Is it offensive to sell an item received as a gift?

yayaisnan

Dec 25, 2020
About 4 years ago my mom bought me the small white love. I had always always wanted the classic regular, but I know the small was in her price range more, and she always said I should get the classic for myself as a gift for achieving something, or when married etc. I really wanted to return it and fund the difference of the regular myself, but I felt way too awful. I knew she had saved for me and I didn't want to offend her. I recently purchased myself a classic love, and I don't like stacking. I want to sell it, and maybe use the funds to buy my mom her own Love, but i don't know if this is rude and if i would regret it. I feel later in life i'll appreciate having it, but I don't gravitate towards it now :sad: Anyone have similar experience

I personally wouldn't sell it, if I didn't love it at the moment I would keep for future use or even gift it to a child or nephew/niece (when they are older). I am sentimental about jewelry though.
If I were in your position and I definitely wanted to sell, I would talk to my Mom and get her thoughts/feelings about it. :heart:

Only you know your mom well enough to see if she would be offended. Personally, I probably would feel offended if I gifted someone a piece of jewelry and it was resold without telling me... usually I purchase with a gift receipt and explicitly mentioned to the recipient that they are welcome to exchange it for something that’s more their taste.

If you feel like you can’t bring up the topic with her, I would keep the small Love and stack it with the regular one.

I understand your feeling though, I think your mom will understand your care. Personally I sell anything that I don't wear even if that's e special gift, either handbags or jewelries because I believe those are just materials at the end of the day and meant to be used and enjoy daily. I think your mom will be happy to see you're being happy :smile: Goodluck your decision!

I would keep it. Decades from now when your mom is gone, it might be a wonderfully sentimental piece of jewelry to remember her by. Also, styles change, so you might find you prefer the daintier look in the future.
You're right, I think I would regret it down the line. I'm hoping I can pass it down (hopefully I have daughters lol). It's a size 16 so hopefully they have small wrists, and hopefully I don't outgrow it anytime soon.

You would absolutely regret it - why sell a gift from your mum who won't be around forever? :heart:

There is also no rule that you must wear all Cartier pieces at once. If you don't like to stack, put it away and do not wear it. Maybe there will be times where you want to wear the small versus classic - you can definitely wear them alone. I don't wear all of my pieces at once - I have fun changing up my bracelets.

You would absolutely regret it - why sell a gift from your mum who won't be around forever? :heart:

There is also no rule that you must wear all Cartier pieces at once. If you don't like to stack, put it away and do not wear it. Maybe there will be times where you want to wear the small versus classic - you can definitely wear them alone. I don't wear all of my pieces at once - I have fun changing up my bracelets.
Also true! I just feel like it's a waste when I'm not always wearing them because they're so pricy lol. I took it off for a few days and I felt guilty, but need to get over it.

I agree with everyone else. I would never sell. In fact, I was also gifted 2 plain regular loves (wg and yg) and even though I got the same set but with 4 diamonds, I never intend to sell the plain. I do wear/rotate them and will pass to my daughter in the future :heart:

• Love
Reactions: 880 and yayaisnan
I think the idea that she saved up money to buy the love is so sweet... so to me, that’s enough for me to keep the jewelry. My mother has gifted me several pieces of her jewelry- and even though they’re not my style, I occasionally take them out and wear then when I’m thinking of her (we live in different countries and I haven’t seen her in person for over 2 years).

About 4 years ago my mom bought me the small white love. I had always always wanted the classic regular, but I know the small was in her price range more, and she always said I should get the classic for myself as a gift for achieving something, or when married etc. I really wanted to return it and fund the difference of the regular myself, but I felt way too awful. I knew she had saved for me and I didn't want to offend her. I recently purchased myself a classic love, and I don't like stacking. I want to sell it, and maybe use the funds to buy my mom her own Love, but i don't know if this is rude and if i would regret it. I feel later in life i'll appreciate having it, but I don't gravitate towards it now :sad: Anyone have similar experience
I don't have a similar experience. But, if I was in your shoes and money is not an issue, I wouldn't sell it because of the love and thoughtfulness that your mom put into buying the small white "love". The bracelet then becomes even more precious to me because of the symbolism and the very essence of it. You can always buy your mom a present you can afford without selling the love that she gave you.