Losing $2300 on a bag

I do not understand what you did OP !

you were let your $2300 goes that easy? merely sent the bag back without concern?

I do not hear the whole story here !

I agree...this is very odd. It didn't sound like she won the case and paypal told her to send the bag back. It looks like the case was still undecided and she decided to send the bag back. I don't know why paypal would tell someone to do this in the middle of a claim being filed. That is just a horrible tactic to force a refund that we've seen used repeatedly on this forum. I have never seen paypal actually advise this in the middle of a claim.

If the buyer said they would consider a partial refund and keep the bag, wouldn't that only be something the seller could approve? Can't paypal only decide if they lose the claim and have to keep the item or win the claim and have to send the item back? They can't just take "x" amount of money from the seller and let the buyer keep the item unless the seller has already agreed to the partial refund amount. If the seller agreed to it, why would the OP be sending the bag back??? I am very confused and the logic in this thread makes no sense. It sounds like some sort of miscommunication between the OP and Paypal to me. Hopefully OP can clarify exactly what happened.

I guess there should be more information to be filled in the gap. I'd like to know the reason why PayPal did ask OP to send the bag back to the seller. And what did exactly the last letter from PayPal says.
Anyway, hope this is just a simple misunderstanding and OP gets a full refund in the end.

Is it possible that PP is withholding the rest of the funds until seller has received the bag? I know that has happened to me once.

nope, they don't do that. They will hold the funds but won't release it to the buyer until they get the delivery confirmation. Once it is delievered back to the seller, the buyer will get the entire amount, not partial.

I'm extremely confused. Just woke up and am about to call PP and came across three emails, 15 minutes within each other.

First email
Thank you for your cooperation with this case. We've decided in your favour
and you'll receive a $2,791.50 USD refund.

Second email
We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favour.

You have indicated that a partial refund of $450.00 USD would be
satisfactory.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

Third email
You need to return the item as soon as possible and provide tracking.
PayPal reserves the right to reverse any and all refunds if this isn't done.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

I am confused.

What exactly was your case against the seller? Was it for a FULL refund? Or an SNAD with a PARTIAL refund?

I think you should call PP and speak to someone ASAP if you returned the bag and only received $450.

Update

I just got off the phone with PP and even the representative was confused. He said to ignore the emails stating I'd receive a partial refund and that I need to send the bag back.

He confirmed I'd receive a full refund. I'll wait a couple days for it to appear back in my account.