Just back from FSH - Have you heard this?

webaj

O.G.
Jul 12, 2009
I just returned from a very quick trip to Paris, which, of course, included two visits to the FSH store. I worked with a great SA and, as a result, have now added a gold togo Gypsiere with PHW and white taurillion 35 cm Birkin with GHW to my collection.:smile:

I have heard a number of different pieces of advice on how to properly store a Birkin...in the box, out of the box, sitting up, laying flat out of the box, etc...but I had never heard the advice the SA gave me yesterday. She said that you should store your Birkins hanging up with a book inside the bag to keep the leather from wrinkling on the sides?! She demonstrated by placing the Hermes leather book inside my new bag and hanging it from a hook. Has anyone else heard this advice...or do they just make this stuff up for those of us who are guillable, Birkin-hungry tourists?

that's what i thought, the leather around the handles will get all stretched. i don't mind them stretched from heavy and regular usage but not from storage...

that's what i thought, the leather around the handles will get all stretched. i don't mind them stretched from heavy and regular usage but not from storage...

That's my same sentiment.

When you handcarry a Birkin, the contact point is broader, as in the width of your palm. But when you hang it on a hook, it's that small area that takes the whole weight of the birkin. And the handles are strained all the time; from usage and storage.

Letting it have its beauty sleep is what I like best for Birkins that are not in use. In humid countries, make sure there's a dehumidifer. And take it out from time to time to air it and moisturise it with leather cream. Air it completely before storing it back again.

The only Birkin that I hang up, as an exception is my SB. I've given away the huge box, and it's horrible just sitting on my shelf as it is so slouchy and collapses forward. So this, I hang it up.

BIG mistake to hang just about ANY bag! I wonder how new this SA was - VERY bad advice she's giving. The handles will stretch where they attach to the bag and it will never be the same again.

agree on the v bad advice given .. though you can stuff a loose pillow inside to help keep it's shape when in storage if you like the pristine look .. but and H bags looks best when used .. has character^

BIG mistake to hang just about ANY bag! I wonder how new this SA was - VERY bad advice she's giving. The handles will stretch where they attach to the bag and it will never be the same again.

Absolutely true, India. Never the same again. My SB handles are pointy from my hanging. But I did it knowing it would. Not the best thing to do for my SB, but I would rather have pointy handles, than have a deep crease line where the SB folds forward. I don't recommend this for all SB owners if you have a choice of letting them rest on their sides.

Thanks to all for the opinions. I had the exact same thought about the handles...plus I couldn't figure out where I was going to put my clothes while all the handbags were hanging! This SA was very nice but she went on and on with the instructions....how to travel home with them, when to spa, why (in her opinion) the felt is useless. I felt like I was in school...but apparently a very bad school. It is disturbing that FSH allows their representatives to give out such bad advice. I've solved the problem with my SB II storage by shipping it off for consignment. I will never love that bag so I might as well let someone else love it. Thanks again to all who commented. I have learned so much from reading these boards and would never have become a happy H shopper without your help.

Thanks to all for the opinions. I had the exact same thought about the handles...plus I couldn't figure out where I was going to put my clothes while all the handbags were hanging! This SA was very nice but she went on and on with the instructions....how to travel home with them, when to spa, why (in her opinion) the felt is useless. I felt like I was in school...but apparently a very bad school. It is disturbing that FSH allows their representatives to give out such bad advice. I've solved the problem with my SB II storage by shipping it off for consignment. I will never love that bag so I might as well let someone else love it. Thanks again to all who commented. I have learned so much from reading these boards and would never have become a happy H shopper without your help.

:wtf: The more you say about this SA, the clearer it is that she's giving you horrible advice. The felt is NOT useless. You need to put back this felt over the strap, to prevent the resin from making marks on your bags; especially the resin on top of the front panel of your bag, and the the interior lining of the flap. I had bought a resale bag from eBay, and the seller made no indication of the felt being missing when the bag's in storage. I was so excited in finding the bag, I forgot to ask for interior pictures of the bag. When I received the bag, and opened it, I unknowingly peeled apart what looked like the resin having fused with the interior lining of the bag. The interior lining is now peeled and H can't do anything about it, short of replacing the interior lining.

:wtf: The more you say about this SA, the clearer it is that she's giving you horrible advice. The felt is NOT useless. You need to put back this felt over the strap, to prevent the resin from making marks on your bags
ITA mrssparkles. I'm surprised the SA actually give out advices like these. Also, at FSH, sales people are very professional but reserved. The fact that this one went on and on with "information" seen a little unusual. Perhaps she really is very new.

:wtf: The more you say about this SA, the clearer it is that she's giving you horrible advice. The felt is NOT useless. You need to put back this felt over the strap, to prevent the resin from making marks on your bags; especially the resin on top of the front panel of your bag, and the the interior lining of the flap. I had bought a resale bag from eBay, and the seller made no indication of the felt being missing when the bag's in storage. I was so excited in finding the bag, I forgot to ask for interior pictures of the bag. When I received the bag, and opened it, I unknowingly peeled apart what looked like the resin having fused with the interior lining of the bag. The interior lining is now peeled and H can't do anything about it, short of replacing the interior lining.

It happened to me a few months ago! Luckily our craftsman was able to remove it in a tick. What a heart-stopping moment when one first sees the marks. Now I'm a very good girl at storing my bags.

OP, don't follow that SA's advice! And congrats on your new babies, pictures please! :P