of them along with clothes and shoes) I asked my niece what did she want and she said a tea set, which my sister is already getting her, its the theme of her b-day party. - guess my whole point was what can I give her that's better than what I've already given her. I guess that's not the way I should be thinking about it.

NO way, I have a 5 year old and I don't even like her touching my LV's, ha!

My daughter loves to carry a little purse I am sure if you went to a cute childrens store they would have some cute bags more age appropriate but still trendy.

IMHO... 5 years old...is much too young for Tiffany and co., coach or LV etc...when I was 5 I had no idea what a handbag or purse was...

Get her something she will use now, toys, games, books...

Currently only a lowly 20 yrs old...but i don't think I'm gonna start my kids on brands till they're at least 13-16 years old...OR maybe after they get their first work experience...when they can appreciate the value...

As far as theft goes, I'd think most people would think its fake. Does anyone agree?

Know that I think about it, before I moved away I gave her a small coach bag I had from high school. She carried it to the sitters house where apparently some kid "accedentally" broke the handle off of.

Also IMO I think a laptop is wayyyy more risky than a $400 bag. If she spills on it-dead. If she drops it-dead. If she rips the screen it will cost an arm and a leg to repair. Plus its $200 more than the bag.

ya i kinda agree with everyone else. the problem with buying all these expensive things is that she will not appreciate it when she gets older. or will come to expect the finer things in life. and, what happens when she doesn't get them when she is older. my sister is very wealthy and buys her kids high end items. like oakley sun glasses at age 8. now that they are older thats all they want. I always say my nieces better marry rich. if your set on buying something expensive . get her a dooney & bourke wristlet . there colorful and fun. Does she collect AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS. you could start that and it would be something special from just you.