Leather Bomber or Motorcycle Jacket??

Honestly, when you pay less for a jacket you get less. The details are never right, the fit is never ideal, and the leather will be lower quality. I have a leather jacket I got for $200 and I love it for what it is: far from perfect (sleeves aren't long or slim enough, it's boxy, etc). Anyhow, if you're willing to invest in a nice bag you should certainly invest in a nice, versatile jacket like Rick Owen's amazing bombers or one of Balenciaga's classic moto jackets (both retail for $2,000+).

^ I think it's probably true that a $2000 jacket will be superior quality or design, but I can not tell the difference between $290 jacket and $850 jacket. At all. Some $290 jackets feel noticeably worse, but some $850 jackets feel like it's lower quality.

the S.W.O.R.D. jackets are amazing, I'm trying to decide between the Volterra or the Lucca one or both. The fit looks just about right.

Honestly some of the cheaper jackets just doesn't fit right, and leather jackets you want it to fit just right..it needs to be fitted IMO. Other jackets that i've tried on at nordstrom or Macys are kind of boxy..even if I get it in a X, XS, 0.....so yeh.

Gap also has a line of leather jackets this fall, $298 each. I like it!

gp498580-00p01v01.jpg

gp419016-00p01v01.jpg

I bought a cute one from Express today..its a very fitted motorcycle jacket which kind of reminds me of the ones hilary duff was wearing earlier this year.

1st one is from express. It's more of a distressed leather while the 2nd one from Arden B (bought earlier this year) is not.

Both in the $200's.

Do you remember what the Arden B jacket's name was? I LOVE it.

while these are cute, i would guess that you've probably never actually tried on or felt a s.w.o.r.d. jacket, otherwise you wouldn't have made the statement that they're overrated. the price is not only for style & design, it's also for the quality of the leather. If you feel the leather used by guess/bebe/A|X, you'll find it's not nearly the same quality as the type used by s.w.o.r.d. or mike & chris.

both types have their place in a wardrobe, but don't knock the high end 'til you try it, especially with leather. i've found the bomber/moto style jackets to be a very timeless style (i still have the very first motorcycle-type jacket i purchased 10 years ago, and i wear at least every other week, often more).

the difference between the 2 price points is lasting power; the guess jacket will start to crack after a couple of years and that type of leather doesn't age well. in contrast, the softer but more durable leather used by higher end brands will eventually mold to your body shape as it ages, acquiring that coveted buttery-soft, vintagey, made-just-for-you appearance.

so if you're looking for a "trendy" leather jacket to wear for a couple of seasons, by all means go for the guess styles; i've purchased my fair share of those, and they're definitely the way to go for the more faddish styles that you know will only last a couple of seasons. however, if you're looking for something to wear for years and years to come, splurging on s.w.o.r.d. or something similar is worth it in the long run.

my first-ever leather jacket, purchased in winter 1998/1999, photo taken July 2008:
attachment.php

s.w.o.r.d. gold leather bomber:
attachment.php

Attachments

• old leather.jpg
    old leather.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 878
  • s.w.o.r.d..jpg
    s.w.o.r.d..jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 661
the S.W.O.R.D. jackets are amazing, I'm trying to decide between the Volterra or the Lucca one or both. The fit looks just about right.

Honestly some of the cheaper jackets just doesn't fit right, and leather jackets you want it to fit just right..it needs to be fitted IMO. Other jackets that i've tried on at nordstrom or Macys are kind of boxy..even if I get it in a X, XS, 0.....so yeh.

yoohoo, hey Lec! imagine running into you here! :tup: ohhhhh go for both, i have both in several colours and they're TDF!!! :graucho: hehehe and the enabling spreads from HL to s.w.o.r.d.!