Looking for Man's best friend... help me!!

I got both of my dogs through petfinder, both are rescues. I agree with everybody who says to avoid breeders and pet shops, there are so many sweet dogs searching for a home. Our dogs are about a year old, and they are both mutts.

My trainer says that Golden Retrievers are one of the easiest breeds to train. My basset/beagle mutt is a stubborn little beast (but soooo cute).

Hi Snow! I think we are looking at shepard mix's, german pinchers (breed is a bit rare to find), weimariners (a bit big, but so smart)... and of course we are open to meeting most breeds/dogs. I am still a bit reserved to look at rotties and "scarey" looking dogs. I would also love for my pooch to come volunteer with me at the elderly home. I have weekly visits where I read a novel to them, and the staff has already said that a well behavied dog would be welcome. Especially since so much happiness comes from merely petting a dog! I know it will work out... it always does! ;)

I think it's great that you want to take your dog to visit elderly people!!! The dog will love it too!

My little girl (well, not so little) in my avatar is half Rottie--and she is a snuggler, not a fighter! I really believe that Rottweillers are not born mean. I do understand your concern about bringing a dog that might be perceived as scary to an elderly care facility though. You will know when you find the right dog for you!

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with the first dog you were interested in. There will be another who is perfect for you. I've met SO many dogs who would absolutely LOVE to be adopted by someone who will run and hike with them!!! You'll be an amazing parent!

it's great to hear about your success with petfinder!

snow- thanks for the encouragement!! I think finding a dog will be like falling in love. You don't know when it's coming for you, but when it does you are head over heels and acting like a giddy little kid!

Hi KittyBag:

I do rescue (mostly small breeds) so have some knowledge of dogs. Last year I had a beagle follow me at work. She was very young (about a year old). I fostered her for a while and found her a good home. She was super smart (trained to the clicker real quick). beagles stay small (about 35 lbs) & Full of energy. A labrador is also a good choice for you. Check with the Lab rescue people in your area. Or you may be able to get a runt of the litter that will stay smaller than 60lbs.

snow- thanks for the encouragement!! I think finding a dog will be like falling in love. You don't know when it's coming for you, but when it does you are head over heels and acting like a giddy little kid![/quote]

You're right--it is falling in love! :heart: I always know when I look into their eyes.

I'm so excited for you! Keep us posted!

hi lhasalover, do you have any lhasa's? My mom loves that breed and currently has 2 of them. They are funniest little dogs!!

I will certainly keep you all updated on what happens!!

It's a good point ^ I am just nervous that the shelter would be more anxious to place a dog and not keeping my needs in mind. I have also thought of doing a doggy day care so that the pup doesn't have to be home alone all the time. I have taken this Friday off and I will be going to local shelters, but wanted to have some breed knowledge under my belt. Keep the thoughts and suggestions coming!

My experience with shelters (I used to volunteer for a local shelter) is that they want the best match between pet and owner. The last thing they want is that dog back with them! Talk to the people at the shelter and explain what you'd like and they'll let you know if they have any dogs/puppies that will fit.

Also, being quite frank - my parents have a border collie and they are NOT good at being left alone with nothing to do for long periods of time. They are working dogs and without a "job" they tend to be a bit destructive.

On the other hand, my brother in law has a lab (ok, not under 60 pounds) but he's great when they go hunting, fishing - loves playing catch and great with kids.

My dog (about 85 pounds) is a Chow/German Shepherd mix and she's great with kids. Not so much with the running or climbing these days - she's almost 10 years old.

There is a website (or at least there was) that would ask questions about your lifestyle and then tell you what kinds of breeds would be the best match.

Just a few thoughts. I hope the information helps!

mary

When I got my dog years ago, I spent over a year researching which breed would be perfect for me to make a family with.

I read about breeds at www.AKC.org
I visited dog parks and asked people about their dogs.
I attended dog shows and interrogated breeders.
I read books about how to tell which breed is best for you.

All that research boiled down to 3 breeds. I decided on pug. (I need a toy breed because I live in a condo.)

Then I researched pug breeders so I would get a healthy pug who would be with me for many years.

I can report a very happy ending.

My beloved pug was with me for 14 very happy years before she recently died of old age 2 months ago.

Many of you tPFr's were very kind to me when she died. Thank you.

Take your time to be certain of the right breed for you. Then you will fall in love more deeply than you could ever imagine.

A Golden Retriever! or a Labrador. They're both athletic, good with kids and as far as I'm concerned, good watchdogs (meaning they'll at least bark to intruders). They're very cute too!!

From personal experience, I will always recommend a Rottweiler. Best dog breed for me, but it may not fit your requirements. They're not the most athletic dogs hehe.

thank you so much mireneh! After visiting some shelters and meeting some dogs this weekend i am feelign a lot better about shelters and rescue groups. There are some very dedicated people out there saving dogs!! Really make you proud!!

ProfNot, I totally know what you mean. I am doing lots of reading to find out the goods and bads of different dogs. I am also on a mission to meet as many as I can. Even doing a "dog walk" twice a day to start to get used to the routine and it allows me to meet other dogs out there!! Going to a dog show is a great idea too!

missmustard, good recommendation! Both of those breeds are turning out to be really great. Ha, although I did meet a black lab puppy that was quite the chewer of my hands. yikes!!

anufangava, the thread by FlungFlung really broke my heart!! There are so many dogs out there like that. I have PM'ed her, not sure if she is anywhere near NY. vbmenu_register("postmenu_2379341", true); vbmenu_register("postmenu_2370479", true); vbmenu_register("postmenu_2355368", true);
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2354617", true);

Update: I think we have finally narrowed down to the following breeds that seem to really fit us!

German Pinscher
Golden Retriever
Pharaoh Hound
German Shephard
Rhodesian Ridgeback

And the BF is now insisting that we also look at purebred pups too. So, I begin the breeder research phase and continue to make contacts so that if any of these dogs pop up we could swoop in and adopt him/her!

Thank you all again for your continuing support!!

I think it's great that you are doing your research before getting a dog. I wish more people did!

I see that you are gone from 7am to 6 pm during the work week. Do you think you could find someone to come in during the day and let the dog out? 11 hours is really too long to expect a dog to hold it without a potty break.

Good luck with your search!

Update: I think we have finally narrowed down to the following breeds that seem to really fit us!

German Pinscher
Golden Retriever
Pharaoh Hound
German Shephard
Rhodesian Ridgeback

And the BF is now insisting that we also look at purebred pups too. So, I begin the breeder research phase and continue to make contacts so that if any of these dogs pop up we could swoop in and adopt him/her!

Thank you all again for your continuing support!!

Have you ever met a standard poodle? With a short and practical do, instead of big frou-frou hair a standard poodle is a very agile athlete. They are now competing against labs in field trials.

http://www.vipoodle.org/

I think it's great that you are doing your research before getting a dog. I wish more people did!

I see that you are gone from 7am to 6 pm during the work week. Do you think you could find someone to come in during the day and let the dog out? 11 hours is really too long to expect a dog to hold it without a potty break.

Good luck with your search!

I am talking with my family members to see who else would like to help care for the dog (to help with potty breaks). Also, coming up with other creative solutions like looking at litter training the pup? and working a bunch of days from home for the first couple of months to help potty train? I have a bit more thinking to be 100% sure it will all work! But I know what you mean!