Is it normal to feel a little nauseous when purchasing an expensive bag?

This is so true. I stopped buying cheap(er), casual bags for this reason. Some people do carry around their inexpensive Target or fast fashion bags for a long time and that's awesome - I just could never do it... something about the expensiveness and classic-ness of (some) luxury bags keep them in my rotation for a long time. For example I was out of my mind when I bought my Neverfull in my early 20s but 10 years on it's still my One tote bag for travel and work. It's well earned its keep.
I learned that the hard way. I use to opt for fast fashion shops (h&m, forever21, zara, etc) thinking I'm saving. But it wasn't until the pandemic that when I started selling some unused items to fund for what I want, it barely sold for half or wven 25% of what I spent originally on it. But other things I spent a bit more on such as Anine Bing t shirts, i was able to make back all if not 70% of what I spent on it.

Now when i purchase an item accessories wise, I hate it but to be realistic, I want to make sure I at least make back 70% of what I originally bought it for. At least that way, if I want to sell it to fund for a new item, I won't feel like I'm literally giving the darn thing away at such a low price.

Don't you hate it when people shame you for feeling guilty about big purchases? Sometimes I see this "if you have to think about it, you can't afford it" type of attitude and I don't get it. I find usually the people feeling the worst about it are those who can well afford it but just more frugal spenders in other areas of their lives. The ones spending like they're at Vegas every day are usually the ones who can afford it the least - or they're making money from it, eg influencers.

Don't you hate it when people shame you for feeling guilty about big purchases? Sometimes I see this "if you have to think about it, you can't afford it" type of attitude and I don't get it. I find usually the people feeling the worst about it are those who can well afford it but just more frugal spenders in other areas of their lives. The ones spending like they're at Vegas every day are usually the ones who can afford it the least - or they're making money from it, eg influencers.
It's so true! I know people who are well off and own multiple properties. Yet, they work a regular job and sometimes does uber/lift driving as well. The things they usually spend money on are activities/experience related.

I'm glad to see that a lot of us feel this way and I'm not alone. I recently bought a 21A grey 19 bag and while I was so happy at first that I managed to get it, 2 weeks have passed and I'm feeling the guilt. It's close to $7k in Canadian and when calculating how many mortgage payments that work out to, it's a bit sickening that I dropped such cash!! It did go through my mind that "hey...I have a few Chanel bags already, why do I need another one?"

I agree with a lot of people that have mentioned here already about quality and fast fashion. I think over time, if we get something classic, it'll withstand the passing of time. We'll still feel happy carrying it even if it's 10 year old bag (assuming we bought something that we truly love). Even if it's not a classic and we love it, then who cares what the world says about what's trendy.

I feel a lot of us work hard for the money that we earn and if a Chanel classic flap or Hermes Birkin is what we really want to spend our hard earning money on, then let's do that, as long as we have the means to spend. We only got 1 life and if we don't enjoy a bit if we have the means, then why do we even work? What're we living for? Getting philosophical here.

I'm glad to see that a lot of us feel this way and I'm not alone. I recently bought a 21A grey 19 bag and while I was so happy at first that I managed to get it, 2 weeks have passed and I'm feeling the guilt. It's close to $7k in Canadian and when calculating how many mortgage payments that work out to, it's a bit sickening that I dropped such cash!! It did go through my mind that "hey...I have a few Chanel bags already, why do I need another one?"

I agree with a lot of people that have mentioned here already about quality and fast fashion. I think over time, if we get something classic, it'll withstand the passing of time. We'll still feel happy carrying it even if it's 10 year old bag (assuming we bought something that we truly love). Even if it's not a classic and we love it, then who cares what the world says about what's trendy.

I feel a lot of us work hard for the money that we earn and if a Chanel classic flap or Hermes Birkin is what we really want to spend our hard earning money on, then let's do that, as long as we have the means to spend. We only got 1 life and if we don't enjoy a bit if we have the means, then why do we even work? What're we living for? Getting philosophical here.
I've read from many that its such a slippery slope. Once one get past the nauseous feeling, over time, it becomes easier and easier to throw down that much money.

I agree with you on if we're still happy carrying it 10 years from now. I actually debated on selling my woc to fund the cf, but am so happy I decided to keep it. I purchased the woc years ago preloved and still am not tired of it, though I don't reach for it much (most likely due to covid and the whole hand sanitizer situation). Whereas the other bags I bought, I'm a bit bored of it already

I've read from many that its such a slippery slope. Once one get past the nauseous feeling, over time, it becomes easier and easier to throw down that much money.

I agree with you that if we're still happy carrying it 10 years from now then that's . I actually debated on selling my woc to fund the cf, but am so happy I decided to keep it. I purchased the woc years ago preloved and still am not tired of it, though I don't reach for it much (most likely due to covid and the whole hand sanitizer situation). Whereas the other bags I bought, I'm a bit bored of it already

Agree on the slippery slope part. That's why a lot of us ended up with multiple chanels :eek: in saying that though.... I hope most who own multiples are loving each and everyone of them in their collection. I know I do and still brings me a big smile whenever I use them! :blush:

Hi! Im a little bit late and probably no one will read this I just made my big purchase on a Chanel flap bag and I feel nauseous. I have saved up and made sure I will not be put in debt or have to dig into my personal savings (I made a separate savings just for this purchase).

I've been wanting a Chanel bag for the longest. During the pandemic, I got bored and sold alot of whatever I no longer used and had enough to buy a Chanel black caviar ghw Woc. I thought that would satisfy my urge to want a Chanel flap bag, but nope. Bought some LV and Dior, didn't work. So I consigned with Fashionphile and used the credit I earned on a Chanel caviar mini rectangular. Nope...didn't work. Finally...I took the plunge and bought a preloved Chanel caviar flap with 24k gold. I opted for vintage because after many research, YouTube videos, looking through images from buyers posting about the quality of their new Chanel bags, it was enough to scare me off from the current quality.

I googled about feeling nauseous after the purchase and it brought me here. The price of the vintage bag is pretty much the same as current retail in boutique. I feel sick. I'm not sure why. I saved enough, worked hard over the years, but why do I still feel sick? BTW, i don't plan on buying any Chanels in the near future or spending that amount for Chanel ever again, that I'm pretty positive of, considering I finally got the bag I want and see myself keeping it practically till I'm old and pass it to my future baby. I hope years later, I can look back and say "I got it before its became even more unreachable."

I feel you! If I didn't get my 24k Chanel lambskin Classic Flap, I was just going to long for it forever. Now that I have it, I don't intend to buy Chanel ever again. My need for that classic quilted beauty has been fulfilled and I will enjoy the heck out of that bag until the end. Then, I can will it away to family in the end. lol

This was not an impulse buy for you. You tried other bags and they didn't make your heart sing. You worked hard and sold a few bags to finally get what you coveted. Now, wear it with pure joy in your heart! If you don't feel thrilled when you wear it/look at it, and will not feel regret if it wasn't in your closet any more, then you can resell the bag. Otherwise, keep and enjoy with the knowledge that this is your one Chanel bag you love and worked so very hard to obtain. :heart:

This is so true. I stopped buying cheap(er), casual bags for this reason. Some people do carry around their inexpensive Target or fast fashion bags for a long time and that's awesome - I just could never do it... something about the expensiveness and classic-ness of (some) luxury bags keep them in my rotation for a long time. For example I was out of my mind when I bought my Neverfull in my early 20s but 10 years on it's still my One tote bag for travel and work. It's well earned its keep.

Oh those Target bags! The variety of prints, styles, textures, etc. were mind-boggling, but they all had one thing in common: They'd only last me 1.5-2 years before the glazing or PU would crack and look horrendous. I wish I could reach out through space and time to stop past 20-something me from buying so many of them so I could've had a Neverfull or something equally has classic and heard-wearing.

These aren’t bags that cost pennies so yes sometimes- maybe more often we are just in that situation that we are rushing into buying things. And yes sometimes we aren’t rushing as we have saved, thought about it for months/years and still to think so much money is going towards a ‘simple’ bag cause it’s supposedly luxurious and a big reward for our hard work, accomplishments, birthday, anniversary…even then it just doesn’t make it any easier when we could be adding that money to our retirement funds, investment (real investments!) a house…

I still feel guilty for buying a bag just yesterday that I’ve been thinking of for a couple of years and still that guilt is there.

Truth! Although, if people aren't going into debt for luxury purchases and already have contributed healthy amounts to charity, emergency funds, savings accounts with interest, 401K, Roth IRAs, etc. then I say get those few luxury bags you've slept on for years. I've been lucky enough to be able to take care of all of the above, but I needed to really examine the sources of my anxiety/nausea around getting my Chanel CF and came to this conclusion: It was guilt stemming from childhood scarcity issues and my family's expectations of what money should be spent on. Basically, these were internalized reasons that I created for myself.

Agree on the slippery slope part. That's why a lot of us ended up with multiple chanels :eek: in saying that though.... I hope most who own multiples are loving each and everyone of them in their collection. I know I do and still brings me a big smile whenever I use them! :blush:
It's bad... the other problem I've had is that it makes other very expensive things seem reasonable by comparison. After the $5K+ Chanel pill gets easy to swallow, it becomes even easier to drop $1000 on a pair of shoes for example when in fact that is still a very pricey purchase. You really do have to ground yourself unless you have basically unlimited funds.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I feel mildly regretful after dropping $200 on eyeshadow palettes, but I don't really feel much after spending thousands on Chanels, probably because I always feel very certain about Chanel purchases and am comfortable with the purchase decision. I think I have more anxiety about missing a potential bag I want than nausea about spending that amount.

I do have a friend who feels sick about spending more than 1k on bags, so I do understand the sentiment.

I feel you! If I didn't get my 24k Chanel lambskin Classic Flap, I was just going to long for it forever. Now that I have it, I don't intend to buy Chanel ever again. My need for that classic quilted beauty has been fulfilled and I will enjoy the heck out of that bag until the end. Then, I can will it away to family in the end. lol

This was not an impulse buy for you. You tried other bags and they didn't make your heart sing. You worked hard and sold a few bags to finally get what you coveted. Now, wear it with pure joy in your heart! If you don't feel thrilled when you wear it/look at it, and will not feel regret if it wasn't in your closet any more, then you can resell the bag. Otherwise, keep and enjoy with the knowledge that this is your one Chanel bag you love and worked so very hard to obtain. :heart:

Oh those Target bags! The variety of prints, styles, textures, etc. were mind-boggling, but they all had one thing in common: They'd only last me 1.5-2 years before the glazing or PU would crack and look horrendous. I wish I could reach out through space and time to stop past 20-something me from buying so many of them so I could've had a Neverfull or something equally has classic and heard-wearing.

Truth! Although, if people aren't going into debt for luxury purchases and already have contributed healthy amounts to charity, emergency funds, savings accounts with interest, 401K, Roth IRAs, etc. then I say get those few luxury bags you've slept on for years. I've been lucky enough to be able to take care of all of the above, but I needed to really examine the sources of my anxiety/nausea around getting my Chanel CF and came to this conclusion: It was guilt stemming from childhood scarcity issues and my family's expectations of what money should be spent on. Basically, these were internalized reasons that I created for myself.

Aww thank you so much! I never looked at it from that point of view :smile: you made me feel alot more at ease now ❤

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I feel mildly regretful after dropping $200 on eyeshadow palettes, but I don't really feel much after spending thousands on Chanels, probably because I always feel very certain about Chanel purchases and am comfortable with the purchase decision. I think I have more anxiety about missing a potential bag I want than nausea about spending that amount.

I do have a friend who feels sick about spending more than 1k on bags, so I do understand the sentiment.

That use to be me except for that was over a $100 bag from Kate Spade. I was in college then. I guess our income plays a big roll with how comfortable we are on how much we spend.

It's bad... the other problem I've had is that it makes other very expensive things seem reasonable by comparison. After the $5K+ Chanel pill gets easy to swallow, it becomes even easier to drop $1000 on a pair of shoes for example when in fact that is still a very pricey purchase. You really do have to ground yourself unless you have basically unlimited funds.
Yes!!!!!!!!!! This! I don't feel as bad buying a bunch of little $1000 things because it's cheaper than my other purses. My husband too feels great when I tell him I purchased something for $1000 vs $5000. Hhaah so he even has that problem now because of chanel . Hahah

That use to be me except for that was over a $100 bag from Kate Spade. I was in college then. I guess our income plays a big roll with how comfortable we are on how much we spend.

Haha when I was in college I thought buying from a Coach boutique (i.e. not an outlet) was such a splurge XD. Oh how the time has changed.

Income definitely factors in. Back when I was in school and didn’t make my own money, $300+ on a bag seemed exorbitant, but I also didn’t think anything of it when my mother would buy Chanel bags, it just seemed natural that “adult” bags cost more. But I know ladies that have similar salaries to mine and think spending 7k on a bag is craziness (except for an Hermès, somehow that’s exempt from judgment). So I think it also boils down to spending habit and what price points a person is used to.

So true about grounding!!! I justify myself for not buying $1000 shoes because they are on my feet and getting dirty walking around with them. Some of the designer shoes are so pretty but I'd say to myself how much use would I get out of them. Similarly to designer sneakers. I have a hard time justifying.... cause they wear the same as say like a pair of Adidas.

Perhaps eye shadow is consumables? Once hits pan, then you know the $200 is forever gone vs a $7000 bag will be around long long time?

Haha when I was in college I thought buying from a Coach boutique (i.e. not an outlet) was such a splurge XD. Oh how the time has changed.

Income definitely factors in. Back when I was in school and didn’t make my own money, $300+ on a bag seemed exorbitant, but I also didn’t think anything of it when my mother would buy Chanel bags, it just seemed natural that “adult” bags cost more. But I know ladies that have similar salaries to mine and think spending 7k on a bag is craziness (except for an Hermès, somehow that’s exempt from judgment). So I think it also boils down to spending habit and what price points a person is used to.

So true about thinking $300 bag is expensive when in school. I remember buying my first Marc by Marc Jacob and dropped around $400 for it. I had a hard time parting with that cash and now Chanel :amazed:
The amount of disposable income does matter in these cases... and I once heard once we recognize, want, and try the finer things in life, it is hard to turn back.... kinda agree with that thought too.

So true about grounding!!! I justify myself for not buying $1000 shoes because they are on my feet and getting dirty walking around with them. Some of the designer shoes are so pretty but I'd say to myself how much use would I get out of them. Similarly to designer sneakers. I have a hard time justifying.... cause they wear the same as say like a pair of Adidas.

Perhaps eye shadow is consumables? Once hits pan, then you know the $200 is forever gone vs a $7000 bag will be around long long time?

So true about thinking $300 bag is expensive when in school. I remember buying my first Marc by Marc Jacob and dropped around $400 for it. I had a hard time parting with that cash and now Chanel :amazed:
The amount of disposable income does matter in these cases... and I once heard once we recognize, want, and try the finer things in life, it is hard to turn back.... kinda agree with that thought too.
Oh definitely agree with you! I think its just a matter of us getting older and wanting the better things in life. Also, if depends on what it is. Like you've mentioned, I can justify a bag (with a price limit lol) cause I know I'll take care of it and it'll last for decades.

I too need to really ground myself and keep telling myself to be grateful so I don't keep wanting lavishing things. Yes, even if we can afford it, sometimes it's just not necessary. I think I'll be happy eating a fast food burger vs eating a burger that costs say xx. I know some people that pays hundreds for a meal and I can't see myself doing that. Vacations are different imo. Those are life experiences that I think its def worth the splurge.