Is there anything about a bag that would make it a "deal-breaker" (besides price)?

reigo

Jul 18, 2009
Is there any feature about a bag that would make it a deal breaker for you other than price, obviously some bags are outside our comfort zone on price and thus prohibitive. Price not being an issue, is there something that is a deal breaker- for example you LOVE the look of the bag but...

size- too large or too small
weight- too heavy
material- too delicate or impractical (e.g. scarf satin, suede, etc.)
color- don't like or need the color it comes in
hardware
strap drop length- too short, uncomfortable

For me, 2 bags come to mind that I loved the look but just didn't care for features enough to not get them- 1 was the Mandy. I love the look of that bag but found the shoulder strap too wide and it would slip off my arm. The other was the Gigi- it was just too heavy, specially with what I carry. The only other thing that will prevent my from getting a bag can be the size but usually a bag comes in multiple sizes so there will be one I like.

What about you?

I have several, but the first one that comes to mind is rolled straps. Those are just really uncomfortable to me. Another is width. I carry shoulder bags only, and if a bag is too wide, then it feels like it makes my arm stick out (like the little kid in A Christmas Story when he's all dressed up to go out in the snow and can't move his arms because he's too bundled up). I guess an obvious and more general third deal-breaker I have is that it has to be a shoulder bag. I also don't like extra straps on bags. For example, I have a Parker Hippie, but I took the crossbody strap off and only use the shoulder strap. I went to WSU, so I will never buy anything that's purple and has gold hardware, since those are the colors of the UW, my alma mater's rival.

I carry a lot of stuff, so smaller bags are generally deal breakers for me. A big "test" for me is whether or not the bag is large enough to hold my wallet, phone, filofax, and a couple of books.

I love the look of the Gigi, but found it was just too big and heavy for me so I returned the one I bought.

I need something I can carry on my shoulder, prefer leather, and don't want something that is too large or too small.

I can get a little crazy about drop length with bigger bags. It's REALLY important to me! If I'm grabbing the straps with my palm facing up, it needs to clear my elbow so I can put it up on my shoulder. I hope I'm explaining that right!

If it gets stuck, it drives me crazy and I usually wind up selling it on eBay in a month.

Too heavy (exception is Gigi, I like her), too bulky (reason I passed on a Peyton), I prefer bags with metal feet, I have passed on a few that didn't have feet, I pass on all satchels cuz I gotta put bags on my shoulders. Too small of a bag I pass up no matter how cute unless it's supposed to be small like an evening clutch.

Too heavy is a huge thing with me. It also has to open on the top in most cases. I don't like "flaps". On a very rare occasion I will buy a bag that I love with a flap type of opening but generally not. I also like bags which are more stuctured and if they sag or as most lovingly refer to as "slouch" I won't buy it. Top "slouch" is ok but not bottom sag!

How a bag hangs on my shoulder is how I judge almost every bag I buy, or don't buy! If it's too short, too long, uncomfortable, or (my biggest pet peve) slips off... that is an absolute deal breaker for me!

Usually the one deal breaker (whatever it is - not so pretty lining, drop length, etc) flies out the window when I can get the bag for like 75% off MSRP at the outlet!

I guess I should also add to my own deal breaker comment that my list of deal-breakers has increased with my collection. Now that I own around 22 coach bags (and 4 smaller older ones), things like color may also be a deal breaker b/c I may already own too many bags in a specific color or already have a bag in a specific color. For example, I love my Legacy tote in gray so I highly doubt I will buy another gray bag anytime soon. I also own 3 black bags (large sabrina, legacy leigh leather, and the carly slim in leather) so I am way more selective with black bags- it would need to be a totally unique perfect weight/size/style bag for me to consider another black bag.

Oh, and now that I have a baby, I am a little more selective on fabric- just don't think I could handle owning anything in that delicate scarf satin fabric and living in south florida, I really don't do suede. Too rainy and warm year-round for a bag I associate with cold weather (unless the suede is just on a small portion like my factory tote).