Kind of shocking Nordstroms experience

Jul 4, 2007
A lovely SA in St Louis did a search for me for an MZ Wallace Bag that had been discontinued. She found one for me ... I think it was the only one left in the company and it was on sale. I was so excited. The bag arrived today from the Nordies in the Annapolis Mall and when I opened the front pocket it was full of someone's things. The pocket contained: Coupons, a school photo of a young boy, a certificate of achievement of some kind (which had clearly been wet), other store receipts (a return to the Coach store). Inside was a cosmetic pouch and when I opened it up there was a nail clipper inside ... yuck!

I called Nordies Customer service and they apologized and said that they would speak to the handbag department about checking things more closely in the future. I was sort of surprised that that was all they had to say.

That is the main problem the the Nordstrom return policy. They need to cut their losses on the returns by selling what they can. Many times the returned shoes are refurbished and sold at the Rack, but at the Rack customers know they are getting good deals, so this isn't an issue. If you are paying full price, used items are unacceptable. Unfortunately the lenient return policy is not the best for a company trying to make a profit. Since Nordstrom became a publicly traded company, they now need to look at their bottom line instead of just providing excellent customer service

A lovely SA in St Louis did a search for me for an MZ Wallace Bag that had been discontinued. She found one for me ... I think it was the only one left in the company and it was on sale. I was so excited. The bag arrived today from the Nordies in the Annapolis Mall and when I opened the front pocket it was full of someone's things. The pocket contained: Coupons, a school photo of a young boy, a certificate of achievement of some kind (which had clearly been wet), other store receipts (a return to the Coach store). Inside was a cosmetic pouch and when I opened it up there was a nail clipper inside ... yuck!

You got a discontinued bag, the last one, on sale. It is unfortunate that a clerk did not check the bag thoroughly, but I'm thinking you're incredibly lucky and should just let this one go. Everybody makes mistakes. You have the last one that Nordstrom had - at a sale price - sent right to your door - and the person who returned it is a pig and no longer has the bag. YOU WIN. Sometimes perfection is not attainable.

Whomever shipped it probably forgot to check the pockets to empty it out. As indiaink pointed out, if you got the last item that is a discontinued item, chances are it's gonna be a return of some sort.

Not sure what you wanted Nordstrom to do in this situation though; they apologized and said they would look into it. What more is there to do?

^ sorry I disagree - the love for the bag would go flat once finding someones things in there and the nail clippers did me in.
I don't care how rare the bag is, they could have it back with any nail clippings that may have strayed inside.
I like brand spankin new without the extra "gifts".

You got a discontinued bag, the last one, on sale. It is unfortunate that a clerk did not check the bag thoroughly, but I'm thinking you're incredibly lucky and should just let this one go. Everybody makes mistakes. You have the last one that Nordstrom had - at a sale price - sent right to your door - and the person who returned it is a pig and no longer has the bag. YOU WIN. Sometimes perfection is not attainable.

:goodpost:

And it was nail clippers left in the bag, not nail clippings. For Pete's sake, even if it was - it's just a fingernail.

^ sorry I disagree - the love for the bag would go flat once finding someones things in there and the nail clippers did me in.
I don't care how rare the bag is, they could have it back with any nail clippings that may have strayed inside.
I like brand spankin new without the extra "gifts".

If that's the case, and you must have "brand new," then the bag should just be returned. There's nothing Nordstrom can do about it -- if it is a discontinued item, there is only so much stock available. It's not like Nordstrom can go and procur another "new" one.

Having said that, I agree that it definitely would affect my "love" for the bag if I found that it had been used and then returned. The question is whether I still liked the bag enough to keep it. But that's up to each individual.

Wow! This is like an ebay significantlly not as described item!!:wtf:
I'm very picky. That's why I usually buy a thing from a store. If I receive an item like that, I would be just so mad!!

Anyway, I understand it's tough situation for you. This bag is the last one. And very hard to find. Is it possible for you to go to a store to talk to your SA's supervisor or a store manager? I remember a member bought a bag at Nordies on sale. She found the bag's handle had some kind of flaws. She brought back it to the store and found the bag was no longer available in any other stores. The store manager asked her if she would like to keep the bag, they would be happy to give her some more discount. So, she took it.

I'm sorry about this mess. I hope you will have a happy ending. Good luck!