Is it normal to feel a little nauseous when purchasing an expensive bag?

Oh definitely agree with you! I think its just a matter of us getting older and wanting the better things in life. Also, if depends on what it is. Like you've mentioned, I can justify a bag (with a price limit lol) cause I know I'll take care of it and it'll last for decades.

I too need to really ground myself and keep telling myself to be grateful so I don't keep wanting lavishing things. Yes, even if we can afford it, sometimes it's just not necessary. I think I'll be happy eating a fast food burger vs eating a burger that costs say xx. I know some people that pays hundreds for a meal and I can't see myself doing that. Vacations are different imo. Those are life experiences that I think its def worth the splurge.

Love vacation! Agree experience over material in most cases :biggrin: until I see another bag or jewelry that I really want. LOL

Perhaps eye shadow is consumables? Once hits pan, then you know the $200 is forever gone vs a $7000 bag will be around long long time?

So true about thinking $300 bag is expensive when in school. I remember buying my first Marc by Marc Jacob and dropped around $400 for it. I had a hard time parting with that cash and now Chanel :amazed:
The amount of disposable income does matter in these cases... and I once heard once we recognize, want, and try the finer things in life, it is hard to turn back.... kinda agree with that thought too.

I think for eyeshadows it’s because I know I’m never going to hit pan, and I already have 30+ palettes, it feels like I’m not going to use them all that much, so I feel somewhat wasteful when I buy them, but with bags I know I will use them.

it’s definitely true that once you have nice things, it’s hard to go back. I used to loooove my high street bags, now they mostly sit on my shelf because I always prefer a Chanel.

Yes I do. I have no debt at all, a few properties (no mortgages as said re debt), fabulous cars & 2 kids in private schools and I feel awful when I buy. It sounds so silly but every $ I spend is less for my kids in the long run. They are my world and I feel selfish. Please don’t misunderstand my kids are not spoilt at all - other than their education we make them pay their way but I never want them to struggle. Mother’s guilt especially as one of my kids has additional needs. However, I totally understand those that don’t - each to their own!

I think for eyeshadows it’s because I know I’m never going to hit pan, and I already have 30+ palettes, it feels like I’m not going to use them all that much, so I feel somewhat wasteful when I buy them, but with bags I know I will use them.

it’s definitely true that once you have nice things, it’s hard to go back. I used to loooove my high street bags, now they mostly sit on my shelf because I always prefer a Chanel.

Yeh make up is so pretty, can be hard to resist too and especially they have a "shelf life" or before too much bacteria built up period then can't use them anymore!

It is bad but I have been telling myself not to get chanel beauty or Hermes beauty stuff. I really like the packaging.... like the chanel nail polish or the Hermes lip stick or blush. Likely the product is no different but the packaging and the brand jack the price up by 10x. Sigh... our dilemmas.

I dont mind spending money on high street brand bags if they are just a very trendy one. I rather do that than spend a few thousand on a trend chanel and then it goes put of style completely.

Yeh make up is so pretty, can be hard to resist too and especially they have a "shelf life" or before too much bacteria built up period then can't use them anymore!

It is bad but I have been telling myself not to get chanel beauty or Hermes beauty stuff. I really like the packaging.... like the chanel nail polish or the Hermes lip stick or blush. Likely the product is no different but the packaging and the brand jack the price up by 10x. Sigh... our dilemmas.

I dont mind spending money on high street brand bags if they are just a very trendy one. I rather do that than spend a few thousand on a trend chanel and then it goes put of style completely.
Completely agree on buying high street brands of its just a trend bag. I know alot of people like the bottega dumpling bag or the jodie bag. But there's so many dupes out there that I can't even tell which is real and which is the dupe. Dupe, not replica, because there's obvious logo on the real bag. Same with their shoes.

Reactions: OCMomof3 and Clb09
Completely agree on buying high street brands of its just a trend bag. I know alot of people like the bottega dumpling bag or the jodie bag. But there's so many dupes out there that I can't even tell which is real and which is the dupe. Dupe, not replica, because there's obvious logo on the real bag. Same with their shoes.
I love the comment “the Bottega dumpling bag”. I think it looks like a toothless mouth. I work and save up to purchase my bags/clothes/shoes so on one hand I feel like purchasing some of the things I love shouldn’t be an issue, on the other hand when I make high price point purchases I do get extremely anxious.

I love the comment “the Bottega dumpling bag”. I think it looks like a toothless mouth. I work and save up to purchase my bags/clothes/shoes so on one hand I feel like purchasing some of the things I love shouldn’t be an issue, on the other hand when I make high price point purchases I do get extremely anxious.
Oooof it's been a whole week since my purchase and I'm still anxious and a bit nauseous lol

Reactions: janetaz

Oh that Hermes blush packaging!! Even after multiple reviews saying that the formula and performance are just mediocre and not at all worth the price tag, I still find myself mildly wanting one, just to have one (which makes absolutely no sense).

Chanel beauty on the other hand, I do feel like the formula is comparable or somewhat superior to other luxury make up lines. Their blushes are very friendly to Grand Canyon size pores. Their eyeshadow quads (the updated formula for the more recent palettes) have some of the creamiest consistencies, essentially blend themselves, have excellent color payoff with minimal fallout. The lipsticks, especially the rouge coco flashes, are universally flattering, somehow, and that double ended liquid lipstick (forgot the name) that can last through a Chinese hotpot meal, I mean just pure black magic. The nail polishes...I agree, not worth the price tag, but that summer les beiges collection, omg drools.

Yeah at one point I was interested in at least one bag from Dior, Chloe, Celine, Bottega (the mini Jodie), and LV, but had to make the decision to concentrate my bag collection so I don't end up with 50 bags in one year. I don't know, for some reason after diving into Chanel, every other bag besides the Hermes B/K feels like a trend bag.

The very first time it then it quickly subsides and then you just get used to it. Lol

exactly how I felt after buying my first 1k+ laptop in college XD

Oh that Hermes blush packaging!! Even after multiple reviews saying that the formula and performance are just mediocre and not at all worth the price tag, I still find myself mildly wanting one, just to have one (which makes absolutely no sense).

Chanel beauty on the other hand, I do feel like the formula is comparable or somewhat superior to other luxury make up lines. Their blushes are very friendly to Grand Canyon size pores. Their eyeshadow quads (the updated formula for the more recent palettes) have some of the creamiest consistencies, essentially blend themselves, have excellent color payoff with minimal fallout. The lipsticks, especially the rouge coco flashes, are universally flattering, somehow, and that double ended liquid lipstick (forgot the name) that can last through a Chinese hotpot meal, I mean just pure black magic. The nail polishes...I agree, not worth the price tag, but that summer les beiges collection, omg drools.

LOL I love your comment about the liquid lipstick and the hot pot meal, and the Grand Canyon pore size. HAHAHHA I might have to just go and check these items out because your description made it worthwhile. I mean who doesn't want a lip product that we don't have to re-apply after every sip of water!!!

• Haha
Reactions: lala_retro
We understand. When I first started this bag journey the idea of spending $300 on a HANDBAG was ludicrous. Fast forward to my buying a preowned LV yesterday. While I don't feel ill or guilty about a bag purchase, I have learned that I have certain limit that i am not willing to go beyond. I did once one time and I could never enjoy the bag. Every time I looked at it I thought about how much I had spent and I did not enjoy that bag any more than the $300-400 ones. So I keep mself under this limit at all times and never feel bad about my purchases.
We all have to find our sweet spots in this bag journey. Good luck. You will find yours.

I agree with another poster that if you truly feel physically ill, then ownership of the bag may never bring you anything but guilt and unhappiness.

I hold the same limit. I try to stick under $300. I’ll pop to $400 if it’s a bag I’ve wanted for years and years (my mono speedy for example). Otherwise it’s all secondhand, and I will search for years to find that bag I’ve wanted in the condition I want at that pricepoint. Otherwise, no dice. I’ve amassed a nice little collection that I rotate almost daily and get such joy from. However, I couldn’t go beyond those limits and feel good about it. Interestingly, my secondhand goals haven’t changed regardless of how much I make, so for me that’s a good thing. We all have different tolerances and it’s interesting to see other perspectives on here. No judgment, handbags are a shared love ❤️ And I’m here for it.

Hello, I worked for Chanel for many years. There is a difference in buying Chanel and Hermes bags versus other designers. Chanel bags increase in value if not at least retain their value. I wouldn't feel guilty about such a purchase knowing that for the most part you can get the value of the bag back at a certain point. I will say however, guilt should not be part of your purchase. It should be a fun and rewarding experience for you. If you do feel guilty, maybe there are other issues involved you need to address. But if you have the money and you are spending it responsibly, meaning other areas in your life are not being sacrificed for the purchase, you should not feel guilty. Money is the most relative thing on earth. I worked with clients who spent over a million dollars a year on their handbags and wardrobe. They also did amazing other things for people with their money. So one should never feel guilty about what you responsibly choose to spend on yourself if you are able.