Lethargic cat- can barely move & drinking lots of water

It's been confirmed that she has significant heart disease although that is not what is causing her original symptoms. The IV fluids originally given to her caused her to go into heart failure so they've discontinued any fluids and are hoping that she can retain her own fluids naturally at this point. The heart disease is called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. (sp?)

Additionally they found a lot of bacteria in her urine (not sure why the first vet didn't see that but whatever) and has a UTI that seems to be affecting her kidneys a little. They are a little inflamed. They are going to run a culture to make sure she's on the right kind of antibiotics.

At this point the vet said best case scenario is that it's just a UTI along with heart disease (unfortunately.) We're hoping she responds well to the antibiotic treatments and can get better on her own long enough to enjoy a few more years. If the UTI is just a secondary symptom of something else, I just don't know what to do..

We're still waiting for the pancreatitis test that they sent to some university that specializes in this area. We're hoping it's negative because fluids are the main treatment for pancreatitis but she can't have fluids now with the known heart disease. It's so weird to think she seemed perfectly normal on sunday. I guess this is how it goes though.

:cry:

Wow. That's a lot to handle all at once. But I have found that when a cat gets sick it happens quickly. Hopefully her UTI will be cleared and the heart disease can be treated. I have read that cats with heart disease that is caught early (as you did) can be treated and live symptom free for years. Also the type she has is more treatable than the other 2 options. At least there is something positive. There are a bunch of different meds that can be used for treatment. Little Kula will be in my prayers.

So relieved that progress with the diagnosis is being made.
I too have found that cats seem fine and then whammo they seem to go off the deep end. They are so good at hiding any discomfort or symptoms that there is no way to spot these things early.
Keeping our fingers crossed!

HCM is manageable for a while, if you really stay on top of it and follow the cardiologists recommendations and treatment. I would strongly recommend that you stick with this new hospital/clinic and not go back to the first one.

I would also suggest that you start calling around to several human pharmacies to get prices for the drugs, esp. Plavix and Lasix that Kula may end up getting. Prices vary quite a bit from store to store, and you will probably not have insurance to cover them.

With HCM, they will probably want to avoid anything that retains water in her body. If you need something for constipation, you can use plain canned pumpkin. It can get harder to find in the summer, so if your grocery store still has some, you might want to buy a few cans to keep in your stash. I had to mix that in my Willy's can food to keep him moving. He had kidney disease on top of the the HCM, so we had quite a balancing act to keep his heart "dry" and kidneys "wet."

Hugs for you and Kula, and I hope she can come home this weekend. :hugs:

HCM is manageable for a while, if you really stay on top of it and follow the cardiologists recommendations and treatment. I would strongly recommend that you stick with this new hospital/clinic and not go back to the first one.

I would also suggest that you start calling around to several human pharmacies to get prices for the drugs, esp. Plavix and Lasix that Kula may end up getting. Prices vary quite a bit from store to store, and you will probably not have insurance to cover them.

With HCM, they will probably want to avoid anything that retains water in her body. If you need something for constipation, you can use plain canned pumpkin. It can get harder to find in the summer, so if your grocery store still has some, you might want to buy a few cans to keep in your stash. I had to mix that in my Willy's can food to keep him moving. He had kidney disease on top of the the HCM, so we had quite a balancing act to keep his heart "dry" and kidneys "wet."

Hugs for you and Kula, and I hope she can come home this weekend. :hugs:

ITA. I have used 'human' pharmacies for some of my kitties meds. I used to be able to fill them at Kaiser, but I think that they stopped that, but I am not sure as I am able to get scrips from my dentist filled there.

I would post a review of the first vet online.

Thank you for your replies, everyone! :hugs: I am taking it all in. It's just hard getting use to the idea that Kula is now a sick kitty when she always seemed so healthy. If this had happened to her sister, Kena, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I guess that is the way it works though. Someone in my office told me that Kena (the one who seems like she should have issues.. she wheezes, isn't as active, etc) will probably live to be 20. While my previously healthy kitty is sick with heart failure. :cry:

Thank you for your replies, everyone! :hugs: I am taking it all in. It's just hard getting use to the idea that Kula is now a sick kitty when she always seemed so healthy. If this had happened to her sister, Kena, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I guess that is the way it works though. Someone in my office told me that Kena (the one who seems like she should have issues.. she wheezes, isn't as active, etc) will probably live to be 20. While my previously healthy kitty is sick with heart failure. :cry:
If Kena is a litter-sister, it might be a good idea to get her checked too, especially if she is a little wheezy. HCM can be hereditary.

^ Oh sorry, not sister by blood.. I adopted them together so they grew up like sisters. We picked Kula out and only intended on getting one kitty. Then the adoption agent said 'oh no, those two come together, we won't separate them.' All of a sudden we were going home with two kitties..lol. They are the best of friends though, like really close sisters are.

Gosh, how stressful for all of you. :hugs:

My boy kitty had an inflamed pancreas and badly infected gall bladder about 18 months ago and the vet really did not think he'd survive without having his gall bladder removed (starting at $5K) but thankfully he did as his 10 day stay in the hospital was expensive enough. Your kitty's symptoms sound quite different from my kitty's so hopefully there aren't any additional GI issues.