Let's talk about Homework

I think that the amount of homework that children receive in public schools nowadays is ridiculous. I simply don't understand why if a child spends 7-8 hours in school why they need to do hours of homework...probably because due to the nature of these schools, more time is spent disciplining children and other nonsense that the academic work gets shelved at times.

I was homeschooled, and I was only schooled four hours a day. I was more than ready for college; I won a fellowship and other awards.

I think a lot of the work the schools give children is busy work.

It's not really that the teachers are spending their time on discipline and "nonsense", it's more that lots of teachers don't get to chose their own curriculum these days (assigned to them by the school district) and they have to complete it within a certain period of time. This is how it was in my last year of High School. Our teachers were given a list of what they had to do by such and such date and at that date, we would receive a test from the state that we had to take for a grade.

When teachers are forced to speed up their teaching, they are going to expect kids to go home and learn the material themselves rather than going over it 100 times in class.

When teachers are forced to speed up their teaching, they are going to expect kids to go home and learn the material themselves rather than going over it 100 times in class.
I understand your point, but as a homeschooled child who has read up on pedagogy and curricula, the content that a child must learn to be prepared for higher education doesn't require all that time. In our circles, the required hours was always shortened, because without all the distraction of a public school, or the clamouring of a bureaucracy, the meat and potatoes only took a few hours a day. Yes, the administration piles on this extra, but it's really unnecessary, and that was my point.

And for evidence, homeschooled children score higher on academic benchmarks here in America than public schooled children; proof that all that all the extra is just what it is, busywork, and nothing substantive.

I understand your point, but as a homeschooled child who has read up on pedagogy and curricula, the content that a child must learn to be prepared for higher education doesn't require all that time. In our circles, the required hours was always shortened, because without all the distraction of a public school, or the clamouring of a bureaucracy, the meat and potatoes only took a few hours a day. Yes, the administration piles on this extra, but it's really unnecessary, and that was my point.

And for evidence, homeschooled children score higher on academic benchmarks here in America than public schooled children; proof that all that all the extra is just what it is, busywork, and nothing substantive.

Oh, I absolutely agree that because of class size numbers lessons must be slowed down to make sure that everyone is keeping up. No child left behind! I also sudied Paedagogy at the University of Maryland (Secondary ED major, bleh!) and I totaly understand where you are coming from :smile:

I love the concept of home schooling - but since I'm not too familiar with how it works in Germany (I'm a tad familiar with the US) I'm not sure if it would be something for my kid. I'd also be afraid that they wouldn't know how to interact with other kids...But of course, the interaction part would depend on if I exposed my kid to other kids or if I just kept them holed up in the house :smile:

I love the concept of home schooling - but since I'm not too familiar with how it works in Germany (I'm a tad familiar with the US) I'm not sure if it would be something for my kid. I'd also be afraid that they wouldn't know how to interact with other kids...But of course, the interaction part would depend on if I exposed my kid to other kids or if I just kept them holed up in the house :smile:
Unfortunately, homeschoolers are severely persecuted in Germany, jailed, etc... :sad:
As for the interaction, my parents put me in so many lessons and group activities that my head spun. I took tennis, swimming, soccer, gardening, piano, vocal, ice skating, acting. It's all up to the parent. And of course, homeschooling isn't for every family. :yes:

I'm a high school English teacher at an alternative high school and we are NOT ALLOWED to give homework according to school policy. Everything is done in class. Even reading! I like it though, and it works out for the specific population we have.

I have twin 4th graders...It isn't too bad right now. Last year they had an hour of homework M-TH and I really did think that was a lot for 3rd graders. I do know that in higher grades a lot of parents are saying it's really gotten out of hand and is several hours of work.

I'm currently 16/in grade 11 in high school..
I think we get way too much homework. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed with all the stress that I have to just break down and cry.

It's not that we have alot of day-to-day homework (well only in particular subjects..) but we have a ton of projects/assignments. I guess it's all in knowing how to manage your time but my teachers keep assigning new things as one thing has been handed in so it really gets stressful.

I'm busy most weekends now, and I spend a few hours a day on hmwk..

I miss those days in elementary school when we had time to finish stuff in school:hysteric:

*sighs* I wish I was homeschooled :sad:

I'm a middle school math teacher at a private school (6th & 8th - algebra for HS credit). I always tell my kids that if we work hard during the day, we normally don't have homework. I schedule 5-10 minutes at the end of the day to have them get started on their homework, and if I don't have to stop because of discipline, they can usually get most of it done (all if they work into their snack). I try to schedule more lengthy homework about twice a week (15-20 min) because I have two kids who have issues being responsible and doing homework, and I have two that have tutors that complain if they don't have work to do.

Ok....this is what I mean...this is just crazy! First grader came home with this special package for the next 2 weeks, since they have friday and monday off...so 8 days in school, package is due of course next Friday, so 7 school days for a list of 9. things, but some of the things are multiple parts, I put my time estimation in blue:

1. Cut out high frequency flash cards, review and do worksheet. Put spelling words in ABC order (10 words). 30

2. Write each spelling word twice. 20

3. Using one of the half and half papers, copy the poem and color a picture about the poem, Have an adult help you memorize the poem. 30

4. Read your book of the week. In your book journal draw a picture and write at least 5 sentences about something special in the book. Do five finger retell with an adult. Parents, please remember the book of the week does not count as independent reading and your child needs to read an additional 20 minutes. 40 (not counting independant reading)

5. Do the math pages (6 pages, front and back) 90

6. Write each spelling word in an interesting sentence. 30

7. Read your book of the week, again. Do the book report. Parents, please remember the book of the week does not count as independent reading and your child needs to read an additional 20 minutes. 40 (not counting independant reading)

8. Use the other half and half paper to draw a picture of something you did over the four day weekend, write at least 5 sentences. 30

9. Read Sam's cat, Max. Color it and do the 2 worksheets 30

Remember to do at least 20 minutes of independent reading each night and record into your January reading logs. 180

Plus there is a January calendar worksheet she forgot to list....20

Is it just me, or is that too much?

twinkle.tink - IMO that is a crazy amount of hmwk for a first grader! :wtf: I don't even think I had any hmwk when I was in the first grade.

I am so glad someone else thinks so too, I was mentioning it to my DH...and he was like, oh, that's fine!!! I said good then you do it with him, and see how frustrated he is after an hour!

Twinkle.tink - 1st grade was really crazy for us too. I knew it was going to be tough when the teachers sent home letter on the first day saying that it's not kindergarten anymore and the kids are going to be in for a rude awakening and they should get plenty of rest!! It was a lot of work, particularly w/ twins. It does get better though. Certain grades have more work then others for some reason. 3rd grade was tough too, but 4th isn't too bad so far.