Leather for Kelly Sellier: Chevre VS Epsom

orchids, thanks for the input. One of the reasons that I like Chevre is because it is supposed to be light, for a 28cm Kelly would Vache Liegee be much heavier than Chevre?

Many who own VL Birkins say VL is light, however I have it in a sellier Kelly and it is heavier than my Fjord and Chevre selliers; however, it's not heavy enough to produce any kind of strain given the deisgn of the Kelly and in a 28cm, I don't think it would be an issue.

Ascella - Currently, I have 2 chevre bags: A 28cm sellier Kelly in chevre de coromandel and a 28cm HAC in chevre (not sure if coromandel or mangalore, but I think it's coromandel). Both hold their shape really well and I've never had problems with softness on the corners nor scratches.

I've also previously owned a 25cm retourne chevre mysore and that also held its shape really well ... no slouchiness and never had a problem with the corners.

Both chevre and epsom are very sturdy, durable and hold the shape really well. I also echo what hello said that with chevre (especially coromandel/mangalore/jansi), it really depends how the spine is because that can make the bag beautiful or look strange.

I've had my Chevre de Coromandel 32 sellier Kelly now for almost 2 years. I just took it to the spa for the first time since I was going to be in NYC anyway. The corners needed a bit of color touch-up. This is my work-horse bag that I carry the most. It has no scratches and does very well in rain/snow.

Yes, it has softened up a bit - a tiny bit of "droop" at one bottom corner, but I like this as it is a sellier and I don't like a stiff bag. To me, it's perfect - not "floopy" but not stiff/rigid either.

If stiff/formal is your goal, then you might be better off with another leather.

My personal choice would be for Chevre over Epsom. When Epsom gets corner wear (which it will no matter how careful you are) it can go down to the white faster than you can blink an eye. But the biggest issue with Epsom for me is that it feels papery....

I think with CDC is that on smaller sizes (28 and below), sometimes the spine may turn out rather large and I find this to overwhelm the bag - all you see is the spine. Still, I think chevre skin is positively one of the most stunning leather around. I would take that over any other regular calf skin (with the exception of boxcalf and natural barenia).

I have a Mysore Birking 35 in Chocolate color, J stamp (2006), gold Hard W. It haven't loose its shape and it looks like new. I love its sheen and I was told that is discont., that only it can be purchase by so.

I've got an epsom Kelly sellier and I must say it's not wearing well. Not sure if it's rubbing against my clothes, but the back of the bag looks chafed.

My chevre mysore Birkin does not have that problem at all. Chevre mysore has a very faint spine, if you can even see it at all. It's very light compared to other chevre varieties, and keeps it's shape very well.

Having handled both skins, I vote chevre. It's much hardier and scratch resistant.

If I'm not emotionally attached to my epsom kelly, I'd have traded it for a chevre kelly.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Chevre Mysore is used in SLG these days. It is more prone to "stretching" than Epsom. However in normal use, it wouldn't lose its shape. If you have an odd object that press against the leather for a prolong period of time, it may stretch that area and it'd be irreversible.

After you get the black kelly (in chevre or epsom) you should plan for another color in chevre. It takes on bright color so beautifully! :blush:

orchids, La Vanguardia, India, coleigh, S'Mom, ms piggy, Reinita, plum blossom, shopaholicious, thank you all for your thoughts, they have helped me a lot in making up my mind!

La Vanguardia: Can I ask you another question? I'm still debating whether I should get Sellier Kelly in 28 or 25 because I don't like to carry a lot of things, during my search on this board I saw you have both sizes and we are about the same size, do you find 25 too small and too formal for casual occasions?

India: I don't want the bag to be too formal, it's just that I really like the sellier design, so what you said suits me perfectly too.

S'Mom: I totally agree with you, somehow Epsom makes me think canvas...

ms piggy: Both box and barenia feels too formal for me, so that's why I'm not considering them, otherwise the decision would not have been as hard I guess.

orchids: A black sellier VL Kelly sounds gorgeous, I hope you will get it soon!

plum blossom: My dream deal would be a Mysore, it seems perfect from every point of view.

shopaholicious: I have already been drooling over some shocking pink and red bags in the reference section. :drool: