Lethargic cat- can barely move & drinking lots of water

I'm so frustrated that the vet doesn't seem to have any real idea what's wrong with her. Her symtpoms are so severe you'd think it would a fairly obvious issue. How can a trained professional be so in the dark? I'm about to get angry with them if they don't start coming up with some real possibilities.

Just venting.

Is your vet just a regular vet or is it an animal hospital?? If it's not an actual animal hospital it might be worth a visit to one.

Sounds like you need a new vet or even an emergency vet. If there is fluid around the heart or lungs it needs to be drained and meds started right away. It shows on the x-ray as a large grey area and you can't see through it. I lost an older sick cat to heart failure and that was the final straw. Hopefully that is not what's wrong.

Just left the vet visit. The veterinarian thinks the most likely thing is pancreatitis. They want to run some more specific test, put her on IV fluids, pain meds and antibiotics. She has a fever of 103.4. They believe she has fluid in her abdomen and near her lungs. They think she's in pain. They also want to test her for Hyperthyroidism but they believe that's rare. They are doing more x-rays and another UA.

After they run the tests and monitor her they want me to pick her up and take her to the emergency clinic down the street where they can keep her overnight.

I cried on my way to work.

I thought of Pancreatitis but you said her glucose level was good? Well, at least you know what it is and can treat it. I had a Diabetic cat that had a couple bouts of Pancreatitis. Apparently it is painful but can be treated and your kitty can go back to normal. Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery. I know it is scary having her hooked up to an IV but it is the fastest way to get meds into them. She will feel a LOT better after the pain meds kick in.

^ Yes, both glucose and liver enzymes are normal. I brought that up but they still said it could be pancreatitis given all the other symptoms seem to fit.

I should know for sure today whether it's pancreatitis. If not, I hope the emergency clinic can be more insightful.

I hope you get a for sure answer quickly at the ER. It always makes me feel better to know exactly what's going on so that I can move on to treating the issue. I would have thought the pancreatitis issue would have come yesterday when doing her blood work.

I hope you get a for sure answer quickly at the ER. It always makes me feel better to know exactly what's going on so that I can move on to treating the issue. I would have thought the pancreatitis issue would have come yesterday when doing her blood work.

I didn't have blood work done yesterday, it was done monday. The very first signs of being sick happened on monday morning. (Sunday, she was totally normal.) I think because I brought her in so quickly the vet is wondering if her blood & UA would be more telling now that she's gotten worse. I don't know if that even makes sense but we'll see.

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. :hugs:

My sister's cat had Pancreatitis, several years ago. At the time he was a very large cat, probably close to 17 pounds. He was hospitalized for several days and lost over half his body weight. At one point the vet had told her that it's pretty much up to the cat. They were doing everything they could for him. As I mentioned that was several years ago. He never really gained any of the weight back except for a pound or two. He will be 17 this spring!
Fingers crossed they have discovered what is wrong with him and now they can start to treat him. Hugs to you and your baby.

My sister's cat had Pancreatitis, several years ago. At the time he was a very large cat, probably close to 17 pounds. He was hospitalized for several days and lost over half his body weight. At one point the vet had told her that it's pretty much up to the cat. They were doing everything they could for him. As I mentioned that was several years ago. He never really gained any of the weight back except for a pound or two. He will be 17 this spring!
Fingers crossed they have discovered what is wrong with him and now they can start to treat him. Hugs to you and your baby.

Do you remember if the cat lost weight at home before getting treatment? My cat hasn't lost any weight but maybe because it hasn't been long enough and I acted quickly..

Also, do you know what kind of home care the cat needed after being diagnosed?

Thank you, glad your Sister's cat has pulled through. :hugs:

littlerock said:
Do you remember if the cat lost weight at home before getting treatment? My cat hasn't lost any weight but maybe because it hasn't been long enough and I acted quickly..

Also, do you know what kind of home care the cat needed after being diagnosed?

Thank you, glad your Sister's cat has pulled through. :hugs:

I don't recall off hand about when the weight loss occurred. I will find out for you. As far as being managed at home, I'm pretty sure he was on some sort of pill medication. I will ask her that as well.

My Diabetic guy didn't lose a significant amount of weight. I guess because I caught it early. His sugar numbers were way off. After being on IV fluids for a day he came home with pain meds and I think an acid reducer. He had also had an antibiotic shot. It tool a while for him to recover but I think that was because he already had a major medical problem with the Diabetes.