Is this outfit okay for a job interview?

Depends on the industry. Even though the setting might be casual, a suit shows that you are serious about impressing them. I have interviewed new associates at the firm I work for and the interviewees go through a day of interviews and some interviewers are very old-school and expect them to be in a suit...so again, depends on the industry and who will be interviewing you.

I haven't posted in a really long time, but I honestly think that you should always wear a suit to an interview. Even if the office dress code is somewhat casual, you have to keep in mind that you don't work there yet. I'm 23, and work in business development at a large law firm, so my situation may be a bit different, but unless you're applying for a job in a very creative or relaxed field (i.e.: fashion, advertising, etc.) a rule of thumb is to wear a suit (that fits!). It shows that you're serious about the job, which they will appreciate. The outfit sounds fabulous, you'll have plenty of time to show off your fabulous wardrobe after they hire you ;) I say get a great suit (if you don't already have one) an invest in a tailor. It's worth it.

It depends what city you are in. I worked in Ernst & Young in their NYC location and they have a business casual dress code but it is more strict than their New Jersey office dress code. If you look better in that, because wearing a suit that doesn't look good on you, or looks like its still hanging on a rack ( like suits look on me cause I have a small frame) go with the skirt and turtleneck. Make sure to wear pantyhose.

I believe a suit is appropriate for an interview. I think every professional should own at least one well-fitting suit. Although it might not be necesarry on a daily basis there will be times in your career when wearing a suit is appropriate. (i.e. doing presentations, consulting with clients, etc.) That's just my two cents. Good luck on your interview!!!

IntlSet said:
Mornin' everyone!

If a corporate office has an "office casual" dress policy, is it okay to wear this to an interview or do I *have* to wear a suit?

I was thinking a fitted black cashmere turtleneck and a very tailored camel-colore Harris tweed pencil skirt and nude colored pumps... and a big Chanel totebag without logos.

It's just that I have not found a suit that fits me well. I feel schlumpy in them... I don't know, it just feels weird because I'm still only 21!

I think it's fine. Unless you're interviewing for an accounting or investment banking job, not many companies are going to hold it against you if you don't have an actual "suit". As long as you look professional, that's the key. Also, the more entry-level the position, the less expectation that you need to wear a suit.

IntlSet said:
Mornin' everyone!

If a corporate office has an "office casual" dress policy, is it okay to wear this to an interview or do I *have* to wear a suit?

I was thinking a fitted black cashmere turtleneck and a very tailored camel-colore Harris tweed pencil skirt and nude colored pumps... and a big Chanel totebag without logos.

It's just that I have not found a suit that fits me well. I feel schlumpy in them... I don't know, it just feels weird because I'm still only 21!

i say always wear a suit for an interview reguargless of their dress code. be sure to carry extra resume copies and reference letter but only give reference letters when asked for them.

i graduated from school in 2003 and went on countless interviews, though my field is healthcare, i still wore a suit and am glad i did. i had offers from everyone.

in my opinions, you should always look very professional for an interview especially for a corporate office. keep lokking for the suit, you will find one. try jcrew, ann taylor even banana republic. they are reasonable. good luck!!!!

I work in the corporate world (in finance) and have hired many people over the years. I've been in management for almost 9 years. I have to say appearance is everything and a suit always shows you've made the effort to put your best foot forward.

Your outfit sounds lovely and expensive, however, if it's a man interviewing, they won't know the difference. You want them to pay attention to what you're saying, not your clothes. However, professional is always a plus and will put you that much ahead of the next person.

If I interview two candidates who essentially interview the same, with the same skills, I'll pick the one that took the time to wear a suit.

Of course, this is in my field. I don't know what field you're pursuing.

Good luck!:smile:

I'm 20, about to graduate, and have done several job interviews. Your outfit sounds awesome but if it were me I think I'd go for the suit. IT just conveys a lot of power and professionalism. If you can't find one in time, wear that skirt outfit, but I would definitely say to soon buy a well-tailored suit that you feel good in. It'll last you a long time, the pieces can mix and match, and it is invaluable in the corporate world of amibition.
You can always find a cute suit...mine is a strange brown-grey color with faint metallic threads striped on it. It looks professional but fun (upon closer inspection).

I would say it depends on the field too. If it is in a more traditional field, finance, engineering, etc... I would by all means wear a suit, preferably dark grey pinstriped. I would bring some light by wearing a lighter colored blouse.

Suits show motivation and that you're serious about the job application process and that you have the respect for the interviewers to be properly dressed. You don't want to come across as doudy but you don't want to be far to the other side either.

There are books on this whole thing. My latest read was "How to Say It at Work". The author has all kinds of rules on how to dress for the interview, but the best advice was to dress so that you are comfortable and that it shows how you feel about yourself, but it should be also apropriate to the industry/field that you will be working in.

Good luck!

What you've described sounds great. But I concur with other posters about the need to wear a suit. It doesn't need to be matching or looks like it came straight off a clothes rack, but having a suit jacket is important.

Will it be a short interview or an extended interview (having a meal with the interviewer)? If it's an extended interview, I'd put on the suit jacket during the desk-interview, and then take it off when you're having the meal-interview. To me, it conveys that you can be both professional and personable, which is important to almost all employers.

Again, it depends on the field. Some are more conservative than others...the more conversative it is, the more restrictive your color choices tend to be. Good luck!! ;)