Home & Garden It all began with a painting and a glass of wine...

Love the finished table. The black rug under it looks nice. I could see how your dog would find it comfortable. The chairs and checkered fabric look great too. Gives a French feeling to the kitchen.

The chairs with the different fabrics are stunning. I love to see things mixed up like this, it makes a piece more interesting. I think the prints together really brighten up the room versus the original chair. You are so creative.:smile:

Never got the curtain rods up, decided to clean my desk instead. I try to get rid of paperwork but am amazed at how much stuff I can still go through to get rid of. I like to have all my personal and work files in order with new folders so I decide to start and it takes all day.

I am now going outside to paint the front trim around the door with white primer. I need to prime the two storm doors but I think it will be easier to take them off their hinges and bring them inside or to the back patio area. I might wait till tomorrow morning. Also with them off I could have easier access to paint the inside door frame areas.

It is funny because I feel like once I start on one thing then I want to continue and do ten other projects. This house is and will never be my dream home. I don't like the design compared to our other houses which were very contemporary with lots of floor to ceiling windows, white wood ceilings with huge beams and unique floor plans. This is a boxy Colonial with square everything. I am trying my best to make it work but I doubt I will ever feel it s truly home. Sadly every builder here builds these ugly Colonial houses with the almost exact floor plans. We are also in a development with only four house styles so picture 150 houses looking the same. When we lived in Florida it was such a different life. Because of this I am trying to do things that can make it work here.

Gillianna I have a very strong feeling that you have the determination and creativity to make this home of your quite special and unique. It's the personal touches to one's home that set it apart from others...even if the floor plan it identical!

We are thrilled with the chairs, it already gives a room a happy feeling, SO much better than the dull black "safe" chairs.

Today I am working on finishing the side table lamp and chandelier over the dining room table.
Lots so tedious stringing of crystals, sewing etc...I am on a mission to complete these today!
My reading glasses will be working overtime...

Such a great room! I am in love with your table. So much so that I think I may copy your idea for a desk top. :smile:

Here is a side view of our table, I painted the wooden base black.
For now I am using a small black sheepskin rug under the table. We bought it in New Zealand and have been waiting to use it! Any other rug suggestions? I think our dog has discovered a new favorite napping spot!
View attachment 2347713

Here is a side view of our table, I painted the wooden base black.
For now I am using a small black sheepskin rug under the table. We bought it in New Zealand and have been waiting to use it! Any other rug suggestions? I think our dog has discovered a new favorite napping spot!
View attachment 2347713

Beautiful!

I would never put a sheepskin rug where dogs can get to it. Unless you can find an easy way to clean and brush it. We are looking at indoor/outdoor rugs now on twiggers' thread. Join us!

Our ugly black chairs are back from their face lift! I also had new foam put into the cushions, they were a bit slouchy.
The couches have also arrived but I am not finished sewing the toss pillows for them so I will wait to share a pic when these are ready.
View attachment 2347716

This is so creative! Reminds me of Sarah Richardson, the way you can put so many fabric patterns together.

Such a great room! I am in love with your table. So much so that I think I may copy your idea for a desk top. :smile:

Oh yea! I hope you do make a desk like this! It was actually very easy, be sure to post a pic if you make one.
Marble dealers often have smaller scraps for purchase at a huge discount, that way you don't have to purchase an entire slab of marble. I also used a good marble sealer to protect the stone. Good luck!

Beautiful!

I would never put a sheepskin rug where dogs can get to it. Unless you can find an easy way to clean and brush it. We are looking at indoor/outdoor rugs now on twiggers' thread. Join us!

This is so creative! Reminds me of Sarah Richardson, the way you can put so many fabric patterns together.

Thank you Jesssh! I will wander on over and take a look at the thread, thanks for the suggestion! We hadn't planned on using the sheepskin under the table but thought we would just "try" the look after spending far too many days searching for a rug. What I do like is that it has a bit of a non traditional 3D look to it. We previously had a small oriental rug in that spot. It just isn't working well there now. When we put the sheepskin down yesterday our dog immediately sat on it, I worried for a minute then realized that a vacuum hose will easily get rid of any unwanted "Lucky" fur. I tried it this morning and so far so good! I am still pondering other options so any ideas are so helpful!

Thank you Bags and Bijoux! Yes Jo Malone...Are you also a JM fan? The large candle is grapefruit, the four small ones are orange blossom. They make the house smell so fresh and crisp. They are my "must have" luxury item.

I love Jo Malone! The packaging is very chic. I use the fig and cassis cologne. I have a list of candles I would like to try too.

Our ugly black chairs are back from their face lift! I also had new foam put into the cushions, they were a bit slouchy.
The couches have also arrived but I am not finished sewing the toss pillows for them so I will wait to share a pic when these are ready.
View attachment 2347716

Wonderful. This thread is five-star, LDM. Thank you for sharing, and wow!!! What a chair!

View attachment 2347716

I'm doing some remodeling myself, well getting ready. And was lurking the home section for ideas.

I'm in love/awe with what you did with this chair. Thanks for posting and sharing. :smile:

I love Jo Malone! The packaging is very chic. I use the fig and cassis cologne. I have a list of candles I would like to try too.

Now I want to try fig and cassis...or make a pastry with those ingredients! I wear Bluebell and Blackberry and Bay mainly but switch around according to the season. I miss the gardenia, I was so sorry when they discontinued that fragrance. Do try their candles, they are wonderful!

Wonderful. This thread is five-star, LDM. Thank you for sharing, and wow!!! What a chair!

You are very sweet, thank you CB! This has been a fun project and I hope others will see how easy it is to make just a few changes to create a new feeling in a room by using what we have, shopping around for deals and doing most of the work ourselves:smile:

Last edited:
I'm doing some remodeling myself, well getting ready. And was lurking the home section for ideas.

I'm in love/awe with what you did with this chair. Thanks for posting and sharing. :smile:

Thank you Longchamp! I hope you will share your project as well. It's fun to get ideas and inspiration from others. Good luck with your adventure!

The past two days we have been hard at work on the "kind of" new dining room table and chandelier.
I finished the little table lamp yesterday, I love it! Over the years I have collected buttons of all shapes and sizes. I often find cute sweaters and jackets on sale then change out the buttons to make them even better. My mom used to do the same thing. Almost every piece of clothing that she owned had special buttons, pewter, wood, ceramic, etc... It was her signature style. When she passed away I donated her clothing to a local woman's shelter, but I saved several dozen buttons from her very favorite outfits. ( I sewed regular buttons back on for the ladies in the shelter) I have saved theses buttons the past few years waiting for the right project. I used some on two pretty cashmere sweaters that I bought in Australia this summer and put her pewter buttons on those. The little lamp on the table by the couch need some desperate TLC. I used my trusty can of spray paint and first painted it black. I then found a great simple lamp shade at Tuesday Morning ( kind of like a tiny TJ MAXX). I sewed her random buttons up the shade
for a fun different look. Most importantly the lamp is now a special memory keepsake for us. I love how this ordinary , very BLAH table lamp has been transformed into something we adore!