Home & Garden It all began with a painting and a glass of wine...

Just came in from cleaning the front do0r area, storm door, moving right to the garden area and did one of the two garage doors. I worked as high as a extension broom brush could reach but hubby now tells me we have a bigger brush about 12 feet tall. Got wet with water and the soap liquid dripping on me. It does look clean. Now about the front door. I have a white double front door with glass stained brown. White storm doors and white wooden trim around it. I think the doors and storm doors would need to be painted that dark sea foam green to blend it all together. It would be easy because the glass on the storm door comes out easy with side hinges. But to paint correctly I would need to remove the storm does and paint them in the back yard. No problem unscrew the hinges. Then put them ack up and ain't the front doors so they can sty open for the whole day to dry. Only problem is hubby does not know I bought this beautiful green paint to do this. I am sure he might freak out over changing the previous owners ugly stain n the doors because it was there first it should just stay the same color. But there is nothing special about our entrance. A neighbor painted their doors and storm doors burgundy and it looks very pretty. Need to repaint the white wood trim around the doors too. I hope to start some of this in two days. Give everything a day to dry off tomorrow. The concrete steps entrance needs major cleaning. Probably a pressure cleaner will be best. Also the metal railings need to be sanded and painted. I feel I need to do one area at a time. We have been here for ten years so it is time to do the entrance back to looking perfect. It does not bother hubby if it looks this way but I hate it.

Thanks for the cleaning tip! Our entry looks great now that the old summer spiderwebs are gone:smile:
I was a mess after cleaning the siding but the end result was worth it.
Do you own a pressure washer? We finally invested in one a few years ago, it really makes cleaning concrete a breeze. The noise is the only thing that bothers me, it's really loud!

The coffee table in our living room is brown marble. It's a beautiful piece but the color isn't working with the vibe I am attempting to achieve. So... I went to a marble slab yard and selected a beautiful Carrera white marble slab. The selection was incredible, I had a tough time deciding but one in particular caught my eye. I found a great marble fabricator, he is going to cut the table top for me, my wonderful husband will build the base and I will paint it. I am going to make this new table higher than the one we have now, maybe about three inches higher...and a little bit larger as well. I love serving appetizers in this room and there never seems to be enough space on the table.

The slab that I selected was huge. I started thinking about other projects, hmmm...maybe a new dining room table to match the living room? The thought of not using every inch of the slab was really bothering me. I talked it over with my DH and we came up with a fun plan. Because we have such a large family a new larger dining room table sounded like a great idea. We have now been working on this for a week, every evening.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I am not a fan of Resoration Hardware. I actually love everything in the store but in just doesn't always work in our home. Our antiques and handmade furniture have created a "look" that I need to maintain. However, there is a chandelier on display that I love! Our chandelier is about 18 years old. We selected it when we built our home. Nothing fancy, very forgettable. With the new table that we are building I think we are going to need something pretty to hang above!
I must mention again that my wonderful husband is being very patient through all of this...our house is a MESS!

Last edited:
Wow-the new table sounds great and then to make a matching bigger one. How wonderful your husband is happy to help with your creative adventures. My best friends and I used to do all sorts of things together with furniture. When she first got divorced she had many dark antique pieces we bought from thrift shops and estate sales. One of her best projects was a very long ornate dresser that she wanted to put in the bathroom for a sink vanity. She was able to get a granite top and beautiful ornate copper sink that sat on the granite. Very unusual. She had the most beautiful furniture that I literally made her buy so she would not do her whole house in her married stuff since the divorce was horrible. When she left to move into a new place the lady who was going to rent her townhouse bought most of her furniture for double of what she paid for which was nice because she was into redoing a new place with new projects.

My new thing is working with Annie Sloan chaulk paint. It does on stunning colors. You don't need to prime first. You put her fear wax on after you ain't and can overlay her dark wax to get an antique distressed look. I bought it in a French bluish color to redo my kitchen set. Need to find the right fabric o recover the chairs. I so miss the rage fabric decorating centers in Florida where one could wanted forever looking at all the beautiful fabrics.

Your big chairs look very comfortable and I love the leopard ones. My sister is big on decorating with touches of animal prints. :smile:

I am trying to decide if I am motivated to go back outside and finish washing down
the other garage door and house siding area now. Last night I was looking up painting garage doors. Hubby would de if I did this but all the pictures online looked great. It is a very easy project only a hour or under for each door. Something to wait till the spring to do.:smile:

Since the outside is looking so clean and freaks I am motivated to stay and pay outside. May go to Home Depot and get some concrete edging blocks to put around the front entrance gardens. I really want to take the pants out of one and use huge concrete blocks to make it a small patio area with plants in big pottery pieces and maybe a fountain too.

Since we work from home hubby s always here. Before wen e went on a one week business trip my friends and I would do all sorts of things. He would not even notice that rooms in the house were repainted.

Forgot to mention I love the chess set. My son loves to play chess and I think I am going to try to start to look fr pieces like this to make him a set. You should post this on the HGTV decorating site. It is one of the most unique and creative things I ever saw.

You are one energetic gal, good for you! Isn't it fun fixing things up in your home? I love finishing a project and admiring the end result, even if it is simply cleaning a dirty sink!
I hope your girlfriend took pictures of all of her creations, they sound beautiful.

The big black chairs are the most comfortable chairs in our home. They are our reading chairs every morning with a big cup of coffee. The big window behind looks out to our park, it's a beautiful view, especially in the fall.

Oh I hope you do make a chess table, we adore ours!

The coffee table is now finished!
I have two of these little chairs in front of it, our kids loved sitting in these when they were little. Our grandson now enjoys them when he visits. They were my mom's, given to her by her mom when my brother and I were born, lots of special memories!
I recovered the seats to match the new black chairs.
I am happy with the changes so far. Everything we have kept has special meaning, I just want to be surrounded by things that make us happy, remind us of our past and make our family and friends feel comfortable and welcome.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380074832.193619.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380075107.602194.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380075135.068250.jpg

My Uncle recently moved into a senior assisted living home. Prior to moving, he asked all of his relatives to come over to choose something special from his home. We had a pot luck dinner and spent hours telling stories, laughing and selecting our treasures. We drew numbers...out of 37 relatives I drew the last number. The funny thing is, I think I ended up with the most wonderful piece of all! My uncle bought this camera when he was 10. He saved paper route money to buy it. I chose this because for as long as I can remember my "silly uncle Billy" would make awful faces when ever his picture was taken... Similar to what my boys used to do when they were four or five! It's a memory piece that I treasure. It looks perfect in the living room.
.ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380076705.652059.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe how fast you are pulling things together. Everything looks so unique and stunning like a piece of art. I think the camera is a great choice be because of the meaning behind it.

Was talking to my friend about your beautiful chess set. She loves to play chess. We were talking about unique things one could use to make a chess set and I thought of miniature and larger empty perfume bottles. I remember years ago my one friend had boxes of samples perfume bottles. Her mom was a perfume lady at a high end store and always got tons of samples sent to her her from the different perfume companies. She made a stunning wreath with roses and perfume bottles tied with ribbon hanging all over the wreath and kept it by her front door. When she had company you could go over and cut a sample bottle off the wreath for yourself. How cool is that?
I am trying to motivate myself today. Not in the mood to paint so I will work inside. Might put some new curtain rods up.

Here is a side view of our table, I painted the wooden base black.
For now I am using a small black sheepskin rug under the table. We bought it in New Zealand and have been waiting to use it! Any other rug suggestions? I think our dog has discovered a new favorite napping spot!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380293170.885434.jpg

Our ugly black chairs are back from their face lift! I also had new foam put into the cushions, they were a bit slouchy.
The couches have also arrived but I am not finished sewing the toss pillows for them so I will wait to share a pic when these are ready.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380293500.234256.jpg

Can't believe how fast you are pulling things together. Everything looks so unique and stunning like a piece of art. I think the camera is a great choice be because of the meaning behind it.

Was talking to my friend about your beautiful chess set. She loves to play chess. We were talking about unique things one could use to make a chess set and I thought of miniature and larger empty perfume bottles. I remember years ago my one friend had boxes of samples perfume bottles. Her mom was a perfume lady at a high end store and always got tons of samples sent to her her from the different perfume companies. She made a stunning wreath with roses and perfume bottles tied with ribbon hanging all over the wreath and kept it by her front door. When she had company you could go over and cut a sample bottle off the wreath for yourself. How cool is that?
I am trying to motivate myself today. Not in the mood to paint so I will work inside. Might put some new curtain rods up.

You are so sweet, thank you!
I love your idea about using perfume bottles for a chess board, brilliant!
Ease make I e and share a pic!
The story about the perfume same wreath is wonderful. What a creative idea:smile:
Did you get the curtain rods put up?