Loewe and Celine - made in China!!!!

When Prada handed partial production of some shoes to a Slovenian factory last year, it dispatched the plant's workers to Tuscany for training. Independent New York fashion house Lafayette 148, which makes knitwear, sent one of the world's top knitwear experts to China two years ago to teach factory workers Italian knitting techniques.

That, to me, is the only answer. :yes:

I would far prefer to continue to be able to buy Italian made items (particularly leather goods and knitwear), of course, but if that isn't possible, due to high demand and sky high prices, this is the only acceptable alternative, IMO.

Valentino, a unit of fashion and textile maker Marzotto SpA, rips out the "Made in Egypt" tags in its suits before shipping them to boutiques in Europe, where companies don't have to divulge where they make their products. For the U.S. and Japanese markets, where labeling rules are stricter, Valentino produces suits in Italy, where it also still makes its priciest items.

Outrageous! :wtf:

No wonder I had to guess that my Chloe Kerala wallet was made in Romania (there were certain tell-tale signs, but no labelling [in fact, that was one of the tell-tale signs!]); whereas, Aloha Rag had clearly stated that the tweed Paddys were made there.

In the U.S. and Japan, "perceived quality is more important than real quality," says Valentino CEO Michele Norsa.

Nice try, Michele, but you're not fooling anyone! :nogood:

In 2004, the hourly labor cost of a textile worker in Italy was $18.63 compared with 88 cents in Egypt, according to U.S. management consultant Werner International Inc.

I'm not saying that the Egyptian suits aren't, necessarily, well made (especially as the tailors have learned the same techniques) - but it is extremely disingenuous to hide their country of manufacture, if for no other reason than it affects perceived value for money; as it is far cheaper to manufacture there.

As consumers, we have the moral right to choose whether we buy something, or not, based on whether we feel it is reasonable value for money, in relation to its manufacturing cost, or not. :yes:

"It makes me sad that they take off the tags," said the factory's 39-year-old product manager, Yaser Husien Nada, when informed of the procedure. "But I am very happy to be making products for Europeans."

So it should make him sad, as it's pretty disrespectful, IMHO. :tdown:

Last edited:
It's an open secret now or rather the companies have readily admitted that some of their bags are indeed made in China. This is to capture the middle markets who have limited budget yet still would like to enjoy some luxury items. They claimed that they have also made some surveys (with the Japanese consumers) and found them to be receptive to made in China goods. Afterall the Japanese are only after the brandname, and Coach surprisingly is one of their favorite brands, besides the usual LV, Gucci and Prada. So that's how it goes.

I didn't read this entire thread, but I think there are components in just about every bag that came from China, but may have been assembled in Italy or France or the US. You can't get away from it.

You would assume that being a high design/high cost purse that they would come from some where nicer than China. That makes you wonder what other bags are made for $1.50 and solde for $1,700. :mad:

celine1.jpg
celine4.jpg

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

uhh... just so you guys know.

one of my buddies work for a top 10 shoe-manufacturing company in the world. all their factories are in China and they make shoes for Prada, YSL, etc., then ship them back to Italy.

Of course when i asked him how come he can't hook me up with some, he told me the couture houses are VERY CAREFUL with stocks, even he can't take them (he's already at the director level).

i think that most of us will prefer made in europe kind of tag than made in CHina. i think thats because there's a lot of bad media reports abt china stuffs. however people failed to realised that china also has a pool of talents. they have great artists, guys who can craft beautiful things from woods, jade etc, produce top notch cashmere (i read that china produced the BEST cashmere in the world)... so u see, if china can do these, what makes us think that they cannot do sewing. they are great at embroidery 'painting' with silk threads etc too.i guess another issue is that, when those companies went to produce bags etc in China, they cut down greatly on their overheads. They do not pass the discount to customers but seem to earn more income from these savings? In a way, customers feel that its not justified

Reactions: wenhuy
I don't deny that China has beautiful art and cuisine.... but the reason that I shy away from made in China in general is because they don't have high regulations and standards when it comes to mass producing..that's why we hear all those horror stories about dangerous and deadly chemicals found in baby's toys and dairy products.

If something is made in China ..unless it's a high end Chinese brand or a one of a kind piece of art it shouldn't costs thousands of dollars IMO.

piquing consumer interest
and in
the throes

what an informative article and I just LOVE the fact those words were used correctly. It has been quite a long while I've seen those words correctly on any internet forum, it was like a little treat :biggrin:

I take issue with the high prices even when significant cost savings are achieved: see "Saving on production costs to boost margins". Also given China's poor track record of safety in products (wasn't there a thread about lead levels found on made in China bags?) I am concerned about the enforcement of any safety standards on products produced there.

Last edited:
i read further up ....
...At the A-Arafa factory, managers hadn't been told that the Made in Egypt" labels are pulled off after the suits are shipped to Italy."It makes me sad that they take off the tags,", said the factory's 39-year-old product manager, Yaser Husien Nada, when informed of the procedure. But I am very happy to be making products for Europeans.....
This really sucks.......... i totally understand the manager feeling. They do something with pride and then, they sew that tags on and its been removed!!! Why do they have to sew that tag in the first place when they are going to remove it in the first place. This really is sad.i'm not siding with CHina but unless we have lots of testings done for the foods/color dyes etc from all over the world, then we wont know if they are just as bad (harmful substances etc). China is way too big and there's lots of people, including selfish or naive people that do not sense the seriousness of their "smart" ways of earning quick bucks etc like the milk powder case. Chinese is smart. But too bad, some of them used it on the WRONG way!!!

i think that most of us will prefer made in europe kind of tag than made in CHina. i think thats because there's a lot of bad media reports abt china stuffs. however people failed to realised that china also has a pool of talents. they have great artists, guys who can craft beautiful things from woods, jade etc, produce top notch cashmere (i read that china produced the BEST cashmere in the world)... so u see, if china can do these, what makes us think that they cannot do sewing. they are great at embroidery 'painting' with silk threads etc too.i guess another issue is that, when those companies went to produce bags etc in China, they cut down greatly on their overheads. They do not pass the discount to customers but seem to earn more income from these savings? In a way, customers feel that its not justified

I don't think the image can be changed fast even if media reported good things about china. if a brand was founded in a certain country (france) I'd feel cheated/ripped off if it was made in china. the quality can be as good as the french one, but it's just not the same feeling...

I don't think the image can be changed fast even if media reported good things about china. if a brand was founded in a certain country (france) I'd feel cheated/ripped off if it was made in china. the quality can be as good as the french one, but it's just not the same feeling...

i agree