LMB or Applegarde or....

What protects my little b-baby best?

• LovinMyBags (which product?)

• Applegarde (which product?)

• Other (educate me)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree with surferchick2 and stylefly: if you like the leather on your bag, don't treat it. Hopefully, we will all only buy bags with the leather that we like, but when we don't, then you can try moisturizing it. I would recommend the handle protecter however, so you don't end up with dark handles in a year.

what about treating only the handles with protectant...if you do that and treat nothing else on the bag, will there be any sort of color change or matting?

i don't want the handles to look different than the rest of the bag in an obvious way, but i would LOVE for them to be protected from darkening so quickly.

It is weird when I used the protectant on one bag, it darkened the handles slightly and on another lightened them slightly. But I think the color change is temporary and worth the risk to prevent the dirty darkening. When you apply it, use a very thin layer (rubbed onto the cloth first) and leave no visible residue (which will turn into a whitish coating). Good luck!

^I don't think whatever residue the handle protectant leaves is permanent... The handle protectant covers it with something that blocks oils from being absorbed. I think it wears off though since you need to reapply it every month or so. I wouldn't worry about it. That's better than having them darken permanently.

I have it, but only used it on one bag where the handles had already darkened a shade or two when I got it and the black city that I had to treat entirely. I'm so anal about the handles so I don't carry them that way so haven't had the nerve to use it on my other bags since the handles haven't darkened at all (I know this is the proper use for the cream), but I'm sure if you did apply it, it may mattify them if the luster is there to begin with. You can always use shine restore to bring the sheen back, which I used on the handles of my black city and they look great. Just make sure the handle cream completely dries.

I have used both. I prefer the Apple conditioner and Apple Guard. These products have been around for quite a while and have proven themselves. The LMB took the shine away and the cleaner doesn't clean as well as the Apple. I know some of the girls here say the cleaner is harsh, but it removed all of the dirt form the handles of my white city and caramel twiggy. It does dry it out a little, bit I condition after.
I don't listen to what the SA say. They all say that with almost every designer bag so that they won't be liable if you misuse the product.
I am using the LMB handle care but it's too early to tell. I think LMB is over priced and the jar of handle care has separated which I am not thrilled with. I didn't buy them, my Mom did. I used them. She also prefers the Apple products.
I think any moisture helps prevent scratches and repels dirt. Dry bags are like a dirt magnet. That is only MY opinion and what I do with my bags. it's a matter of personal preference. :yes:

I have used both and I prefer LMB.

When I first got my camel, i applied apple guarde. It kept the shine but did not seem to get in deep and moisturize.

The LMB MOISTURIZES!! It does leave the bag more matte, but thats a look i prefer. I have found the handle cream to be a life saver!!! 3 months with a camel using the handles and ABSOLUTELY NO DISCOLORATION (but i do reapply monthly and generously)

If i preferred more shine, i would use apple. deep moisturizing with more of a matte look: LMB. LMB HANDLE PROTECTOR NO MATTER WHAT MY CHOICE!

That's how I like it!!:yes:

I have both and prefer LMB, too because Apple seems to dry out the leather pretty severe. When I conditioned them with Apple they first seemed fine but they started to look much dryer than before after a couple of days. LMB doesn't do that, it moisturizes the bags just fine without drying them out later.

Ok, I'm new at this...what's the "handle protector"? is it a bal product or something else. It never occured to me to ask BalNY about bag care (I was too excited about my purchase!).

Any info would be helpful and appreciated!

Ok, I'm new at this...what's the "handle protector"? is it a bal product or something else. It never occured to me to ask BalNY about bag care (I was too excited about my purchase!).

Any info would be helpful and appreciated!

Handle protector is an item sold by lovin my bags. You use it as a thick cream to prevent darkening of handles. You apply it to the handles then wipe off.

I also use LMB pre-treatment moisturizer (all new bags) and LMB monthly moisturizer. As I said, it will leave the bag matte, but squishy and great!

If you want more shine, use Apple Guarde products.

thanks (hope that helps):yes:

I changed my mind after today. My flat brass was really dry. It's almost 4 years old and I don't think it had ever had any moisture. I did 2 coats of Apple conditoner when I got it. It soaked it on and looked great. Last night I got it out to use it and it was just as dry as before. I did 2 coats of the LMB conditioner and it looks a lot better than it did after the Apple, so I have to rethink my original opinion. It didn't take away shine at all, if anything, it made it shinier. I like the Apple better for new bags, but I think if they are really dry, older bags, the LMB conditoner may be a better choice.:yes:

Handle protector is an item sold by lovin my bags. You use it as a thick cream to prevent darkening of handles. You apply it to the handles then wipe off.

I also use LMB pre-treatment moisturizer (all new bags) and LMB monthly moisturizer. As I said, it will leave the bag matte, but squishy and great!

If you want more shine, use Apple Guarde products.

thanks (hope that helps):yes:

I did all of that then applied the LMB Shine Restorer and it did bring the shine back. Great products!

I didn't see or feel a difference once the apple garde lotion dried. It may have helped but didn't help it visually, and a parched bag needs to look better also. ;) I think their spray is good and easier to do a quick application on bags that are spongier and tend to absorb water to help protect them from rain.

I really like the LMB's ultimate moisturizer. I added the shine restore, which brought out the richness in the color (black). It's still matte, but rather than a dull chalkier matte, it has a nice luster now. Now the bag has a suppleness it didn't have before. I also used LeatherCPR cleaner/moisturizer as a pretreatment then buffed it when it dried before applying the LMB products. It's ingredient is natural lanolin so it doesn't have harsh chemicals (thanks to the PFer who turned me onto this!).

Here are some before & afters (and the afters are when the bag has completely dried). The first two are before treatment.

Attachments

• black city front before.JPG
    black city front before.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 244
  • black city back before.JPG
    black city back before.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 205
  • black city first flash.JPG
    black city first flash.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 200
  • black city no flash.JPG
    black city no flash.JPG