Louis too much for a five year old?

So cute, Posh! I might just have to do this for DD's first birthday present! More as a memento of the bond of "my little shopping buddy." I really didn't care whether or not I had a boy or girls but knew that I would not be complete until I had a little girl- I want to have the same relationship that I have with my mom and fun future "girly" days. I was initially against any high end luxury items but may end up doing this!

ITA! Cant wait for her to grow up...paint her nails, do her hair, buy her accessories.. ask her to decide clothes I should wear. And shoes. SHe love shoes and she picks her own shoes when we are shopping! Yes! At 6 months old!

Hello,

You are a very good and sweet auntie to be thinking of your niece so much that you would spend so much on her. But, in my opinion, she might be a bit too young to FULLY understand the significance of her 1st LV. Reserve that for her for when she is much older and you can take her for her 1st LV, you will leave with the knowlodge that she FULLY appreciates it.

At the moment, she is at a time in her life whre TOYS are her life. lol

good luck w/your decision though! - Mjlover

I have a 4 year old who loves bags, but she wouldn't know a name brand at all. She prefers the cute cake, heart, animal shaped bags from Gymboree.

But, I would totally buy her a LV just because it would look so cute, just so I could look at her and think how cute! I personally don't have money to buy her a LV as a gift, but I think if you can afford it, it would be cute.

i think she's too young.

Put that money in an intrest bearing account for a college fund! If she graduates college get her the LV for graduation that will fit her life. My daughter is 20, junior at Baylor Univ. And the head coach of crew(rowing team) and maintains at least a 3.6. She showed an intrest in my Stephen sprouse monogram 45. We looked and there were only 2 left in the nation so of course we hot it for before graduation, we took in to consideration that she is the youngest appointed captain or head coach and only the second girl to ever hold the position. All this to say that she has worked very and always goes above the call of duty. When we gave it to her she cried because she was so grateful and knew what she had and it was a big deal! We will start her LV luggage when she graduates, gets her masters& finally her doctorate. Then in about 10 years a lv diaper bag!

I agree with many pointsalready raised, I have 4 daugters and got one of them LV at the age of 13, it turned out to be too young and she did not appreciate its place.

There are many yearsahead for a girl to develop a taste in LV, no rush to have designer bags and no rush to grow up which I am afraid to say ( I am qualified in child development) happens when little girls are given adult things. Although a lovey thought and you are certainly a loely generous aunty, little girls should remain what they are for as long as possible, little innocent girls who play with toys and develop naturally.

Hope your neice loves whatever you decide to buy her, xx

Aww ladies, thanks so much for replying to my first little post! I'm still just a little on the fence because I want her to have it for sentimental reasons. When I see pics of her at various events over the years(church socials, banquets,school events) I want to see her carrying a "piece of me" at each outing. Yes it's selfish but its the truth.

In my world (very middle class - Chicago suburbs), an LV anything for a 5 year old would be seen as over the top in a really bad way.

I have no clue, though, about the world that your niece lives in. I suspect that it might be seen as terribly nouveau riche.

In any case, bless you! You are a very kind, and generous aunt, and your niece is lucky to have you in her life.

Last edited:
Aww ladies, thanks so much for replying to my first little post! I'm still just a little on the fence because I want her to have it for sentimental reasons. When I see pics of her at various events over the years(church socials, banquets,school events) I want to see her carrying a "piece of me" at each outing. Yes it's selfish but its the truth.

If you feel that strongly about it go for it! Buy her a cute one and let her bring it out for special occasions. Maybe go for something from a "cute" line, with the panda or something.

I would go ahead and get her a toy too. ;)

Okay, so I am apparently in the minority but it's not the first time! ;)

IMHO, it really depends on the child. I personally gave my young granddaughter a little fuchsia Lexington LV purse which was her mother's first LV that I saved. My GD is not quite 2 y/o and loves a purse of any kind. We don't consider it another toy or just let it be available for playing with at any time. We allow her to use the LV when she is dressed up for special occasions and she really enjoys being like the ladies when she does. (Pics in the latter pages of my collection thread).

I say that only you can truly know if it is right for your niece. There is no one right way to handle every situation. Good luck with your decision.

maybe 5 is a bit too young =) just for the reasons the other tpfers have stated...she will not understand the value

although that is such a sweet gift from an auntie to her niece! I bought my sister a pochette when she turned 15 and she has really appreciate it more at her age, understanding the value of LV