Is there anything about a bag that would make it a "deal-breaker" (besides price)?

reigo

Jul 18, 2009
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Is there any feature about a bag that would make it a deal breaker for you other than price, obviously some bags are outside our comfort zone on price and thus prohibitive. Price not being an issue, is there something that is a deal breaker- for example you LOVE the look of the bag but...

size- too large or too small
weight- too heavy
material- too delicate or impractical (e.g. scarf satin, suede, etc.)
color- don't like or need the color it comes in
hardware
strap drop length- too short, uncomfortable

For me, 2 bags come to mind that I loved the look but just didn't care for features enough to not get them- 1 was the Mandy. I love the look of that bag but found the shoulder strap too wide and it would slip off my arm. The other was the Gigi- it was just too heavy, specially with what I carry. The only other thing that will prevent my from getting a bag can be the size but usually a bag comes in multiple sizes so there will be one I like.

What about you?

B-Town

Mar 27, 2009
WA
I have several, but the first one that comes to mind is rolled straps. Those are just really uncomfortable to me. Another is width. I carry shoulder bags only, and if a bag is too wide, then it feels like it makes my arm stick out (like the little kid in A Christmas Story when he's all dressed up to go out in the snow and can't move his arms because he's too bundled up). I guess an obvious and more general third deal-breaker I have is that it has to be a shoulder bag. I also don't like extra straps on bags. For example, I have a Parker Hippie, but I took the crossbody strap off and only use the shoulder strap. I went to WSU, so I will never buy anything that's purple and has gold hardware, since those are the colors of the UW, my alma mater's rival.

mema08

O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
too heavy, no outside pockets, too big, too short a drop. must be leather. i have a lot of requirements lol

Cate14

I Need More Cowbell
O.G.
Jan 26, 2008
I carry a lot of stuff, so smaller bags are generally deal breakers for me. A big "test" for me is whether or not the bag is large enough to hold my wallet, phone, filofax, and a couple of books.

paula3boys

O.G.
Sep 16, 2008
my house
I love the look of the Gigi, but found it was just too big and heavy for me so I returned the one I bought.

I need something I can carry on my shoulder, prefer leather, and don't want something that is too large or too small.

Apr 19, 2009
Bags being too large has been an ongoing problem lol. When I see them online, I always picture them much smaller than they really are.

danimeex

Danielle
O.G.
Jul 16, 2009
NJ
I can get a little crazy about drop length with bigger bags. It's REALLY important to me! If I'm grabbing the straps with my palm facing up, it needs to clear my elbow so I can put it up on my shoulder. I hope I'm explaining that right!

If it gets stuck, it drives me crazy and I usually wind up selling it on eBay in a month.

oopsididitagain

»â”€â”€â™¥â”€â”€>
O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Too heavy (exception is Gigi, I like her), too bulky (reason I passed on a Peyton), I prefer bags with metal feet, I have passed on a few that didn't have feet, I pass on all satchels cuz I gotta put bags on my shoulders. Too small of a bag I pass up no matter how cute unless it's supposed to be small like an evening clutch.

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
NC
Too heavy is a huge thing with me. It also has to open on the top in most cases. I don't like "flaps". On a very rare occasion I will buy a bag that I love with a flap type of opening but generally not. I also like bags which are more stuctured and if they sag or as most lovingly refer to as "slouch" I won't buy it. Top "slouch" is ok but not bottom sag!

Natty2Bratty

Jul 22, 2009
Florida
How a bag hangs on my shoulder is how I judge almost every bag I buy, or don't buy! If it's too short, too long, uncomfortable, or (my biggest pet peve) slips off... that is an absolute deal breaker for me!

puckettk

Apr 11, 2009
I need my bags to have compartments. I am guilty of carrying way too much so I need bags with more than just the interior cellphone compartment.

Apr 28, 2008
Usually the one deal breaker (whatever it is - not so pretty lining, drop length, etc) flies out the window when I can get the bag for like 75% off MSRP at the outlet!

reigo

Jul 18, 2009
Ft Lauderdale, FL
I guess I should also add to my own deal breaker comment that my list of deal-breakers has increased with my collection. Now that I own around 22 coach bags (and 4 smaller older ones), things like color may also be a deal breaker b/c I may already own too many bags in a specific color or already have a bag in a specific color. For example, I love my Legacy tote in gray so I highly doubt I will buy another gray bag anytime soon. I also own 3 black bags (large sabrina, legacy leigh leather, and the carly slim in leather) so I am way more selective with black bags- it would need to be a totally unique perfect weight/size/style bag for me to consider another black bag.

Oh, and now that I have a baby, I am a little more selective on fabric- just don't think I could handle owning anything in that delicate scarf satin fabric and living in south florida, I really don't do suede. Too rainy and warm year-round for a bag I associate with cold weather (unless the suede is just on a small portion like my factory tote).