Is the Hermes "Birkin" worth the money and the wait? Is it obtainable?

I have the Birkin in Gold in the 35cm i love it the leather cannot be compared to any other designer bag i own and the reason they are so expensive is because they are completely made by hand each one has the craftsman ID on it. They are a life times handbag not a fun designer bag like the paddy or the spy which are also very expensive. I live in London and all the waiting lists are indefinitely closed i only got mind because i know somebody who works for them.

I truly don't believe ANY handbag, pair of shoes, etc. is ever worth thousands..however if I had UNLIMITED resources and wanted one, I would get one.
If you are independently wealthy then you can buy whatever you want regardless of the price.
If not, IMHO, it would be pretty silly to spend money like that on a handbag...

BUT, that's just me.....I am sure others feel different about it.

If it's the "look" you are after, there are tons of bags modeled after the Birkin. But if it is the status, the Birkin is the way to go. I would go for a black bag or dark brown...something timeless. This is not a trendy bag, this is a classic BIG investment item and you want to be able to carry it forever. Since Oprah won't do business with them anymore, maybe you can get one of her bags. Then again, that is a LOT of money to spend on a bag. For me, anyway.

I think like any investment, you should go for a classic. For those of you who think it's too much $$$ well, I guess if it was cheap then no one would covet it. I personally love the bag and I hope some day to get the CROC black kelly bag. There are a few classic pieces you could own, Diamond earrings, a good watch, a beautiful pair of sexy shoes, and a classic kelly hand bag.:biggrin:

Birkin is the modern Kelly and I say go for Kelly!!!:smile: :nuts:

I really do like the quality of their purses. If you really think about it, say on average a birkin in regular leather is about $7000, divided by 18 hours on manual labor to produce, that equates to an average of $388 per hour; versus, say a another maker of high quality leather bags that are machine sewn...say Chanel...it averages $2000 per bag, but it only took 1 hours to produce...that's $2000 per hour.

It's the initial sticker price that is shocking. I rather have an Hermes and forgoe buying other a bunch of other brands for a period of time, which would have totalled to be more that $7000 at $1500-$2000 a pop.

Reactions: hwick
One thing that I don't understand is how much the prices have been increasing. It beats inflation and the devaluing of the US dollar.
I'm most shocked by LV's. I have purses bought a couple years ago and they have now increased by 40%...for treated canvas???

I know, happy. I still like LV but I'm not buying anymore. When I started collecting, a Cabas Piano was $590! And my Epi Alma was only $695! Now, that bag is around 1K, 3 years later!
To me, Hermes will always be worth it although I hope to get a few bags soon before it gets too much worse.