Looking for Man's best friend... help me!!

I 2nd the idea of adopting a shelter or rescue dog. Our two are rescues, and they are the sweetest, most grateful dogs...
If you are anxious about shelters being focused on quickly placing a dog over considering your needs, perhaps try a rescue group instead? There are many, many rescue groups that list dogs on Petfinder.com that do careful matching of dogs with families. They are very committed to finding a "forever" home for their dogs, and as a result are quite good at matching dog personalities and tendencies with families and their needs. Also, because they are generally fostered for a bit, you will be able to get a good idea of temperment and habits from the rescue organization before you adopt.
Good luck and let us know how everything goes!

^^^VERY well said!!! We have fostered dogs, and the adopting families really loved being able to see the dog(s) in a setting where they are able to "be themselves," and we were able to share a lot of information with them.

We have several rescue dogs of our own, and they all have wonderful temperaments--we :heart: them!

I forgot to mention that the pup in my avatar (Husky/Rottweiller cross) is one of my running partners--she is a wonderful companion for all kinds of activities! Our Belgian Shepherd/Collie cross also loves to run, as does our Lab/Border Collie/who-knows-what-else mix. Many breeds absolutely LOVE to run and do adventurous things with their humans!

I've been running with my dogs for years--let me know if you want any information, and I'll do my best to help!

gymangel, thank you so much for the advice! It's one thing to read about a breed, but so much better to hear first hand experience!! Is that an Australian shepard in your avatar?? So complete adorable!! I will be checking out the other breeds too. It's nice to know there are lots of high energy dogs that are still somewhat independent.

snowwhite, your dogs sound really incredible!! I would be so lucky to find a dog like that. And good news, BF and I have officially decided we are definelty going to doggy adopt!!

Actually you may be able to help. We found a dog on petfinder that is cute, a bit older, house broken, and sounds really amazing. I called the rescue center (phone number from petfinder), and the guy said his place isn't handling the placement of the dog because the dog is in foster care. How does placement from foster care normally work? I gave them my contact information and he said he would pass it on to the foster mommy... but it seemed weird that I now I have to wait to see if she contacts me. Any advice or knowledge you can share about a dog placed in a foster home? Thank you!!

^^^ Most fostering organizations work that way--the ones we're involved with do too.

When we have foster dogs, the rescue organization contacts us if there is a potential adopter interested. The rescue org. usually screens the people who are interested, and passes on the contact info to the foster parents. The foster parents then contact the potential interested people, ask questions--such as why they want a dog, how much time they have to devote to the dog, etc. They will then arrange a meeting. You would meet with the foster parents, and the dog, and be able to interact, as well as ask questions. If you are still interested, you can usually arrange for a play date of some kind--at your home, or a park, or whatever the foster parents are willing to do. If the foster parents think it's a good match, and you want to adopt, the adoption proceeds. Of course, all rescue organizations have their own policies. We always go to the protential home and ensure there is a fenced yard--our rescue org. requires this.

The foster mom will contact you! I'm excited for you! :yahoo: What kind of dog is it--any idea of the breed(s)?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

no it's a whippet in my avatar, she's really lazy, would not make a good running partner!:P here's a pic of an australian shepherd (color: red merle):

and here's a puppy for added cuteness! (color: blue merle with tan points):

keep in mind they come in many different colors besides these
gymangel, thank you so much for the advice! It's one thing to read about a breed, but so much better to hear first hand experience!! Is that an Australian shepard in your avatar?? So complete adorable!! I will be checking out the other breeds too. It's nice to know there are lots of high energy dogs that are still somewhat independent.

Whoohooo! Kittybag that's so exciting about finding a potential baby! My boys were also in foster homes before they came to us and it's really such a neat system. The foster "mom" helped train them and get them ready for a "forever home," while giving them a wonderful life while they waited. She was also key in placement for them, because she knew their personalities, and could say whether or not she thought a potential home was a good "fit." It's truly a great way to find a dog, because you know they've been very taken care of while they waited for you :tender:

Keep us posted!

ETA: Gymangel, both my dogs are blue merle shelties... very similar to that cute Aussie pup!

I always thought Bernese Mountain Dog was a gorgeous dog.

250px-Berne%C5%84ski_pies_pasterski.jpg

The Bernese Mountain Dog is sweet, gentle and family-oriented. It does well in obedience training. It is friendly to people it knows - including children - and other animals, but may be aloof with strangers. The Bernese is a good watchdog.

Berners are outdoor dogs at heart, though well-behaved in the house; they need activity and exercise, but do not have a great deal of endurance. They can move with amazing bursts of speed for their size when motivated. If they are sound (no problems with their hips, elbows, or other joints) they enjoy hiking and generally stick close to their people.

(full wikipedia article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernese_Mountain_Dog)

I always thought Bernese Mountain Dog was a gorgeous dog.

250px-Berne%C5%84ski_pies_pasterski.jpg

The Bernese Mountain Dog is sweet, gentle and family-oriented. It does well in obedience training. It is friendly to people it knows - including children - and other animals, but may be aloof with strangers. The Bernese is a good watchdog.

Berners are outdoor dogs at heart, though well-behaved in the house; they need activity and exercise, but do not have a great deal of endurance. They can move with amazing bursts of speed for their size when motivated. If they are sound (no problems with their hips, elbows, or other joints) they enjoy hiking and generally stick close to their people.

(full wikipedia article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernese_Mountain_Dog)
BMD's get much larger than 60lbs.

TTucker: shelties are so cute! i contemplated getting one before i got my whippet, i wish i would have.

Ok, here is an update good and bad news. Good news is that I got a hold of the doggies foster mom! She seems so incredible and very dedicated to her foster dogs. That really touched me! Bad news, the shephard mix that I feel in love with has been adopted. Well, good news for the dog, but for me... it means I keep looking.

The great part is that the foster mom knows of lots of other dogs that need a loving home, so I'm looking into a Vizsula, german shephard rescue that is local here, and she is going to keep me in mind as more dogs come in. I think it is really great the way that she really know's the dogs and I feel more comfortable that a good match will be made!!

I am going to visit a few other shelters this weekend too! I know the right dog for me is out there... we just haven't been formally introduced yet!

Thanks for the austrailian shepard pix!! adorable!!

I read a quick blurb on whippets, they sounds hilarous and smart!!

I agree that a bernese mt dog may be a bit big (ha! if I can talk the BF into the bernese, then I would rather get a st. bernard <-- that was my childhood dog!) But, I think we are trying to stay a with a bit smaller breed.

snowwhite said:
What kind of dog is it--any idea of the breed(s)?

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Snow! I think we are looking at shepard mix's, german pinchers (breed is a bit rare to find), weimariners (a bit big, but so smart)... and of course we are open to meeting most breeds/dogs. I am still a bit reserved to look at rotties and "scarey" looking dogs. I would also love for my pooch to come volunteer with me at the elderly home. I have weekly visits where I read a novel to them, and the staff has already said that a well behavied dog would be welcome. Especially since so much happiness comes from merely petting a dog! I know it will work out... it always does! ;)

holy moly... the australian shep sounds like a really cool breed

"Temperament: Australian Shepherds are intelligent, delightful, and loyal. They are highly energetic and thrive on being given something to do. The Aussie has a high degree of intensity and a "no-quit" attitude. Their herding instinct may be problematic or annoying to their family, as this breed will often attempt to perform this task on everyone or anything that moves. They are reserved and cautious with strangers until the Aussie decides about them. They are confident and protective. Human companionship is crucial to this breed. They get along well with active, considerate older children. The Aussie is not typically aggressive to other dogs." [from nextdaypets.com]

^^Yep, they are really awesome. I love all those "types" of breeds: Aussies, border collies, Shetland Sheepdogs (:love:). They are all extremely smart, obedient, and fun-loving... they only drawback is they shed. But hey, it makes me vaccum the house a lot! :yes:

they are a very cool breed! here's the national aussie rescue: http://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/
they do make good therapy dogs (since you said you would like to take the dog to a home for the elderly).

weimeraners are also good dogs, pretty high energy too. i've seen lots of people jogging with that breed.
holy moly... the australian shep sounds like a really cool breed

"Temperament: Australian Shepherds are intelligent, delightful, and loyal. They are highly energetic and thrive on being given something to do. The Aussie has a high degree of intensity and a "no-quit" attitude. Their herding instinct may be problematic or annoying to their family, as this breed will often attempt to perform this task on everyone or anything that moves. They are reserved and cautious with strangers until the Aussie decides about them. They are confident and protective. Human companionship is crucial to this breed. They get along well with active, considerate older children. The Aussie is not typically aggressive to other dogs." [from nextdaypets.com]