Is that bag from target?

only my bf right now knows the true price of my balenciagas. He understands though that my two obsessions are handbags and jeans. I haven't told my friends yet, since they think anymore than $60 is a lot for a bag. Some of my friends prefer to buy designer-inspired or even fake bags and think would think that my purchases are frivolous. My parents did see my steel day the other day and asked how much it was. I diminished the value to $265 on sale and their jaws still dropped. I think I'll just keep the price to myself from now on.

I hate people who call others superficial or shallow or silly to spend $$$$ on handbags... I mean... what about all the people... well boys anyway... who spend $$$$$$ on stereos and hi-fi equipment or other electronics like games etc etc... I think we're all entitled to spend OUR own money the way we like it... and if we go broke funding our Bbag addictions... thats OUR problem KWIM:P??? wait... am I going OT here? :confused1:

Amen! I think everyone has a "thing" like that, that given the chance, they would throw down thousands of dollars for. While I love my uncle and he didn't give me a hard time or anything, I took him to Nordstroms because he wanted to know what was considered "designer jeans." I showed him the ropes and also steered him towards handbags and showed him one I have (a Marc Jacobs, but nonetheless), and he was shocked it cost $1095.

I put it this way: "You love cars, I love handbags." He understood, kind of, I think. He buys and sells cars constantly but he wouldn't pay more than $30 for a pair of jeans.

Regarding the larger situation, I have two geographical groups. My college people in St. Louis, I can discuss handbag prices with them. I went to a university that costs about $40,000 a year (and rising) in total, and where half the student body has no financial aid. In fact, I turned some friends on to Balenciaga.
In Indiana, where I am from and live here again, I would never EVER discuss Balenciaga prices with Average Joe on the street or even many of my friends/family. Here even fake Vera Bradley is prevalent. I don't feel guilty, I mean, I don't have a car or a house, and I got my bags as gifts for myself for graduating, but people here just would not get it. My dad's head would explode, I think. He doesn't understand the concept of not buying things that aren't on sale.

Ya, well, the other day my husband and I were in his car (a bit messy) and when I got out I noticed something gummy stuck to the bottom of my bbag. I didn't freak, it was the black City and I would get it off (and I did, no problem). He jokingly said, oh the value of your bag just diminished $500, didn't it. I didn't say anything but then I had to wonder: did he say that because he really knows the cost or was he being sarcastic?? He's clueless as far as I'm concerned (and it's better that way) but then again he knows I like pricey stuff so.....

couturefemme, i can totally relate to having two sets of people...one who understands your various obsessions and one who probably would never understand so you don't really talk about them.

i have a group of gal friends who share the same obsessions i do (bling n'bags!) and i love getting together with them sometimes and doing the shopping/drooling thing. i also have a lot of people in my life who would never dream of spending that much on bags or clothes.

when i got my first bbag i was really low-key with it for most people because i just felt uncomfortable with people knowing how much it cost. i'll probably do the same with my next one!

I only discuss the real cost of my bags with the friends also know and love handbags. For other friends who have no clue, I stay very low key. If they asked me its cost, I ususally told them it was about $100. I didn't mean to lie. I just didn't want shock them since they would never understand...

Yes, I am always a little embarrased to say what my Bbags cost. A fellow Bbag admirer wouldn't need to ask the cost. I could never ask how much an item cost :wtf:

i dont discuss how much my bbag costs either... my DH knows bec he got me my first one for a wedding gift :tup:...i know, very unconventional! but he knew i wanted to have one so he got me one (i guess he didnt realize he would be unleashing this bbag monster :graucho:

going back.. my friends dont know how much it costs though, only that its expensive... i wouldnt lie though and tell them its only $100, bec then they would all go "can you get me one too??!!" and then i'd be busted. i usually just smile when people ask how much it is

sometimes i feel guilty buying these expensive bags, but then they really do make me happy! my DH gets it, so its ok with him as long as i dont get too out of control

its so good talking to you guys about this, only tpfers can really understand our thing with bags :yes:

my friends know how much my bags cost.. now.. only because i was on my friends boat and one of the girls THREW my Ink City on to the sofa and i SCREECHED and started yelling that it was a $1000 bag!!! They all look so shocked!! Oh well, i dont care!! I'd HATE it if someone thought my bag was from Target/Topshop etc :wtf:

It's not fair of people to judge--like many here have said already, we work hard for our money, and most of us probably also pay plenty of taxes and donate to charities on top of that. We are also human beings, and can indulge ourselves in things that we enjoy--and have our own priorities--just like everyone else!

I wouldn't pay $2000+ to go to Vegas and party for a weekend, but plenty of people who "would never pay over $50 for a wallet!" wouldn't think twice about doing something like that.

When anyone who isn't a bag maniac like myself asks me about my bags, I just stay in the gray area--"Oh, no...I didn't get it at Target; I picked it up at Bloomie's a while back...how much did I pay? Probably TOO much!" (said with a smile).

Between us TPF-ers, though...it's soooo tacky to ask how much someone paid for a bag (unless, of course, you're a fellow bag lover and want to see if you can afford one, too!) :smile:

When anyone who isn't a bag maniac like myself asks me about my bags, I just stay in the gray area--"Oh, no...I didn't get it at Target; I picked it up at Bloomie's a while back...how much did I pay? Probably TOO much!" (said with a smile).

I like this response too. I continue to think that it's frankly just kind of rude for people to ask, but I realise that most of them don't mean any harm by it. This is a great ambiguous answer.

I've also taken to telling my DH that all of my bags are "just something I bought on ebay", which is usually true, and then he just assumes I got a great deal, which is sometimes true, though the "great deal" dollar signs going through his head are surely much smaller than what I would consider to be a great deal!! For example, the first time he noticed my Prada antic lock bag, I was put on the spot and blurted out that I got it on ebay (true) for $85 (waaaay not true- where did that number come from??). He was like "EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLARS"??? [eyes bugging out of head]. Then I reminded him that my eyes bugged out my head when I found out how much the television cost. Granted, he only bought one. But hey, I'd like to see him re-sell the TV a couple years from now for close to its retail value!! If you look at it that way, a bbag habit is actually quite sensible!!:smile: