Is the Birkin passe?

I don't even like the BV bags. I know they're well made, but what's up with all those metallicky colors. Plus, I can only take so much basket weaving......If I want a basket, I'll buy one. Come to think of it, Hermes makes great baskets and I've been looking to buy one. That's the new "it" bag for me this summer. I want one of those great Hermes baskets. And when I'm not carrying my cute H basket, I plan to lug around my BIG BEAUTIFUL WHITE BIRKIN!...... even to the beach, yeah baby....

Thanks for the article, golconda. I am thankful for all the bags that I own. As for the birkin going passe, am not too sure about that. Though, I do notice that I tend to pick up my lindy, kellys and canoes when I go out these days. And there is no way that I will part with my birkins... ever!

*I think* I can see where the author of the article is coming from: with all the VBs and LiLos buying and parading their H bags by the dozens makes people, who've been true fans of the brand for ages, cringe.

I don't think that quality, well made products that have integrity in their history and design will EVER go out of style. IMO it's sort of like saying that a Mercedes is not a good automobile.

Birkins and Kellys are such iconic styles at Hermes. They may come in and out of street fashion, but seriously, they're so classic. Even if the press and celebrities dim the lights on these bags, they're bound to come back time and time again. Just look at the retail prices, they're at an all time high. High, in terms of historical prices, and high amongst competition as well.

I plan to pass on my collection to my daughters. I wouldn't bother if I consider them passe.

I feel the same as you luv2shophandbag. I wish that the spotlight would shine on another bag. I have spent the last five minutes trying to put in words how I feel about it. It is so difficult!!!! I love the idea of everything Hermes;but I do feel so obvious sometimes. And I feel the guilt of spending SO much on something SO frivolous,in the big picture of life.
Then I try to remember that this forum is all about shallow obsessing. I guess my problem is about trying to embrace the shallow! LOL

*I think* I can see where the author of the article is coming from: with all the VBs and LiLos buying and parading their H bags by the dozens makes people, who've been true fans of the brand for ages, cringe.

I agree with that. That's the sort of thing that encourages fakes, too, when everyone wants to like like LiLo or VB. Perhaps they'll turn their attentions toward Bottega Veneta soon!

The Birkin is too classic to be literally passe. I agree with what Merika said, sure, the people who only want one because IT'S A BIRKIN! will come and go and move on to other trends. For those that love the brand, they know the Birkin is NOT part of an IT bag trend. It is a classic. These are bags that get passed down to the next generation. The Birkin, Kelly, Bolide, etc. are all timeless pieces that will be enjoyed for generations to come.

I love Bottega for it's workmanship, anonymity and blithe indifference to what constitutes an 'IT' bag. But in all honesty, I can't carry one off. I tried the Cabat, in the largest size, on a recent trip to Bangkok. It made me look like the bag - hobo and slouchy.

I love many brands for many different reasons. LV because it can be abused. Prada, for work and traveling(and also because my bosses would freak out and never give me a raise ever again). But I always go back to H. If the Birkin is passe, I would be overjoyed. Call me selfish, but if it's passe, there'd be a lot less people carrying it. Better passe than common.

yes, yes!!!! The birkin is soooooo passé! :runs off to Madison: :0)
I'm one of the gals to wish it would simmer down some. More for the rest of us! I'm just totally thankful for the ones I've got, as s'mom said.
I'll be using and enjoying these babies until I'm very "vintage". :0)

I love Bottega for it's workmanship, anonymity and blithe indifference to what constitutes an 'IT' bag. But in all honesty, I can't carry one off. I tried the Cabat, in the largest size, on a recent trip to Bangkok. It made me look like the bag - hobo and slouchy.

I love many brands for many different reasons. LV because it can be abused. Prada, for work and traveling(and also because my bosses would freak out and never give me a raise ever again). But I always go back to H. If the Birkin is passe, I would be overjoyed. Call me selfish, but if it's passe, there'd be a lot less people carrying it. Better passe than common.

Nicely said --each brand has its niche. some go up and down in trendiness and popularity. Is Cartier Passe?; Gucci, Tiffany, VCA, Bulgari...........there hotness may dip a bit but i dont think passe really applies to these brands