Labiaplasty?

Gosh isn't it ok to say I want to change myself without there being a huge psychological reason behind it? Do we ask women who are natural brunettes what childhood trauma they have gone thru that makes them want to be blonde? Just like a person who exersizes to acheive a certain look I am certain there are people who use surgery to achieve a look too. Maybe you would not do it but I don't think that you need any explaination for why another person would. Geez. She asked if anyone had gone thru the surgery and what their experiences were, not what you thought of her doing the surgery.

Tad bit different from getting permanent surgery.

Tad bit different from getting permanent surgery.

I dunno, in my time on this forum, several times I remeber reading posts including once in the secret section about posters confessing they buy high priced designer bags to make themselves feel better about themselves because they feel bad about their weight or appearance and no one jumped to psychologically analyze them. Somehow surgery is a different story and people feel it's ok to comment about others people choices.

From my understanding, women get labiaplasty for a number of reasons (a desire to reduce pain or discomfort, shame or embarrassment, to increase sexual function, etc.). Whatever the reason, if OP feels like she needs/wants the procedure, then that's her prerogative. I see nothing wrong with a little plastic surgery to make yourself feel better (physically or emotionally). I didn't get the impression that OP was coming here for a pep-talk on why she should be happy just the way she is...

I second this. I'd also be interested to hear from people who have had this done, just out of curiosity now that I've read through all of the posts.

OP - since this is not a commonly discussed surgery, I think your best bet is to visit a plastic surgery forum, where you can probably find more discussion about the surgery itself with other women. Good luck :smile:

I actually would consider this and not at all for cosmetic reasons. After 4 babies my nether regions just aren't what they used to be and certain activities that resulted in those beautiful babies can be really uncomfortable and sometimes painful. So I totally get that reason for a procedure. I don't think pain and discomfort should be classified as cosemetic anyway. A person getting a breast reduction does it because of pain (normally)

OP good luck with your decision. If it makes you more comfortable, go for it.

ITA, have considered this myself of late even, given how much time i spend in the gym, it can be uncomfortable running 40 miles a week or sitting on a bike for 20 miles, so kudos to the op for having the guts to post this thread....and like Julide's previous post, i don't question her judgement at all, whether we want to change from brunette to blond, or cover the gray hair or get laser hair removel or make our female nether parts improved, it's all the same, about wanting to be hppy and comfortable in our own bodies (as my DH said when we married - some day post kids if you want to put your body back together the way I found you that's fine with me, or NOT - YOUR choice ;) ) we should respect the freedom to choose and not judge the motivation......

and as the op originally asked, i would also love to her from anyone whose had some experience with this procedure.....but those passing judgement please start your own thread :P

I dunno, in my time on this forum, several times I remeber reading posts including once in the secret section about posters confessing they buy high priced designer bags to make themselves feel better about themselves because they feel bad about their weight or appearance and no one jumped to psychologically analyze them. Somehow surgery is a different story and people feel it's ok to comment about others people choices.

Yes, it's as though people who undergo cosmetic surgery are somehow psychologically damaged, emotionally unstable, or have suffered some sort of abuse??? Lots of normal, intelligent, everyday people get cosmetic surgery for lots of different reasons. Granted, surgery is permanent (for the most part), but most of us engage in some level of altering our appearances to fit into or appeal to the rest of society.
I don't get why some people think it's okay to psychologically evaluate the OP when she came here looking for support?

Guess you have to consider the audience. If I was a part of that thread, I most certainly would have questioned their motives.

And I've gone over this multiple times in other plastic surgery threads. Plastic surgery usually stems from an insecurity and insecurities typically stem from something psychological. If you choose to deny the fact that many women, who get plastic surgery, still have self worth and self esteem issues, fine, but the numbers are there.

So for the converse, why is it so bad to perhaps address the psychological side of this and maybe help someone become more at ease with themselves instead of spending thousands of dollars on surgery??

In other words, I'd be more concerned about why she feels her vagina isn't attractive (ie some form of abuse in the past)....if that's a major reason for wanting this.

I think that's a pretty big leap to make. ANYONE posting here (on any part of the forum) could have been the victim of abuse, and they may handle relationships poorly because of it or buy designer items to compensate or dress a certain way in response to it or want to change their appearance in one way or another. What I'm saying is that there is no reason to suspect from what the OP said that abuse factors into this at all.

And, surprisingly, when I looked this procedure up I found blog postings indicating that apparently many men DO care about appearances in that arena. And many women have had unwelcomed comments made regarding things. So I suppose combined with some of the physical discomfort other posters have described (which I never realized might be a possibility, either), someone's appearance in that area might make them uncomfortable in a number of ways. At the very least, many swimwear bottoms are pretty tight in that area, making it difficult at best to hide any junk in that particular trunk.

I guess I just view this the same way I view many other plastic surgeries. I don't think a person needs to be psychologically damaged to consider this, nor do I think it is any weirder than many other cosmetic procedures. Again, these kinds of surgeries aren't for me, but that doesn't mean others are wrong or unusual for considering or going through with them.

I think that's a pretty big leap to make. ANYONE posting here (on any part of the forum) could have been the victim of abuse, and they may handle relationships poorly because of it or buy designer items to compensate or dress a certain way in response to it or want to change their appearance in one way or another. What I'm saying is that there is no reason to suspect from what the OP said that abuse factors into this at all.

And, surprisingly, when I looked this procedure up I found blog postings indicating that apparently many men DO care about appearances in that arena. And many women have had unwelcomed comments made regarding things. So I suppose combined with some of the physical discomfort other posters have described (which I never realized might be a possibility, either), someone's appearance in that area might make them uncomfortable in a number of ways. At the very least, many swimwear bottoms are pretty tight in that area, making it difficult at best to hide any junk in that particular trunk.

I guess I just view this the same way I view many other plastic surgeries. I don't think a person needs to be psychologically damaged to consider this, nor do I think it is any weirder than many other cosmetic procedures. Again, these kinds of surgeries aren't for me, but that doesn't mean others are wrong or unusual for considering or going through with them.

Is that not a form of abuse?

^ It depends. If the woman was already sensitive about her appearance in that area and someone made a comment that wasn't intended to be disparaging, she might interpret it negatively. For a lot of women, any comment at all about appearance of their lady parts is unwelcomed.

Again, I just think it's a stretch to assume she wants to change herself due to abuse. This may really be her own issue, and something she decided she wanted to change all on her own. To assume that the woman who wants breast implants is okay but the woman who wants labiaplasty is abused is just unfair.

Guess you have to consider the audience. If I was a part of that thread, I most certainly would have questioned their motives.

And I've gone over this multiple times in other plastic surgery threads. Plastic surgery usually stems from an insecurity and insecurities typically stem from something psychological. If you choose to deny the fact that many women, who get plastic surgery, still have self worth and self esteem issues, fine, but the numbers are there.

So for the converse, why is it so bad to perhaps address the psychological side of this and maybe help someone become more at ease with themselves instead of spending thousands of dollars on surgery??

When people chose to get plastic surgery, I'm sure there are some that have psychological issues or have had troubled pasts...but I take it at face value. If someone genuinely doesn't like their nose, it's just that: they don't like their nose, they're self-conscious about it, they want to fix it, end of story.

I would love to get my boobs done. I haven't had any traumatic experiences, I wasn't abused, people didn't make fun of me, etc. When I talk to people about it, they actually wonder why I would want breast augmentation. I'm a 32DDD, and I hate them. They're too big, that's it. There's no other motive behind it.

OP - since this is not a commonly discussed surgery, I think your best bet is to visit a plastic surgery forum, where you can probably find more discussion about the surgery itself with other women. Good luck :smile:

I second this. Good luck OP, and if you want to get it done: do it! :hugs:

But what difference does it make to you if someone spends thousands of dollars on plastic surgery? Why do you feel the need to address their mental health? Do you think OP has any interest in assessing why you feel the need to spend thousands of dollars on that motorcycle in your avatar? Clearly, a motorcycle is completely different than surgery, but you're still spending money on something that makes you feel better. Again, I don't see why it's okay to address someone's mental health when it comes to plastic surgery or to take it a step further by implying that they have had some sort of abuse.
Different people put different emphasis on different things (you even said so yourself in the "My BF won't come with me to the hospital" thread). Plastic surgery (or any surgery for that matter) is not that big of a deal to some people. If someone places a greater emphasis on an aspect of their physical appearance and they choose to alter it with surgery, why does that make them damaged in some way or mentally unfit? Why can't it just mean that for whatever reason, they place a greater emphasis on their physical appearance than you?

I love how your language: " if you choose to deny the fact" insinuates this entire black and white mentality: if you are not with me, you are against me. I don't choose to deny the fact, I acknowledge that SOME, and you can't say many unless you have a valid statistical source at hand to back up your claims for the majority get it for insecurity reasons. Usually in your own words does not = not always. Perphas OP is in that "minority" here.

There is nothing wrong with like you mentioned perphas politely making sure someone is doing it for the right reasons, but what I see much more of, people providing their opionions and psycho-analysis in the invasive manner and when it is not asked. I would not care if someone was making ignorant assumptions about me based on my life decisions, but if they were actively making those asumptions known to me and trying to analyze my reasoning behind those decisions I would.

But what difference does it make to you if someone spends thousands of dollars on plastic surgery? Why do you feel the need to address their mental health? Do you think OP has any interest in assessing why you feel the need to spend thousands of dollars on that motorcycle in your avatar? Clearly, a motorcycle is completely different than surgery, but you're still spending money on something that makes you feel better. Again, I don't see why it's okay to address someone's mental health when it comes to plastic surgery or to take it a step further by implying that they have had some sort of abuse.
Different people put different emphasis on different things (you even said so yourself in the "My BF won't come with me to the hospital" thread). Plastic surgery (or any surgery for that matter) is not that big of a deal to some people. If someone places a greater emphasis on an aspect of their physical appearance and they choose to alter it with surgery, why does that make them damaged in some way or mentally unfit? Why can't it just mean that for whatever reason, they place a greater emphasis on their physical appearance than you?

This makes no sense ^^^ and is not remotely comparable to what we're talking about.

Look, I just sensed something in the OP's first post and I'm simply probing a bit. Jesus. She said she's been uncomfortable with her genitals since she was a little girl. That raised a flag...sorry!
I've not talked down to her, nor tried to make her wants invalid. I'm simply asking her to explore the root causes as to why she wants this. And I'd do the same for anyone asking about any plastic surgery.
Yes, people put different emphases on different things. If someone came in here and asked about amputating a leg, would you say "Go for it!" or perhaps question their motives a bit? And if you would question them, where does that line start? Cutting a leg off...not good, but cutting part of your genitals off...ok??