Keratin hair treatment

shihfan

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Has anyone tried the keratin hair treatment? My hairstylist recently recommended this to me. Supposingly it leaves you with straight glossy shiny hair.... short of like japanese straight perm but without all the damages to your hair! the keratin coats your hair and you get straight smooth hair without needing to blowdry or style. He also says althought it makes hair straight it wont turn out as flat as a straight perm.....

Sounds so tempting but im a little scared! If any of you had tried this I would love to hear your experience... =)

I got this about six weeks ago, on my thick, curly hair, which is now frizz-free and wavy without straightening. When I do straighten, it takes 5-10 minutes and lasts three days or so (my hairdresser suggested not washing keratin-treated hair too often). I think it was completely worth it, my hair looks so much healthier now.

i know so many people that have done it, and all love it.
there are some that contain formaldehyde but you can also get it without, i believe.

for now i just use the shampoo and conditioner since i'm pregnant but once i have the baby i will go for the straightening process.

thanks for the replies!
I guess my biggest fears is that researching online I've noted some ppl reporting hair falling out with this treatment.... I've already got thin hair... can't afford more falling out!

Do a search on here, there are a couple of threads about it. I think one of them has "Brazilian Blowdry" in the title. I am considering it myself but still unsure.

I'm bumping this thread because I just got my hair done and my stylist recommend a Keratin Treatment. She said it takes three hours. They put in the treatment and then flat iron the hair and then I cannot wash my hair for FOUR DAYS afterward. I also cannot pull my hair back or tuck it behind my ears. This part sounds God-awful to me. After the four days (it might actually be a day or so less because my hair is fine), they will wash it out for me and style it.

There were several girls at the salon who had the treatment, and their hair looked AMAZING! I think I am going to do it, but like I said, the whole part about not washing my hair doesn't sound like fun. Has anyone tried this?

I've had the Keratin treatment done 3 times so far! It lasts about 6 months, and doesn't damage your hair. The last time I had it done was in April, so I'm due again. I think it's the best thing I've ever done for my hair.......especially in humid South Florida!! :heart::heart::heart:

I've had it done and didn't notice a difference, granted I have fine stick straight hair and my colorist suggested it as a way for me to cut down on blowdry time (don't know why I listened I rarely blowdry) and to keep my very blonde hair looking healthy and shiny. The not washing can be a pain, and also you can't really put it up during that time bc you can't have clips or ponytailholders leaving dents in your hair. To make a long story short I didn't get it done again and consider it a waste of $500. But at the same time I am thinking I was just not a good candidate for the treatment, so I'm sure it does have positives, just not for me.

I have thick wavy hair and tried it in August. The salon told me I would love it and that I was a great candidate. It was ~$400, and it lasted about only about 1 month for me - if that (and I used the special shampoo/conditioner and didn't swim or anything as chlorine makes it wash out). I barely noticed a difference during that month. I won't be trying it again!