Just back from FSH - Have you heard this?

:wtf: The more you say about this SA, the clearer it is that she's giving you horrible advice. The felt is NOT useless. You need to put back this felt over the strap, to prevent the resin from making marks on your bags; especially the resin on top of the front panel of your bag, and the the interior lining of the flap. I had bought a resale bag from eBay, and the seller made no indication of the felt being missing when the bag's in storage. I was so excited in finding the bag, I forgot to ask for interior pictures of the bag. When I received the bag, and opened it, I unknowingly peeled apart what looked like the resin having fused with the interior lining of the bag. The interior lining is now peeled and H can't do anything about it, short of replacing the interior lining.

I never knew this was the reason for the felt :idea: Mrs. S you are the best! Thank you for pointing this out~ Even though I've always just put the felt back when I store my bags, I never knew why..:P

That's my same sentiment.

When you handcarry a Birkin, the contact point is broader, as in the width of your palm. But when you hang it on a hook, it's that small area that takes the whole weight of the birkin. And the handles are strained all the time; from usage and storage.

Letting it have its beauty sleep is what I like best for Birkins that are not in use. In humid countries, make sure there's a dehumidifer. And take it out from time to time to air it and moisturise it with leather cream. Air it completely before storing it back again.

The only Birkin that I hang up, as an exception is my SB. I've given away the huge box, and it's horrible just sitting on my shelf as it is so slouchy and collapses forward. So this, I hang it up.

Would not hang up my bag especially by the handles.. think if

you stuff it with acid free white tissue and keep it in its sleeper

for storage it should be fine.. all bags need tlc..and reconditioning

whether a spa treatment at H or a do it yourself one..

I don't like the idea of hanging the purse up for storage.

I do have to admit I use a purse hook when out and about and never thought about that doing damage :shame: It's just that I can not stand to set any purse, (be a $10 or $10,000 purse), on the ground because it is so dirty and the germs. :wtf: LOL now I am in a quandary - I don't want to hurt my birkins handles but I just don't think I could set any purse on the ground! :thinking:

Boo & lovely,

Glad to be of help. The damage can be quite nasty if a bag is stored away for a long time without the felt protector. It only overs the the resin on the front panel of the bag. The sides have no protection. Which is why sometimes when you open an old H bag, the interior lining under the flap have marks on the sides. In worse cases, patches of the interior lining being peeled off!

laney i'm with you on the germs. i don't care about scratches and scrapes, but the dirt and germs on floors is truly disgusting.

eg. in a restaurant, the person before you stepped in some dog poo or human pee in the loo and then their shoes and pee/poo get deposited all over the carpet. they leave, you come and you dump your bag the dirtied spot. yikes.

^^^ I agree; and I don't always feel like asking for an extra chair, especially when it's crowded. But I also don't like hanging it on my baghook; still don't understand why they haven't developped one with a broader surface yet. Oh well, I just keep it on my lap :P

The only time I have ever "hung" a bag was when I accidentally forgot one of my slouchy birkins on a shelf for a few months (it was in the dustbag) and the handles somehow got smooshed against the wall. I hung the bag after that from a doorknob for a few weeks to pull them back into shape.

Other than that, suppose you have a lot of bags ... how on earth logistically do you "hang" numerous bags?? On a wall with pegs? A closet pole? I can't even come up with a situation where that storage solution would work.

That advice just makes zero sense!

Oh, wow. Thank you MrsSparkles for the advice on the felt. I have to admit I have probably been bad about that. The felt is in the boxes in most cases but I've never replaced it. Maybe I will be doing something about that today ...

Your advice is always invaluable!

Boo & lovely,

Glad to be of help. The damage can be quite nasty if a bag is stored away for a long time without the felt protector. It only overs the the resin on the front panel of the bag. The sides have no protection. Which is why sometimes when you open an old H bag, the interior lining under the flap have marks on the sides. In worse cases, patches of the interior lining being peeled off!

Mrs. S~~I promise to be good and always put the felt back and to take my bags out to play and get some fresh air like you've told me before~ :biggrin:

but now I'm re-thinking using my purse hook when I go out..... those poor handles..... arghh~~ I'll just have DH hold my bags on his lap:graucho: