issey miyake bilbao bao bao bag

could anyone tell me what's the difference between lucent and prism? even i see some retailers got mixed between both of them.

also does the LOG bag only comes once in every season? i'd love to have the upcoming log but it comes in matte which is leather and the reason i love bao bao is for its pvc 'weather friendly' material great for travelling

could anyone tell me what's the difference between lucent and prism? even i see some retailers got mixed between both of them.

also does the LOG bag only comes once in every season? i'd love to have the upcoming log but it comes in matte which is leather and the reason i love bao bao is for its pvc 'weather friendly' material great for travelling
Hi @Sakurai888, I know your question is a few months old but I was looking into these bags and found this page on the various styles. Hope this helps!
https://www.shopbaobaoisseymiyake.com/styles
Lucent
Lucent is the classic and identifiable style with isosceles triangular pieces. Pieces arranged in regular formation over a mesh fabric, present a different look each time the bag changes its shape, and as contents are placed inside. Bags come in different designs of a clutch, a tote, or a cross body bag. The basic tote has six “squares” across, and six “squares” down – a perfect geometric design. Lucent Pro features the wider handle providing extra stability, and the bag has eight “squares” across, and eight “squares” down - big enough to accommodate A3-size portfolios.
Prism
This style features smaller isosceles triangles than those used in the Lucent series, making the shape change even more dramatically. A tote, a clutch, and a chain clutch are available in this series. The basic Prism tote has ten “squares” across, and six “squares” down. The chain-clutch can be used three ways: make the chain longer, and you’ll have a cross-body bag; double the chain, and it’s a one-shoulder bag; remove the chain, and use it as a clutch.

I can't find out anything about the LOG bag release frequency though.

Last edited:
Hi @Sakurai888, I know your question is a few months old but I was looking into these bags and found this page on the various styles. Hope this helps!
https://www.shopbaobaoisseymiyake.com/styles
Lucent
Lucent is the classic and identifiable style with isosceles triangular pieces. Pieces arranged in regular formation over a mesh fabric, present a different look each time the bag changes its shape, and as contents are placed inside. Bags come in different designs of a clutch, a tote, or a cross body bag. The basic tote has six “squares” across, and six “squares” down – a perfect geometric design. Lucent Pro features the wider handle providing extra stability, and the bag has eight “squares” across, and eight “squares” down - big enough to accommodate A3-size portfolios.
Prism
This style features smaller isosceles triangles than those used in the Lucent series, making the shape change even more dramatically. A tote, a clutch, and a chain clutch are available in this series. The basic Prism tote has ten “squares” across, and six “squares” down. The chain-clutch can be used three ways: make the chain longer, and you’ll have a cross-body bag; double the chain, and it’s a one-shoulder bag; remove the chain, and use it as a clutch.

I can't find out anything about the LOG bag release frequency though.
Hi redney :smile:

Thanks so much for the info. At the end i settled witg basic prism that could be worn as shoulder and crossbody. Luv it!! Wont be my last purchase of baobao.

My local Sa explains that lucent only has 2 triangular shapes which happens that they have that styles in stock too. But i know thats not the case when browsing online. It seems the only thing differentiates between lucent and prism is only the size of the triangle.
This season has the log but in leather material. I really hope they'd have it in pvc again in the future and in metalloc colours

Cheers

I am going to Japan next month. Does anyone know if there is still a long line to buy Bao Bao? If yes, any tips and trick? I am going to Osaka and Tokyo so hopefully I can score a Bao Bao from this visit. Thanks in advance!

I am going to Japan next month. Does anyone know if there is still a long line to buy Bao Bao? If yes, any tips and trick? I am going to Osaka and Tokyo so hopefully I can score a Bao Bao from this visit. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm sorry no one was able to give you any advice, but I'm wondering if you can help a fellow shopper out? I'm headed there in a couple weeks and I'd love to know about your experience if you purchased one? Hearing about the long queues scared me a bit and I know I won't have time to queue if there is one, but I'm dying to just get my hands on a BaoBao. If you have any thoughts to share I'd love to hear them!

And if anyone has anything else to chime in, about certain stores and whether or not certain stores sell certain styles, please let me know!

Thank you!

ladies, can anyone comment on the durability of the tote bag?
i want to carry my stuff while travling...the camera is heavy about 2 pounds....
TIA!!
I'd also like to know more about how durable Bao Baos are :yes: I'm so tempted and thinking of using it as an out n about with my kids bag. Not for hiking :no: but for going to parks, city outings etc. I never put my leather bags on the ground but I would like to be able to put a Bao Bao on the ground, stone walls around play grounds etc and not baby it. Could they handle it?

I saw a woman out with a gorgeous silver Bao Bao a couple of days ago. I think it's the second or third time I've seen one in these parts, so not very common here.

Reactions: pianolize
Hi! I'm sorry no one was able to give you any advice, but I'm wondering if you can help a fellow shopper out? I'm headed there in a couple weeks and I'd love to know about your experience if you purchased one? Hearing about the long queues scared me a bit and I know I won't have time to queue if there is one, but I'm dying to just get my hands on a BaoBao. If you have any thoughts to share I'd love to hear them!

And if anyone has anything else to chime in, about certain stores and whether or not certain stores sell certain styles, please let me know!

Thank you!

I am not in Japan yet LOL -- going there next week. I will try my luck to go to one of their stores (the one that uses the lottery system) but I will not be persistent to go every day since I have other things to do. My Japanese friend said it's cheaper to buy online in the States. I heard Narita airport also has a store and it's easier to get the bag(s) from this location. I will let you know my experience once I get back from Japan which is gonna be the beginning of Dec. :smile:

I am not in Japan yet LOL -- going there next week. I will try my luck to go to one of their stores (the one that uses the lottery system) but I will not be persistent to go every day since I have other things to do. My Japanese friend said it's cheaper to buy online in the States. I heard Narita airport also has a store and it's easier to get the bag(s) from this location. I will let you know my experience once I get back from Japan which is gonna be the beginning of Dec. :smile:
Interesting! Even with the VAT refund? (Which is admittedly rather small at 5%) Have a great and safe trip!!!