Is it real? That dreaded question...

this question has to be the highest level of rudeness in our society. I have had to learn to get over the shock so that I can give a stinging response. I often just stare at them & walk away. sometimes I ask them if they really think that question is appropriate. my mom taught me to say "why do you ask?" in response to any question that you don't want to answer.

from now on, I'm going to quote aussiegal...best response I've heard.
Question - Is that real ??
Answer - Nah, its just an illusion.

I have no idea what people are thinking. I've had strangers, aquaintances, & friends ask...I would only discuss with sisters & closest friends. and not always even those girls.

I think asking if one's jewelry is real ranks right up there with asking them how old they are or how much money they make or if they've had plastic surgery.

I encounter this at my jewelry store from time to time. People will remark on what I am wearing and ask if it's mine or if I am 'borrowing" it from the store and then they sometimes ask if it's real or ask WHAT it is (If it's an unusual item). I give people a little extra leeway in these situations given the circumstances. But even then, I dislike it. I find it to be crossing a boundary.

I never ask 'is it real'? I either remark on how much I like something someone is wearing or I say nothing.

Nobody ever asked me about jewelry or bags, but here is a funny story: I had a co-worker who was wearing a huge rock on her ring finger, I mean, it was like 10 ct stone or something, like a museum piece, and I was 100% sure it's costume jewelry, (of course I never asked)...until one day we chatted and turned out it was a real diamond e-ring from her then fiancee, now husband....LOL!!:lol:

By the same token, I often notice that I get way more compliments for my smaller diamond jewelry, because I figured, everyone just assumes bigger ones are fake!!:P

I think asking if one's jewelry is real ranks right up there with asking them how old they are or how much money they make or if they've had plastic surgery.

I encounter this at my jewelry store from time to time. People will remark on what I am wearing and ask if it's mine or if I am 'borrowing" it from the store and then they sometimes ask if it's real or ask WHAT it is (If it's an unusual item). I give people a little extra leeway in these situations given the circumstances. But even then, I dislike it. I find it to be crossing a boundary.

I never ask 'is it real'? I either remark on how much I like something someone is wearing or I say nothing.

OMG. Your story doesn't surprise me though! I have a nice looking watch, but it definitely looks more expensive than it actually was (just the Michael Kors' JetSet watch in ivory) and I actually had a customer ask if I bought the watch myself or if my father bought it for me!

Actually, I get a lot of comments from people asking if I take home any pay or if I buy my own clothes. :roflmfao: I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

Nobody ever asked me about jewelry or bags, but here is a funny story: I had a co-worker who was wearing a huge rock on her ring finger, I mean, it was like 10 ct stone or something, like a museum piece, and I was 100% sure it's costume jewelry, (of course I never asked)...until one day we chatted and turned out it was a real diamond e-ring from her then fiancee, now husband....LOL!!:lol:

By the same token, I often notice that I get way more compliments for my smaller diamond jewelry, because I figured, everyone just assumes bigger ones are fake!!:P

Lol! I would have asked what her fiance did for a living. :graucho: If he was a mechanic versus a hedge fund manager, that would make all the difference in my personal evaluation of her super bling on steroids.

OMG. Your story doesn't surprise me though! I have a nice looking watch, but it definitely looks more expensive than it actually was (just the Michael Kors' JetSet watch in ivory) and I actually had a customer ask if I bought the watch myself or if my father bought it for me!

Actually, I get a lot of comments from people asking if I take home any pay or if I buy my own clothes. :roflmfao: I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

Wow, that's so rude. :wtf: Way to assume a person's expenses versus their income.

rude! i have never been asked but frankly i do not care what anyone thinks in fact most of my pieces are almost comic-ally huge or unusual that most people assume it is costume and i like it that way becasue in the end it is none of their business they either like it or not !(i never understood how the "realness" of a piece could change perception )

I have a diamond tennis bracelet but no one has ever asked if it's real, just that it is gorgeous. BUT

a few months ago I was in a Borders store preparing to check out. The associate complimented me on a ring I was wearing on my left hand. It was a 1.5 carat simulated diamond. She complimented me, and because it has a lot of fire and is platinum plated, I said that is was a simulant. She became very upset with me for saying that. She said I should just have said "thank you".

I didn't want anyone to think I had "oodles" of money (I was not wearing the bracelet that day). Since then, if there are compliments on the ring, I say "thank you" and smile.

I used to get it a lot. Likely because I dig the whole diamonds and jeans look, and I did the whole urban rock look most of the time. I liked the different clashing styles.

I tried not to get offended but people actually pushed like "you sure?" Yeah, I'm sure, but I'm not gonna argue it with you so I'd shrug it off. I kinda evolved a little bit after that and my bags/ belts/ shoes and tops grew up a little, and people stopped asking so much. Go figure :P