issey miyake bilbao bao bao bag

Just bought my first two Bao Bao bags in Asia (Bangkok) a couple of weeks ago! The Row Metallic hadn’t even been released in North America yet, and the Crystal (-3?) tote was marked down 50%! Can anyone give me some intel on the Crystal tote? What season is it from? This one seems larger than the normal Crystal...is the style name really Crystal-3? (I’m just basing this on what I could find on Farfetch.) [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

View attachment 3951106View attachment 3951107
OMG that's seriously an amazing red bag:loveeyes:I was searching for these bags while I was in Japan 2 yrs. ago but I didn't see the red one. I bet I came home with one of those sigh. I've never seen one in red at La Fayette either:frown:

Reactions: ChanelCanuck
At first I wasn't into them but now, I have two!lol I bought these from my recent trip to Japan :smile:
Ooh, I’ve been eyeing the one on the right! They have some bags with beautiful patterns. Great choice ;) when you were in Japan, did you have to line up to enter the store and was it as crazy/out of stock as all the older blogs on the internet have said?

Ooh, I’ve been eyeing the one on the right! They have some bags with beautiful patterns. Great choice ;) when you were in Japan, did you have to line up to enter the store and was it as crazy/out of stock as all the older blogs on the internet have said?

The black one just came out feb 1 according to the SA :smile: Nope, no lines at all!! Lots of stocks as well :smile:

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I think it was 58000 yen. Oh and I learnt that Bao Bao is slightly cheaper in the airport, even after tax refunds. :smile:

You’re kidding! Whoa! You got a great price. Mine was about the same. (About US$560 equivalent, not including my VAT refund.) I wonder if you get more VAT back at the airport where it’s duty free, versus applying for it where there are admin fees etc that take a % off too.

You’re kidding! Whoa! You got a great price. Mine was about the same. (About US$560 equivalent, not including my VAT refund.) I wonder if you get more VAT back at the airport where it’s duty free, versus applying for it where there are admin fees etc that take a % off too.

I recently passed through Tokyo. There are two stores in Narita Airport. It depends on which one you go to.
- The Terminal 2 store is landside, so it's only tax free with passport (not duty free) which is equivalent to buying in Tokyo with your passport and getting a tax refund. Stock looked good but not sure if it's as good as Tokyo.
- Terminal 1 has a store airside past security, so it's duty free (more than just sales tax refund). I haven't flown out of it in ages, so can't speak to it.

I recently passed through Tokyo. There are two stores in Narita Airport. It depends on which one you go to.
- The Terminal 2 store is landside, so it's only tax free with passport (not duty free) which is equivalent to buying in Tokyo with your passport and getting a tax refund. Stock looked good but not sure if it's as good as Tokyo.
- Terminal 1 has a store airside past security, so it's duty free (more than just sales tax refund). I haven't flown out of it in ages, so can't speak to it.

Interesting! I didn't know there was a difference between tax-free and duty-free. Does "duty-free" = no tax + no duty cost passed on from when the distributor (say, here, the store) imported for sale?

Hello! I just purchased my first Bao Bao Issey Miyake from ThredUp, which is an online thrift store. Since I'm not familiar with the brand, I am a bit unsure of the authenticity. The dust bag is especially throwing me off- it's very thin and cheaply sown and the screenprinting seems cheap. When I compare the bag itself to other bags, the hardware seems wrong slightly. And some of the triangles have slight imperfections- almost like they've been punched out of a mold. But otherwise it seems to have all the other features. It also does not have a tag or authenticity card. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 20180828_145051.jpg
    20180828_145051.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,521
  • 20180828_145220.jpg
    20180828_145220.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,519
  • 20180828_145238.jpg
    20180828_145238.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 20180828_145316.jpg
    20180828_145316.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,524
  • 20180828_145411.jpg
    20180828_145411.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 20180828_145430.jpg
    20180828_145430.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,511
Hooray, so happy to be joining this club! I've wanted a Bao Bao for years!

IMG_2377.JPG

I chose this particular model because I'm not too much of a tote gal, the more elaborate designs are a little expensive, and white would match a lot of my wardrobe!

This little guy is perfect for me because I can wear it crossbody for hands free days, I can double up the chain to carry it by hand or the crook of my arm for when I'm feeling fancy or my back is tired, and I can remove the chain to wear as a clutch, which looks super cool! I think it's more versatile than the canvas strap style, as it can dress up or down. Worth the $55 price difference IMHO!

The chain is uncomfortable on bare skin or a t-shirt layer, so when it's time to shed the coat, I'm probably going to buy a strap pad from Etsy so I can still wear my bag, as I usually hate chain straps! I don't have a problem with thicker layers and coats on with this bag though. Another con is that the white color is a little bit more prone to wear. There are some scuffs already from a couple of weeks of constant use, but I never get upset over wear so it doesn't bother me!

I love how much it fits (my essentials with room for more!) and how freaking cool it looks when it takes the shape of what it's holding. I know Bao Baos have been out for years now, but I'm still marveling over Issey Miyake's genius for innovative design.

Final plus, I love that this bag is vegan!! And the bag somehow feels slightly squishier than I thought it would - I thought the tiles would be made of a harder PVC but they're quite bendy!