Is it wrong to ask for a reference after 2 days?

I'm sorry if i come across like that izabet, but I honestly dont know what I am going to do, so what do you think i have decided lol? I seems like a really good oportunity and i shouldnt miss out on the chance for it, but i dont know how well it will go down if i do ask for one.!? I'm very knew to the whole office environment (im not even an adult yet for crying out loud) I mean i do get and evaluation through it (and i cannot imagine them writing somthing negative unless i do make mistakes and then i would deserve the comments) I guess the evaluation gives concreate evidence that i really did attend it an d that still is huge its just not a refrence

if standard australian resume writing is similar to that in america, you can still list that you worked with them for a few days (here, we call that an externship) without listing them as someone that should be contacted for information about your work habits, character, or ability.

and i highly, highly doubt that any credible college would admit you just because you worked someplace for a few days. your friend may assume that's why he or she was admitted, but that doesn't mean it's the case. if schools there are like schools here, they don't tell you why you're admitted, they just admit you. two days work at any company, even a powerful and respected one, says basically nothing about someone.

if standard australian resume writing is similar to that in america, you can still list that you worked with them for a few days (here, we call that an externship) without listing them as someone that should be contacted for information about your work habits, character, or ability.

and i highly, highly doubt that any credible college would admit you just because you worked someplace for a few days. your friend may assume that's why he or she was admitted, but that doesn't mean it's the case. if schools there are like schools here, they don't tell you why you're admitted, they just admit you. two days work at any company, even a powerful and respected one, says basically nothing about someone.

I agree. There is NO WAY a CREDIBLE college/university would admit someone based on a couple of days of sweeping/coffee making experience. That's laughable. Listing a ref like that would just be a sign of desperation to the person who reviews the application.

I'm sorry if i come across like that izabet, but I honestly dont know what I am going to do, so what do you think i have decided lol? I seems like a really good oportunity and i shouldnt miss out on the chance for it, but i dont know how well it will go down if i do ask for one.!? I'm very knew to the whole office environment (im not even an adult yet for crying out loud) I mean i do get and evaluation through it (and i cannot imagine them writing somthing negative unless i do make mistakes and then i would deserve the comments) I guess the evaluation gives concreate evidence that i really did attend it an d that still is huge its just not a refrence

There's just no way two days is going to impress anyone. Anyone with half a brain can do well for two days. What can they actually say about you after two days, "Showed up on time? Was a nice person." It's not going to say anything about your skill set or your potential in the field. Even if they do agree (which I doubt), the reference is more than likely going to be so generic that the admissions people won't look twice at it, simply because it takes time to get to know someone's potential.

If you're dead set on using these two days as proof of something, I'd simply bring it up in an interview-saying something like "I did a two day project for X company, and while I was there I learned..." Save a copy of your evaluation in case a school wants to see it.

To be honest, I feel that asking for a reference after 2 days could have a negative effect on your applications. Big names are nice, I won't deny that, *but* a long standing relationship with an employer or teacher is going to matter so much more. I would worry that the admissions people are going to think, "Doesn't Manolo have any real references? The best he could come up with was someone he worked for for two days."

naughtymanolo, I have to say that if I were you, I would focus much, much more on your resume and application than listing this reference. If I was employing somebody now, like it or not, I would look at the resume and also at the grammar and spelling too. Focus on getting this right, not on a couple of days of menial work at a company (however prestigious). On each of your emails, your typing has been quite bad. It is honestly not a criticism, just a friendly warning of what companies really are looking for. Use your spellcheck each time, it really will help you :yes: Literacy is so important, whatever you decide to do with your education.

naughtymanolo, I have to say that if I were you, I would focus much, much more on your resume and application than listing this reference. If I was employing somebody now, like it or not, I would look at the resume and also at the grammar and spelling too. Focus on getting this right, not on a couple of days of menial work at a company (however prestigious). On each of your emails, your typing has been quite bad. It is honestly not a criticism, just a friendly warning of what companies really are looking for. Use your spellcheck each time, it really will help you :yes: Literacy is so important, whatever you decide to do with your education.
:yes:

oh I'm not saying that this will make or break my chances anywhere, I understand that what I am doing has no real relevance to the field i wish to get into, (about the literacy, most are typos but i do have BAD spelling, thank god i can use spell check for important things, i dont spell check my posts becuase I dont feel they are that important) And btw the college that my friend got into (i used to want to go to) was expossed in an article to be money driven and awarding unfair admissions or somthing like that so since then it has lost its great name and I dont wish to go there anyway, I mean im not prepared to pay huge private college fees if it isnt going to have a good name. I guess you guys are right as much as I would love a rerence from the company it could leave a bad image from me and i certainly want to come back so I guess the evaluation will be nice i mean its better than nothing