Is it offensive to sell an item received as a gift?

I think it just personal preference. I tend to get very sentimental with any gift from my family so even if I don't like it, I can't part with it even if I'm not using them. If the gift is from other than family, I don't have that issue. Frankly, as long as the person is not going to find out, you're not hurting anyone's feeling & I don't think it's an issue.

I’m going to offer another side for your thoughts.

One of my close girlfriend’s mother passed down some jewelry, including Cartier pieces, diamonds and fine gems. However, she’s revealed to me that her mother has been consistently abusive to her - I even witnessed some verbal abuse when I was with them together. She confided in me that at one point during her childhood, a stranger on the street saw her mother hitting her in the head with a handbag or book or something, and the stranger threatened to report it to Protective Children Services.

In this case, would you keep or sell the jewelry?

Reactions: yayaisnan

One of my close girlfriend’s mother passed down some jewelry, including Cartier pieces, diamonds and fine gems. However, she’s revealed to me that her mother has been consistently abusive to her - I even witnessed some verbal abuse when I was with them together. She confided in me that at one point during her childhood, a stranger on the street saw her mother hitting her in the head with a handbag or book or something, and the stranger threatened to report it to Protective Children Services.

Crazy! I would definitely sell if it brought back traumatizing memories

Reactions: Classy Collector

In this case, I think it would be "offensive" to keep the jewelry because it brings back bad memories and trauma. I would not hesitate to sell.

Reactions: Classy Collector