Scarves Is there a scarf slump?

Thank you AnnaE, I'm certainly in no hurry, and will look patiently until one turns up and the timing is right.

Wellllllll, I actually bought the Coup de Fouet that a kind poster linked to earlier in this thread. I fell in love with it and felt the final price allowed for it having been worn a bit. I'm excited to receive it. Thank you to the original poster! I'm not sure it's a true example of a "slump" given that it was used after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you AnnaE, I'm certainly in no hurry, and will look patiently until one turns up and the timing is right.

Wellllllll, I actually bought the Coup de Fouet that a kind poster linked to earlier in this thread. I fell in love with it and felt the final price allowed for it having been worn a bit. I'm excited to receive it. Thank you to the original poster! I'm not sure it's a true example of a "slump" given that it was used after all.

Pirula, I guarantee that you will fall in love with your new CdF ~ I have two of the 140cm silks and adore them! Congrats!!! :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually thinking about bidding on this one.....but the color way put me off as it's too bland and drab. I think, to be honest, this color way is why it went for the price it did. No other reason.

So in summary, the low buying prices of some scarves mentioned above are not really attributed to a slump but a factor of 1) desirability of design 2) colorway. .some colors are difficult to wear and aren't as popular as others 3) condition of scarf. .stains, holes, pulls 4)seller reputation

But I think it is a buyer's market out there..nice designs with good condition (no stains or noticeable defects ) are sold below what they would have priced a year or so ago. However, grails still get bought above retail if in the right condition and colors. I understand that the definition of grail varies per person . Chestnutty does provide a good explanation of demand vs inventory and the effect of the Euro USD exchange

It was interesting to read the comments in this thread I started 4 years ago! I think we're in another scarf slump, particularly for 90s. Some eBay sellers list very high and don't move their stuff. When something sells at auction it's disappointingly low. Any thoughts?

I think this may partly be due to selling/buying on ebay as a platform, as there are many alternatives nowadays.
I do not think people buy high end items via ebay as often as they used to do. I certainly have stopped buying items more than £100 on ebay as there are too many scams.

Also I do not think H scarfs are selling well even from stores nowadays when compared to say 5 to 10 years ago. They are just not as popular.

I have recently been viewing the real real website and in general the scarf prices are below retail, and in particular below most eBay prices. I have yet to buy any scarves from the real real, but wonder if that is a factor.
Thanks for this info. I don't regularly check TRR, but will start. Yesterday I looked at Tradesey because I got a promotional email, and I found the scarf prices quite high (and many things incorrectly labelled). Maybe *I* have been in an eBay slump, LOLOL!

Reactions: Julide
I think this may partly be due to selling/buying on ebay as a platform, as there are many alternatives nowadays.
I do not think people buy high end items via ebay as often as they used to do. I certainly have stopped buying items more than £100 on ebay as there are too many scams.

Also I do not think H scarfs are selling well even from stores nowadays when compared to say 5 to 10 years ago. They are just not as popular.
I think you are right about the fading of popularity.

I think there are lots of accessories to wear and scarves are always a bit 'of a certain age'....mine! For 15 years!

I think fast fashion do lovely low quality scarves and the millenials won't focus on H as a brand so much...dunno just mho.

Self labeled 'scarfie'

Interesting to see this thread revived. I think in 2019 Hermes has much more product on their website so scarves are much easier to buy than in 2015

I just bought my first preloved scarf earlier this year from TRR and while buyer beware it was a great experience... makes me hesitate to pay full price at the boutique ... not to mention the huge selection of scarves at recent 2019 sample sale vs almost nothing at the last sale I went to in 2010 or so ....but there will always be some must haves that I want right away

Hi,
Please scrutinize carefully as I have had bought three scarves from TRR which were faked and since then I told myself 'forget it as it is too much a hassle'.

I have recently been viewing the real real website and in general the scarf prices are below retail, and in particular below most eBay prices. I have yet to buy any scarves from the real real, but wonder if that is a factor.

The prices at TRR have seemed low to me lately. I hesitate to buy from them because they show so few pictures-often just one full scarf shot, one corner, and a shot on a mannequin. Maybe their prices have to be low to entice people to take a chance on a "pig in a poke" For those of you who are not native English speakers,:

The English colloquialisms such as turn out to be a pig in a poke or buy a pig in a poke mean that something is sold or bought without the buyer knowing its true nature or value, especially when buying without inspecting the item beforehand.

I did buy a very pretty shade of blue Coupons Indeins gavroche from them recently. It had the original paper tag on it and was a decent price. When it arrived, the color was much more teal and nothing like the pictures. Yes many sellers say it may look a different color on your monitor, but nothing I have ever purchased has been off this much. I returned it. I think I am not the only person to have bought that silk and returned. I originally saw it, then it was gone, then it was back.

Given that it is hard to know what you are getting from TRR, one has to be prepared to return the item. At least they take returns on silks and give you your money back.. That is not their policy on bags. I don't know if their current prices are a slump or if they have always been lower than ebay. If they had one of my grails at a good price, I would snap it up and return it if necessary. I would say TRR has a "risk" discount.

The prices at TRR have seemed low to me lately. I hesitate to buy from them because they show so few pictures-often just one full scarf shot, one corner, and a shot on a mannequin. Maybe their prices have to be low to entice people to take a chance on a "pig in a poke" For those of you who are not native English speakers,:

The English colloquialisms such as turn out to be a pig in a poke or buy a pig in a poke mean that something is sold or bought without the buyer knowing its true nature or value, especially when buying without inspecting the item beforehand.

I did buy a very pretty shade of blue Coupons Indeins gavroche from them recently. It had the original paper tag on it and was a decent price. When it arrived, the color was much more teal and nothing like the pictures. Yes many sellers say it may look a different color on your monitor, but nothing I have ever purchased has been off this much. I returned it. I think I am not the only person to have bought that silk and returned. I originally saw it, then it was gone, then it was back.

Given that it is hard to know what you are getting from TRR, one has to be prepared to return the item. At least they take returns on silks and give you your money back.. That is not their policy on bags. I don't know if their current prices are a slump or if they have always been lower than ebay. If they had one of my grails at a good price, I would snap it up and return it if necessary. I would say TRR has a "risk" discount.

For sure. :yes: