Is Tiffany silver really worth it?

I'm not sure if there already is a thread like this but I haven't been able to find exactly the answer I'm looking for! I recently got into Tiffany. I'm usually a gold lover but there is something about Tiffany silver that is irrisistable!
I especially love the key and lock collections and think it would look really cute either on a chain or as a charm bracelet.
My question is, is it really worth it?!
I feel like the silver tarnishes easily and gets really scratched up. I know that its inevitable but I feel like it just makes an overpriced piece of jewellery look cheap!:
I have had a long love-affair with Tiffany silver, and thus have owned quite a few pieces over the years. Currently, I wear two rings, a bracelet, and a necklace daily, never taking them off- I wear them to bed, in the shower...everywhere, really...and they do not have scratches, and still hold a beautiful shine to them.

Based on my experience, Tiffany quality is amazing, and very hardy...given that I am not delicate with my pieces and they still look fab [as far as I'm concerned]. My other pieces that I keep in Tiffany pouches do not tarnish, either. Overall, Tiffany silver is low maintenance, yet a truly classic accessory that speaks for itself.

Now, in terms of price...retail is definitely overpriced, because the resale value is so low compared to what you pay. If I really loved a piece, I would pay retail, but I stopped buying new pieces a while ago because of the high retail price. I've bought a couple pieces preloved, and I will continue to do so, because the price point is much better, and the pieces are generally in wonderful condition.

Bottom line- silver or not, I know some of the pieces I own will be with me for a lifetime, and that makes Tiffany Silver a YAY in my book! :yahoo:

I have had a long love-affair with Tiffany silver, and thus have owned quite a few pieces over the years. Currently, I wear two rings, a bracelet, and a necklace daily, never taking them off- I wear them to bed, in the shower...everywhere, really...and they do not have scratches, and still hold a beautiful shine to them.

Based on my experience, Tiffany quality is amazing, and very hardy...given that I am not delicate with my pieces and they still look fab [as far as I'm concerned]. My other pieces that I keep in Tiffany pouches do not tarnish, either. Overall, Tiffany silver is low maintenance, yet a truly classic accessory that speaks for itself.

Now, in terms of price...retail is definitely overpriced, because the resale value is so low compared to what you pay. If I really loved a piece, I would pay retail, but I stopped buying new pieces a while ago because of the high retail price. I've bought a couple pieces preloved, and I will continue to do so, because the price point is much better, and the pieces are generally in wonderful condition.

Bottom line- silver or not, I know some of the pieces I own will be with me for a lifetime, and that makes Tiffany Silver a YAY in my book! :yahoo:
I am curious - where do you buy preloved tiffany - I'm leery of ebay due to the replicas and I have no idea how to spot a fake - thanks!

I am curious - where do you buy preloved tiffany - I'm leery of ebay due to the replicas and I have no idea how to spot a fake - thanks!
Hey girl! I have never bought preloved Tiffany off of Ebay, because I, too, am leery.

I have bought 4 silver pieces preloved- bean earrings, bead bracelet, eternal circle pendant, and the venetian bracelet. The first 3 of those pieces I bought at reputable consignment shops- I live in a big city, and we have quite a number of luxury consignment places that sell Tiffany, David Yurman, etc.

As for the 4th piece- I bought it from Kijiji [the canadian version of craigslist], however I asked the seller to meet me at Tiffany's [we have a few in the city], so I could get it authenticated. We took it to the upper floor, where you go to drop off jewelry to get it repaired or polished, and the gracious man there authenticated it without hassle and off we went! It's beneficial to know that you can use the store as somewhat of a resource and have a piece authenticated.

So the short answer is- IDK how you would 100% authenticate on Ebay, unless you directly messaged the seller and asked for many detailed pics, and then compared them to pics of the actual piece from the site or otherwise. Beyond that, I would suggest luxury consignment shops OR luxury jewelry consignment shops, because they are trusted sources.

Hope some of that info helped! Last but not least, if you are unsure of an ebay piece that you are looking at, you could always use TPF and get it authenticated, no? Definitely have a wonderful resource right here on this lovely forum! :party:

Hey girl! Wow your response was awesome! I've bought a few silver pieces since I made this thread and I've been loving them! Wearing them daily and get lots of compliments. It makes me feel good. I agree with the prices they are ridicoulous but sometimes I look for preloved items and just cant find what I'm looking for :sad: totally bums me out. I live in Toronto and checked only one consignment stores but never really found what I'm looking for. Just a question! You said below that you have the Venetian bracelet! I like it a lot but have never seen it modeled before! Do you have a pic of it on ? Or stacked ? :smile: either way thanks again for your awesome post!

Hey girl! Wow your response was awesome! I've bought a few silver pieces since I made this thread and I've been loving them! Wearing them daily and get lots of compliments. It makes me feel good. I agree with the prices they are ridicoulous but sometimes I look for preloved items and just cant find what I'm looking for :sad: totally bums me out. I live in Toronto and checked only one consignment stores but never really found what I'm looking for. Just a question! You said below that you have the Venetian bracelet! I like it a lot but have never seen it modeled before! Do you have a pic of it on ? Or stacked ? :smile: either way thanks again for your awesome post!
Hey hey...glad my post was helpful! Which pieces have you bought since you made this awesome thread? I'm so glad you've been loving your TCO silver...I can't get enough of mine, either!
I live in the same city as you, and the two places I bought my preloved silver at were 1- Haute Classics. This place is great, right at yonge & st.clair and across the street from the subway...I'm sure you could call them ahead of time, and ask if they have a certain piece of silver you want in store/price. They usually don't feature their silver on their site, but they have a pretty good selection [at least every time I've gone in].
The 2nd place is Van Rijk Jewellers, right near yonge & eglington. This place can be a little intimidating, because they have high-end jewelry and bars on the doors so you have to be buzzed in, but you can ask to see the silver Tiffany's and they'll bring it out for you...they usually have some nice bangles and pendants on hand [based on my visits].

Okay, onto the venetian...this was my favorite bracelet and I wore it daily! However, I went through a lifestyle change, lost some weight, and it became dangerously loose on my wrist, so I ended up giving it to my sis. I will ask her to send some modeling pics tonight, and hopefully she can. I would HIGHLY recommend this bracelet, as the perfect everyday piece...it's simple yet significant, and timeless. For stacking- I used to stack it with my bead bracelet, and it looked great.

Hey hey...glad my post was helpful! Which pieces have you bought since you made this awesome thread? I'm so glad you've been loving your TCO silver...I can't get enough of mine, either!
I live in the same city as you, and the two places I bought my preloved silver at were 1- Haute Classics. This place is great, right at yonge & st.clair and across the street from the subway...I'm sure you could call them ahead of time, and ask if they have a certain piece of silver you want in store/price. They usually don't feature their silver on their site, but they have a pretty good selection [at least every time I've gone in].
The 2nd place is Van Rijk Jewellers, right near yonge & eglington. This place can be a little intimidating, because they have high-end jewelry and bars on the doors so you have to be buzzed in, but you can ask to see the silver Tiffany's and they'll bring it out for you...they usually have some nice bangles and pendants on hand [based on my visits].

Okay, onto the venetian...this was my favorite bracelet and I wore it daily! However, I went through a lifestyle change, lost some weight, and it became dangerously loose on my wrist, so I ended up giving it to my sis. I will ask her to send some modeling pics tonight, and hopefully she can. I would HIGHLY recommend this bracelet, as the perfect everyday piece...it's simple yet significant, and timeless. For stacking- I used to stack it with my bead bracelet, and it looked great.

Thanks for answering! Since I made this thread I got the 10 mm bead bracelet and the 10 mm bead earrings. The 4 mm bead bracelet with the round toggle charm, and a return to tiffany cuff! It seems like alot but there have been a few holidays since then so I got a couple as presents :smile:
I'm so glad we live in the same city and you were able to recommend some places to me ! Are there any other consignment stores or locations that you can recommend or are those the only ones ? Do they also have david yurman?

I LOVE the Venetian bracelet but I'm also super in love with the T link narrow Silvet bracelet. It's $820 plus tax so it's ridicolously prices but I love how it fits... my friend said the Venetian is a great substitute but I wonder if I should just save up for the T bracelet instead...what do you think?! Are the two similar ? I know where to buy the Venetian second hand at a great price !

Thanks again, you're awesome !

When I was younger I have purchased lots of silver goodies, but as I grew older n hopefully wiser I stopped buying anything made of silver. They get darken so easily n time takes away their shine. There are people just love the way silver ages but I am not one of them. Now I only purchase gold items because I personally think they look more chic and you could really wear them for a long time.

My dad got me a bracelet in sterling silver when I was 17. All these years later I still have it but can't wear it as it is tarnished. It is engraved with a message from him so I won't let it go. Not worth the money in my opinion

I purchased a pair of 10mm ball, silver earrings on ebay. The person I purchased them from assures me they're real and even sent the receipt - which is from 10 years back. They are cute but very heavy compared to the current 10mm earrings that are the same in terms of looks at the store. I haven't taken them into the store yet but wanted to hear from others that may have an older pair - are they also heavy on you? The droop down from the weight. If they're real - I guess Tiffany makes lighter ones these days.

I purchased another piece on ebay - ring lariat necklace that I just had cleaned and Tiffany didn't say that it was fake - which is good. I try to buy from individuals (rather than businesses), with good ebay ratings, and I check the Tiffany markings as much as I can on photos. Then I take the pieces to Tiffany for authentication or cleaning. They will let you know if the piece isn't real - at least I hope they will. So far haven't had that issue.

I purchased a pair of 10mm ball, silver earrings on ebay. The person I purchased them from assures me they're real and even sent the receipt - which is from 10 years back. They are cute but very heavy compared to the current 10mm earrings that are the same in terms of looks at the store. I haven't taken them into the store yet but wanted to hear from others that may have an older pair - are they also heavy on you? The droop down from the weight. If they're real - I guess Tiffany makes lighter ones these days.

I purchased another piece on ebay - ring lariat necklace that I just had cleaned and Tiffany didn't say that it was fake - which is good. I try to buy from individuals (rather than businesses), with good ebay ratings, and I check the Tiffany markings as much as I can on photos. Then I take the pieces to Tiffany for authentication or cleaning. They will let you know if the piece isn't real - at least I hope they will. So far haven't had that issue.

Hi there !
I have a pair of 10 mm bead earrings and I wouldn't say they are heavy. I bought them pre loved and they were a couple ears old but no definitely not heavy enough to droop my ears. If you attach pics I can try and help you out ! :smile:

Great thread! IMO, I think that it is worth it for versatility reasons. I like to wear collections and it is easy to interchange sets and rotate jewelry and can do so rather inexpensively. I have some friends that wear the same diamond pendant, studs e-ring and band every single day and never change it up. So, for them, they would not think it is worth it.

In terms of resale value, I would say NO! I do not think it holds it value but would love for someone to prove me wrong. I have two sets of earrings that I tried to sell to GOG and was only offered $15 each for them.

For me, tarnishing is not a big deal since it can be cleaned. I also steam clean my silver, as needed and then polish the pieces. But, now I can take them to get cleaned for free. Yes, it is more maintenance but less the expense of buying WG and plat.

Is it worth it compared to other silver jewelry? I am not sure if I love Tiffany because of the name, service or style - maybe it is a combination? There is just something about that little blue box and bag that no other silver compares to in my eyes. So, I do not mind paying more for their silver if it is a piece I love. But, I should add that the majority of my pieces were purchased at least 10 years ago and I feel that the prices were a lot less expensive.

As I am getting older, I would like to start investing in more diamond jewels with plat or WG and my silver Tiffany would not be considered an investment.

That's really nice! I love how you look at price depending on what its worth to you. My mom is always yelling at me to buy gold because it's an investment. It always goes up in price. There is always that argument that you can buy a much heavier piece or a bigger diamond somewhere that isn't brand name. I'm always conflicted between brand name and small or local jewelers and big!

I think I am turning into that mom - lol! I recently sold a lot of gold that I haven't worn in years and received more $ than I thought. For ex, I had a name ring with small diamonds on the bottom. I cannot even remember the last time I wore it and got $100 for it. I doubt I would have gotten anything if it was silver.