Le Dix (the first First/Classique/Lariet)

^^yah i think its def pewter hdw as you all have confirmed and most likely 2003 then? or was 2002 pewter in some cases too?

also...does 24.5 inches sound right for the strap length on these "original style balenciagas"??? they said 29 inches with the metal parts...

and any thoughts on the price listed?

Hello All,

I have been searching the forum for info on the Le Dix Style and have come up empty handed (of course the actual search feature is down so I am doing it the old-fahioned way).

I would like to know more about the size and look of this style. Is more like The First or The City?

Thanks

I'd wait for an expert to comment, but from what I've seen, I believe Le Dix refers to the original balenciaga bag, which was the "First" style. I'd have to search the reference to recall for sure, but I think the 01 first, maybe 02 as well, had the gold "le dix" stamp on the inside tag. Experts chime in please?

^ That is correct the interior tag was leather with gold lettering that reads:
LE DIX
BALENCIAGA
PARIS

It's the initial design of the First or Classique bag when they used flat brass hardware, squarish buckles, long plain strap with chunky clip and a few other small details that have changed over the years. It was released during the F/W '01 Balenciaga bag line and is referred to as a Lariat bag and Motorcycle bag as well.

Here's a few pictures of this style bag from the 3rd (final) and 2nd seasons made:
02_choco_vs_black_fbf.jpg

02_fbf_choco_vs_black.jpg

Now though it's much easier to just purchase a "First" style Balenciaga bag which has generally the same look:

02_first_vs_05_first.jpg

02_first_vs_05_first_close.jpg

02_first_vs_05_first_side.jpg

I hope that helped ;o)

Sooo I was checking this bag out and was wondering if fellow Balenciaga tpf'ers can help me out with this:

1. Is this from 2002 or 2003?

2. this is the flat brass style with the longer messenger strap right? how long should the messenger strap be for these original firsts?

3. what is a good/fair price for this bag...or if some pfers dont mind sharing how much they have paid for a bag like this in excellent condition at resale locations?

Thanks soooo much!!!

7b69_12.JPG

0465_12.JPG

8426_12.JPG

01c4_3.JPG

^ This is a very rare bag. It's likely from F/W '02 or S/S '03 since it has the longest of the shoulder straps that the First style had then which is about 29" with the clips, so it can be worn cross-body by many women.

During S/S '02 Balenciaga had flat brass hardware only and a 24" strap including the clips. Then in F/W '02 the flat brass was alongside this raised pewter hardware upon at least three materials: arena leather (similar to today's distressed bags), monk leather (distressed sueded leather) and luscious suede (thick and delicious) bags.

This particular bag has the most unusual "monk leather" that's sort of a cross between leather and suede with cool, crackly distressing. Once broken in it's super soft and too cool!